Desoldering station

I love the CSI 8900. But, like dlucy says, you will need to stay on top of keeping it clean. It does a great job when kept clean. It was on sale for $79 when I picked it up/

I feel compelled to report back--have my Aoyue 474++ on my bench and in-service now. This is my first desoldering station so I cannot compare with other makes and models. I have to say though I'm very pleased. It is working well for me. I'm using it alongside a Hakko FX888D, which I also like.

The Aoyue 474++ came with three different size tips. One replacement spring filter. Five or six replacement sponge filters. Small container of silicon paste to thinly coat spring-filter-interior. Cleaning pin. Cleaning drill bit WITH a hand-drill-holder included. Instruction manual. That's a pretty nice starter kit of consumables.

The station unit is bigger than I thought it would be. Runs pretty quite. The gun fits in the hand and actuates well. Important to follow the directions and clean fairly frequently. Keep the sponge filter dampened. Easy to clean if you stay on top of it. As far as general procedures it helps if you follow arts's pointers (see Post #33).

My early impression is that, if you do any kind of volume desoldering, once you start using one of these and get the hang of it, you're never going back.

For all you 808 users. Here is a tip for saving your pre and ceramic filters. Put a dab of chore boy in the tube. Not much,just enough.View attachment 1200747
Would any steel or copper scrubber likely work, or specifically Chore Boy for some reason? Also, is this likely true with most desoldering guns / stations, or for some reason just the Hakko?

Last edited:
Would any steel or copper scrubber likely work, or specifically Chore Boy for some reason? Also, is this likely true with most desoldering guns / stations, or for some reason just the Hakko?

I have the same question. I just bought a Hakko FR-301 that arrived yesterday. I need to go find the operating instructions because everything in the box was in a non English language.

Carter

Last edited:
Hi Aoyue 474++ users.
I want to buy an Aoyue 474 ++ with some spare tips.
What tip sizes do you recommend?
What other spare parts do you recommend me to buy?

I have been using desoldering gun and it fits my repair needs well enough. I think a good and quality tool and a comfortable table is what it takes to make the repair and trouble-shooting process more efficient.

I downloaded the English operating manual and the Hakko FR-301 is a joy to use. I wish I'd bought it years ago. Simple to use.

Carter

I downloaded the English operating manual and the Hakko FR-301 is a joy to use. I wish I'd bought it years ago. Simple to use.

Carter

Just be well-prepared to clean out the tip very often.

Yes, I've been cleaning the FR-301.

It actually comes with two cleaning wands for cleaning the tool.

Pretty easy to clean.

Carter

Great thread! In the same boat & have several projects this winter that a desoldering gun would be useful to have.

Question,... out of all those recommended here, which would be the easiest and most straightforward to clean? The cleaning process seems to be of prime importance and would be the deal breaker for me.

The Hakko FR-301 is very simple to clean. It comes with two cleaning wands. One for the nozzle (the part that you place over the lead you want to remove solder from) and another larger wand for the tube that leads to the small removable housing where the solder goes. It takes seconds to actually do the cleaning. Easier to do then to explain. It did take me a few minutes to figure out that you need to clean it while it's hot. Sometimes you do have to read the manual....lol. Get a decent vacuum desoldering tool. I will never live without one again. When I think of all the money I spent on solder wick over the years I could have bought a couple of Hakko FR-301's.

Carter

The Hakko FR-301 is very simple to clean. It comes with two cleaning wands. One for the nozzle (the part that you place over the lead you want to remove solder from) and another larger wand for the tube that leads to the small removable housing where the solder goes. It takes seconds to actually do the cleaning. Easier to do then to explain. It did take me a few minutes to figure out that you need to clean it while it's hot. Sometimes you do have to read the manual....lol. Get a decent vacuum desoldering tool. I will never live without one again. When I think of all the money I spent on solder wick over the years I could have bought a couple of Hakko FR-301's.

Carter

Will you be utilizing the simple stand that comes in the Hakko case with this unit or will you purchase a 'beefier' stand?

@dlucy ,... same question.... thanks!

FR-301A.jpeg
Will you be utilizing the simple stand that comes in the Hakko case with this unit or will you purchase a 'beefier' stand?

@dlucy ,... same question.... thanks!

I read about the small cheap stand that it comes with and bought this stand at the same time. It's much nicer and works great.

Hakko 633-01 Iron Holder w/599B Tip Cleaner

Here's a picture showing the new stand and the stand that came with it. The included stand is useless.

Carter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom