Design Acoustics PS-10A

My ps10a speakers I picked up a pair for 10 bucks both woofers were shot needed surrounds the magnets are very small and not a good looking woofer at all I replaced them with something comparable but more stout in wattage niw they good bass and reliable.

Little help?
I'm a newbie, here's my situation. A drummer, I have not worked since March, 2020. Sold off a bunch of studio gear, and found myself w/o speakers.
Bought two pairs of PS-10A spkrs at auction for the grand sum of $32.00. Both pairs sounded great- tight, clean bass and very balanced. I was very happy.
Now, 4 weeks later- they all sound like hell. Instead of bass, it sounds like dragging a tin bucket down a dirt road. I read all the stuff above about refoaming the woofers, but the foam on all 4 woofers seems intact and feels like... well, foam. Like thin, pliable sponge. No debris, etc.
Wha hap?
BTW, doing the re-foam as described above is not above my skill level, but beyond my patience.
If I wasted $32.00, I'll deal. But, I'm mystified.

Little help?
I'm a newbie, here's my situation. A drummer, I have not worked since March, 2020. Sold off a bunch of studio gear, and found myself w/o speakers.
Bought two pairs of PS-10A spkrs at auction for the grand sum of $32.00. Both pairs sounded great- tight, clean bass and very balanced. I was very happy.
Now, 4 weeks later- they all sound like hell. Instead of bass, it sounds like dragging a tin bucket down a dirt road. I read all the stuff above about refoaming the woofers, but the foam on all 4 woofers seems intact and feels like... well, foam. Like thin, pliable sponge. No debris, etc.
Wha hap?
BTW, doing the re-foam as described above is not above my skill level, but beyond my patience.
If I wasted $32.00, I'll deal. But, I'm mystified.
Welcome to AK!

Have you checked the drivers in the bottom of the cabinet, or the 5" mid-woofer? It sounds like the woofer foam has gone out completely.

Remove the bases and inspect the woofers. If the foam surrounds are original, I’d be shocked they are still in tact, and they will need replacing. Are the mids and tweeters producing clear sound? Mids have rubber surrounds, so fo replacement needed. Also, remove the woofers and check that the tonsil leads are no frayed or breaking where they are soldered to the leads.
Also, the caps may need replacing, pretty simple crossovers in these. They are excellent speakers worth refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom