Dial cord misery...is it always this frustrating?

Bigears

Manager of my own day
So I'm wrapping up the lamp replacement on my 2270. The previous owner had the dial cord off the roller when he attempted the lamp replacement. I get it all together, the dial cord is working pretty nice and I go to heat the shrink tubing on the cord hook and you know what happens next...I melt the dial cord with the heat gun! Talk about luck.

I get some waxed bead string and the SM and try to follow the diagram to restring the cord. What an exercise in frustration. If I get the cord tight, it won't thread correctly on the gyro wheel. If I get the cord on the gryo wheel correct, the cord is too loose. I think about the Japanese factory worker 30 plus years ago that probably strung this bad boy in 15 seconds and get even more pisst.

What is the trick here? Is this a lost art? I followed the sequence outlined in the SM and still no luck.

Yes, it really makes you pissed thinking about this worker who fixed it in seconds. I saw it done at the Bang & Olufsen factory in Denmark some decades ago. They move the hands so fast you don't really catch what they're doing until >>ZOINK<< The string is in place :yes:

Anyway, here's my twist:
The trick to eliminate slack when finished can be done like this,
Start obviously with step 1 but at the wheels 2 & 3 do not put the string in the grove but leave on the top fixing screw (...or if it wont stay put, then under the wheel). On to step 4-7 where you pick up the spring. Make sure the spring is pulled out as much as you can manage and hold, otherwise slack will occur later. Again at step 8 the string is over or under the wheel, not in the grove. Continue onto finish.
Now it's time to put the string in the groves and that's easily accomplished.
Gently turn the gyrowheel and at the same time use a round (..smooth, absolutely without edges!) pin, like a thin screwdriver to follow the string motion around the wheel, prying it over the wheel-edge and into the grove. The grove diameter is just a fraction larger than the fixing screw, tightening up the string fine when it's finally done on all 3 wheels.

Good luck

/tri-comp

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I will give this ago again when my patience recover. I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, but the dial cord wasn't cooperating. I'll post my results once I find success.

Back
Top Bottom