Destructive Bass !

JeanP

Hello,
Well you guys have helped before and now I have another issue. My wife recently allowed another Zenith console in the house. Its a sweet piece, a hybrid Zenith MN2670.. I have restored it with new caps to the point that the tuner and phono now sound out of this world. My SS Sylvania has been reduced to the basement. Problem is with Tape/Aux in on the ipod dock or Spotify bluetooth app. Some modern tracks with heavy bass cause the woofers to sound heavily distorted to the point of self destruction. The Left and right hand line in's have a resistor and ceramic cap that may need upgrading or something.
Any helpful advise would be appreciated. Cheers
John

Could very well be somehow, but even at low volume I get a rattling rumble bass sound. Mid and highs are perfect ?

Maybe try a tape deck or CD player. It could be your ipod or Spotify app that is causing this since your phono and tuner sound fine.

are the speakers loose or are the cones damaged? Consoles do tend to have resonance problems. Even a loose wood panel could be buzzing away in there. Might have to push on things to see if it stops.

The MN2670 is very solid build with lots of bracing and should not have any rattles with normal bass even at very high levels. I agree to maybe try a CD player, maybe your IPOD has some kind of boost.
Also, do you have the Extended Bass button on the control panel engaged? If so press it to turn it off.

Ya tried that, plugged in a FM radio into aux and still got the intense bass sound. It's not caused by the cabinet. No extended bass and the ipod boost has been shut off. Ill take a look at the cones but it sounds great in tuner with loud popping bass ( the good kind).

Can you turn down the source? The cabinet may not be able to handle modern line level input voltages. Turn the iPod down to about half volume, and try again.

Charles.

There should be a voltage divider consisting of resistors somewhere near the input terminals. Check the resistors in it, especially the ones between signal and ground make sure they are on spec and not open.

Are you accidently feeding in to a magnetic phono input? If everything sounds extra bassy...could be RIAA deemphasis.

Back
Top Bottom