desert island sansui

B

brians7

The first thing I would like to say is that it is really nice to find a web site with people, with the same interest as my self. I am new to this forum, but have read most of your postes. Yall ( must be from Texas) have me really excited about purchaseing some Sansui gear. My current system consist of VAC (Valve amplification company) El34 bassed power amp and also a tube preamp. My speakers are Klipsch La Scala's. I find myself eager to try out vintage stero equipment. I have tried several different brands Mc Intosh MX115 and 2105, Luxman Lab reference amp 5M21, Marantz model 15 amp and model 33 preamp.

My question is for a newbe to sansui what would be the best to start off with, and which would be better, and why? I have considered puchaseing a G9000 or 9090 recevier or would it be better to purchase a intergrated amp and preamp like the AU 9900 and TU 9900,or AU919 and TU919. Althought it looks like I would prefer the AU 20000 and TU9900 over any of the other combinations if I could get my hands on them at affordable price. I look forward to hearing any of your comment or suggestions.

Thanks Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Brian,Beatlefred is an expert on Sansui,I have two sansuis,great intergrated amps.Enjoy your stay here,this place can be a real de-stresser after a rough day!

Best

opt80

Well, there's alot to choose from, and I think ultimately you should get what YOU like best, but IMO, the ones that I would put at the forefront:

Receivers: 7070 on up to 9090DB, there were 3 generations of G's: so : G-6000 on up to G-9000, G-5500 up to G-7500, G-7700 up to G-9700.

Tuners: TU-9900, TU-717, TU-719, TU-919, TU-S9.

Integrateds: AU-20000, AU-11000, AU-9900, AU-717, AU-719, AU-919, AU-D11, D11II.

Amps/Preamps: BA-2000, BA-3000, CA-2000, CA-3000.

Note: I left some models off the List because they be would be very expensive and rarely for sale: Ex: G-22000, G-33000, AU-X1, TU-X1, BA-5000. The AU-20000 I did put on List but that one could also fall into the rare/expensive catgory.

In general, the bigger it is, means more wattage and features, thus the higher the price- therefore, models like the G-9000 and TU-9900 are going to be more expensive- closer to $500- 600 instead of say, $200-300. So, you have to decide on what your budget is.

My List leans more toward later 70's Sansui- but thats just my preference, though models from the mid and early 70's would be ok too- though the risk of age related problems becomes higher too. For ex, the 881....221 Receiver Line (1973-75) is certainly nice- but along comes the awesome 9090DB...5050 (1976-77) Line to replace it and so, it sortve overshadows the models that came before it.

Also- the type of speakers you have are very important too. If they are a bit demanding as mine are, I would suggest going with models from 60 Watts rms on up- thats why I started my List with 7070 and I include models like the G-5500 - as I have both, both are 60W and they both are fine with my 87DB sensitive, 4 ohm Infinity Renaissance 90 Speakers. I also think most Vintage enthusiasts like those power meters- the lower models in the line- like 6060, 5050, G-5000...2000 dont have them. Up to you whether that really matters or not.

Hope this info has been helpful. ( And to some other folks reading this- there's only so much typing I can do- so if I left a model off the List- just SIMMER DOWN, that doesnt means its not good, its quite possible I just forgot to include it.)

Regards, B/F.

Nah, great list and fine summary, BF!
'Course, y'all know me, I like 'em big bold & bad!
Sounds like for Brian, I'd suggest an integrated amp, the AU-719 or 919 especially, and you could add a tuner (hey, doesn't need to be Sansui, I like the mix-n-match of separates, what the hey) later.
The later 2101 200 wpc amp with a CA-2000/3000 would be cool, and not a ball-buster.

Oh, man, I love the hunt!!

enjoy
pete

Beatlefred. What about.....

The AU-919 Integrated? Did you intentionally leave it off, or was it just a slip?

I have one, along with its associated TU-919 Tuner.

I have to say that the AU-919 is the only SS Integrated in my possesion that compares very favorably to the "Tube Sound".

This is IMHO and comes from a person that also has McIntosh, HH Scott, Dynaco, and Kenwood Tube Gear.

My suggestion: AU-D11 and AU-D11 2.

Two of the most powerful and best sounding integrateds Sansui ever produced (IMO). Also, they tend to sell for less than most of Sansui's other higher powered (100 WPC or more) integrateds.

AU-G99X

Like the D11 and D11 2, this amp represents a real bargain among Sansui integrateds. Its rated at a manly 160 WPC, features Sansui's X-Balanced circuitry, and sounds fantastic (again, IMO).

AU-517

Much cheaper than its big brother, the 717. It is a little less powerful but it still utilizes the dual mono design.

Consult BeatleFred for any further details about these fine units. He's the mofo with the info! :D

Pat

I think that all the earlier Sansui AU integrateds are fine as well as the Receivers, and if anyone has a particular model they are very fond of- thats Great, but my personal preference in hi fi equipment is for the models that were introduced a few more years into the 70's such as the AU-717- I already posted this Link, but I shall post it again in case you havent read it, if you scroll all the way down, all the Info thats written there- well, that says it all. The earlier 70's AU's were nice, but I think the later 70's models, in terms of its circuit design, were considerably more advanced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3009748256&category=3280

Pat- I do have one very minor "gripe" about the D11 & D11 II- no click stop volume control which the AU-x17 Series and AU-x19 series does:) That wouldve been the icing on the cake if it had that added elegance to the feel of the Volume control. Not that its bad at all the way it is, far from it, but I think that click stop wouldve been nice.

Yes- models like AU-517, 417 etc.. and their matching tuners would be good buys as well, again- depends somewhat on what speakers you have and how easy/difficult they might be to drive, if someone can upgrade a bit more and has a choice between them, I certainly encourage spending the lil' extra for an AU-717/TU-717. Same applies in comparing the AU-D9 to D11.

Regards, B/F.

Re: Sorry, Slip of the Fingers

Originally posted by Raycomics
I meant the AU-999 Integrated, and associated TU-999.

I like them a lot :)

I have a AU-555; a great little Giant Killer.

I wrote a review for my integrated here - AU-555 Review

It's a great amp, it has been in my family since it was bought brand new in 1970, and has visited the tech only once in 2000 :eek: Not bad at all IMO.

Chris

Re: Re: Sorry, Slip of the Fingers

Originally posted by ckelly

I wrote a review for my integrated here - AU-555 Review

Great Review! I agree 100%

It is good to know that I am not alone in my praise.

I will never sell "Raycomics Jr".

Is it a form of insanity to give your vintage stuff a name as well as a home?

Don't know if it's more insane than being a member of an audio board :huge:.... many people don't understand the hobby.

Hmmm - I might have to think of a name for my amp - my only piece coming with me across the world to Sydney - the amp will have made it full circle: It was bought brand new in Sydney, travelled to Monterrey (Mexico), Singapore, Mexico City, Boston, Santiago de Chile and now again to Sydney. :eek:

Chris

World Traveler

WOW! your passport must be full of stamps!

I have been to Santiago, Chile. Beautiful Country with Beautiful people. (esp the Women!)

The only thing that I was uncomfortable with were the policeman on every street corner with machine guns.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the music!

I really appreciate all your responses and information. I am still very interested in purchaseing some sansui gear. I will probaly go with a reciever or intergrated amp. and tuner. I really like the 9000 model reciveres do you feel like that in the 4000-7000 you get the same quality of sound just lower power and less features. With the intergrated amp I have not decided on one yet. Which in your oppion has the better sound, and quality built out of these 7700 or 6900. And same goes with the 919or 717. I really perfer the look of the 5900 series out of all the above, although the aesthetic appreance doesn't matter to me that much, but my wife would not allow me to put in the living room what she would conside to be ancient and ugly, so it must look good and match. Do the TU X700 and X900 tuners match either of the AU X700 or AU X900 intergrated amps. In other words are the tuners from both series match . Example AU 7700 and TU 5900. Thanks Brian

My vote is for the 999 series Integrated and tuner. Man its hard to beat their prices and the sound quality !

Grumpy

Re: World Traveler

Originally posted by Raycomics
WOW! your passport must be full of stamps!

I have been to Santiago, Chile. Beautiful Country with Beautiful people. (esp the Women!)

The only thing that I was uncomfortable with were the policeman on every street corner with machine guns.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the music!

:)

My passports when I was a kid are full of stamps from all over the place :) I have been here in Chile since 1988.

When were you in Chile? Did you get to see other parts of the country?

Women here are a sight to behold.

Policemen dressed in green with a standard issue UZI, they look scary, but they are the only police force in ALL South America that is composed of HONEST policemen - and I prefer a menacing looking honest cop than a corrupt police force like ones seen in other countries.

I was talking to my dad and he told me the amp will ALMOST make full circle... it was bought in Melbourne and I'll be in Sydney.

Chris

Originally posted by brians7
I really appreciate all your responses and information. I am still very interested in purchaseing some sansui gear. I will probaly go with a reciever or intergrated amp. and tuner. I really like the 9000 model reciveres do you feel like that in the 4000-7000 you get the same quality of sound just lower power and less features. With the intergrated amp I have not decided on one yet. Which in your oppion has the better sound, and quality built out of these 7700 or 6900. And same goes with the 919or 717. I really perfer the look of the 5900 series out of all the above, although the aesthetic appreance doesn't matter to me that much, but my wife would not allow me to put in the living room what she would conside to be ancient and ugly, so it must look good and match. Do the TU X700 and X900 tuners match either of the AU X700 or AU X900 intergrated amps. In other words are the tuners from both series match . Example AU 7700 and TU 5900. Thanks Brian

The sound and build quality tends to be homogenous through the whole series, what varies is the Power output and features (e.g. how many tape loops the unit has or how many pairs of speakers you can connect). My amp sounds just as good as the TOTL AU999 only it has less power and fewer features (I can only plug 2 pairs of speakers instead of three, etc.)

The tuners match in most cases e.g. - a TU7900 tuner will match a AU7900 amp.

Below is a pic of a AU7900

4 ckelly

I was in Chile in March, 1995 as part of a 4 Country (Argentina, Peru, and Venezuela) work assignment for a Fortune 500 Telecommunications Company. (I am sure you know which one)

It was THE BEST work and play job assignment that I ever had!

People who I have never met beforehand genuinely treated me like I was a part of their family. I still miss it to this day.

Back
Top Bottom