Design Acoustics DA-900 Speakers

relaximus

Consoles 'Я' Us
Does anyone have an opinion on these? I've had PS-10's and enjoyed them, but that's about the extent of my experience with DA speakers. I can pick up these DA-900's with refoamed woofers for $60. Worth a shot?

Dave

I've never heard the DA-900's, but I still have a pair of PS-6 bookshelf speakers. I bought them sometime in the mid '80's (I think). I re-foamed one of the PS-6's (still need to do the other) and it sounded good as new. Check out the article/excerpt below ... sounds like the DA-900's might be a good find.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-01-29/entertainment/9303173566_1_small-speakers-da-woofer

"We've previously given favorable reviews to DA's less expensive "Point Source" models. These small speakers sound exceptional for their price. It's not always easy to transfer the ability to make great small speakers into even better large speakers. DA succeeded with the DA900."

Last edited:
"The only area where DA could improve the DA900 would be in ambience. There is insufficient openness and airiness to the sound. Although not obvious, DA could probably lower distortion a notch. That might open up the sound."

What an F'in stupid statement.

I have a pair of PS-10s and a pair of PS-6s. I love them both. If the DA-900s are a larger far more expensive when new sibling, I would probably love them too.

There were a lot of speakers made in those times. DA is one that I always think well of.

....and 60 bucks is peanuts. You haven't left to go get them yet? Don't dawdle.

Hey DCinDC,

Couldn't agree with you more about the "F'in stupid statement". I think some of those "audiophiles" back in the day would have made good wine reviewers ... I can just hear it now:
"There is insufficient openness and airiness to the sound, and yet, the fruitiness of the mid-range tones is pleasing to the discerning palate" LOL

By the way, I thought I was the only guy still listening to PS-6's. Gotta re-foam my other speaker so I can have a working pair again. Been a couple years since I last listened to them. Rock on!

Glad I'm not alone!

I put Vifa woofers in my PS-6s rather than refoam, and they are astounding. Even my SO said so.

The bloom of the highs brings flatulence to my derrier....

Did you try the Design Acoustics DA-900's?

If so, what did you think?
Did you buy them?
If you part them out, I REALLY NEED A WOOFER PLEASE!:tears:
THESE THINGS SHOULD BE SWEET IF I CAN GET THEM GOING!
Thanks

I just had a pair of Design Acoustics DA 900 speakers upgraded in the crossovers and also had the bottom firing woofers re foamed. They aren't even broken in yet but they do sound reallly good in my surround system with a Denon 3808ci receiver. Problem is, I bought these speakers mainly because of their pristine condition but as most always seems to happen...The shop I took them to in Knoxville destroyed one of the metal emblems that sit just under the mid range speaker.. Soooo. does anybody know where I might find another?

Back
Top Bottom