Diagnosing crackle on AU-101

Hi, I know it's an old thread, just wanted to say thank you for writing it up.

I had exactly the same issue and exactly the same solution. i just used the phono stage transistors instead of the ones between treble and volume (I don't use phono at the moment) and it works like a charm.

Thanks

Hi, also thanks from Greece for this old, but for vintage lovers, still helpful thread.
I bought my Sansui AU-101 about 6 months ago on a flea-market.
A fantastic simple-to-use, no-nonse and reliable small amp with beautiful vintage design.

After dusting, cleaning the inside, controls & inspecting for leaking caps, I tested it and it worked okay for the last 5 months. Then the same issue occurred a week ago and thanks to this thread on KA, fixing it was a piece of cake. Service manual was easy to find on Internet.
To determine if the crackle came from the end or preamp board, I've opened the underside first to disconnect the preamp's output.
No crackle any more, so it must have come from the preamp board.
On my preamp/tone control board were all 2SC1312 transistors used; TR601 till TR604 and TR701 & TR702.
I've changed all 6 of them for new BC 549's (I'm using the phono inputs as well for testing vintage turntables...) and all is working again; great!

So, thanks again to all of you & greetings from the sunny island of Crete, Greece.

Back
Top Bottom