Desktop DAC w/ volume control for power amp

ljbrandt

Looking for recommendations on a DAC to use as a DAC/preamp for a desktop setup with a dedicated power amp. I want to avoid separate a DAC and preamp to minimize the component chain to the speakers. Not looking to spend more than $300-400. Used is fine.

In my (relatively short) experience as a frugal audiophile, I've come to believe that buying older/used hi-end speakers and components yields the best sonic results. I also believe that Chinese and DIY made stuff is some of the best bang for buck stuff out there.

I'm currently using a Stoner Acoustics UD120 dac with a Gemtune 300b integrated tube amp with MB Quart Vera speakers. The Chinese Gemtune 300b amp is friggin' awesome and wholly recommend it as well as the speakers and DAC.
I recently came into an older McCormack power amp that drives the speakers wonderfully, and although not quite as tantalizing as tube amp, it suits higher energy music better. With this new component, I'd like to combine DAC and volume control without using a device/DAC that employs a headphone amp. This has been hard to find.

If the options aren't great, I'm also considering looking for an older A/V component that uses the Burr Brown PCM 1792 chip as a DAC/preamp.

If you are not picky, I found out that using Foobar2000 as player (with WASAPI or ASIO output) and volume control yields decent results, much better than using straight-up Windows' volume/mixer. That would allow you to use just a DAC connected directly to the power amp.
My desktop DAC is an E-MU 1820m and I am using in Foobar2000 the ASIO drivers. For headphones it has separated manual volume.
For no-frills, but still decent quality: http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Sure, if you are a purist, you would accept nothing but a passive (restive) attenuator between the DAC and power amp. Also that would mean that you will accept nothing but a multibit (R-2R) DAC also :)

Last edited:
I've considered doing that using Music Bee and JRiver, but I prefer something physical to handle (besides my mouse). I'm also trying to use this as an excuse to upgrade my DAC :) I also listen to a lot of youtube audio...laugh if you want, by I am firmly convinced recording quality trumps bit rate/resolution. Just look a the "An Evening w/ Mark Knopfler" concert recordings, simply sublime!

Anyway, a couple DACs that have me interested are the Theta DS Pre Basic (might need to add a USB receiver in the chain though) and the Gustard x20u (maybe too pricey). Also considering a used Yamaha RX-Z9 to use for its DAC section, lol.

The fulla has the perfect functionality I'm looking for, but just seems like a medicore DAC and volume pot.

NuForce DAC80 drop is active for one more day on Massdrop, $299+S/H, seems to be well made and there are some good reviews. As for pre-owned with a physical knob Emotiva Stealth DC-1 should be within your budget, you might me able to find a Centrance DACMini CX with the variable output mod but they are kind of rare, or maybe Benchmark DAC1. If you don't mind to push buttons to control your volume there is also Arcam irDAC-II, and maybe Lavry da11. There are likely others but these are the ones I came across.

Look for a Parasound ZDac V2, or an iFi Micro iDSD. I've used both in the manner you're looking for and both were great. I might say the iFi was better sonically, but the Parasound is a nicer form factor as a preamp.

- Woody

Look for a Parasound ZDac V2, or an iFi Micro iDSD. I've used both in the manner you're looking for and both were great. I might say the iFi was better sonically, but the Parasound is a nicer form factor as a preamp.

- Woody
Thanks Woody
I was under the assumption that the iFi Micro's volume attenuation didn't affect the unit's line out, only the headphone amp output.

Thanks Woody
I was under the assumption that the iFi Micro's volume attenuation didn't affect the unit's line out, only the headphone amp output.

There is a switch to make the rca output volume controlled or fixed. Took me awhile to figure that out before buying one. I used it with a Parasound ZAmp V3 on my desktop for about a year. Really great sounding.

The NANO idsd I think is just fixed output from rcas.

There is a switch to make the rca output volume controlled or fixed. Took me awhile to figure that out before buying one. I used it with a Parasound ZAmp V3 on my desktop for about a year. Really great sounding.

The NANO idsd I think is just fixed output from rcas.
Interesting, I didn't realize that. Now I have to wonder how it would compare to an older theta :)

I've used these ones to drive a power amp successfully: nuforce udac3, audio engine d1, and beresford caiman MKII. The d1 I could not move the volume knob much before it was too loud but there were no channel balance issues so it wasn't an issue. The others had more play but it all depends upon the power amps input impedance and sensitivity. All the Dacs I mentioned above put out 2v but their output impedances are different.

Edit saw your comment about no headphone out. Not sure why that would be an issue as I doubt the dac's line out is driven through the headphone out. I know for certain it is not on the beresford I mentioned above. Anyway, good luck.

Last edited:
Several DACs with headphone amps/outs only have their volume controlled through that output. There are some exceptions, like the iFi Micro iDSD mentioned above which has a toggle.

If you're running Windows, check out the Steinberg UR-22 and UR-28. Both have controls and explicit hardware controlled levels. Both target the pro-sumer market of in-home recordists. As a matter of fact, get over to Sweetwater or Guitar Center to get an eye full of the seemingly hundreds of DACs in your price range.

Cheers,

David

How's the SQ of these budget audio interfaces? I have no first hand experience but came across some opinions it is adequate but not really audiophile grade.

Back
Top Bottom