Detailed pics of Maggie 196 input wiring needed

That pretty much says it all. You should have at least 470K to ground from both of those points. And reading between the tube pin to the input jack should be the 47K grid stopper resistance. I'd pull everything out you have and start over doing just one channel at a time. Put a 47K resistor on the tube terminal, a 470K to ground from the other end of the 47K. Then run a bare signal wire from the junction of the two resistors over to the input jack. If you want to, you can prove it works just by running a 470K to ground from the tube terminal and also a wire from there over to the input. But in the end, the 47K resistor should be used at the tube to provide stopper action. Be sure you're going to the correct tube pin.

Good Luck,

Yeah, it looks like this version really needs that 470k to ground while the 197 doesn't for some reason. Probably different preamp circuits or something.

Sumner2020: Have you gone thru the rest of the circuit and checked to make sure all the voltages are in spec? What about the cathode resistors?

I apologize for not replying back sooner. Life got in the way.

I picked this project back up about a week ago. I went completely through the schematic and amp and found I had indeed made a couple wrong connections. Live and learn. On a positive note I am much better at reading schematics now.

I will posting the results from the readings/voltages I'm getting in the next couple days.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom