Did Garrard make other decent turntables?

wolster

It seems in my learning about turntables that the 301 and 401 are the only models that get a mention. Is that because they were the only good decks that Garrard made or are there others worth considering?

For example, I have the opportunity to pick up a GT-25P at a reasonable price. Would it be better than my Pro-ject Debut 3?

Thanks for the info that (hopefully) follows. :thmbsp:

wolster

Project Debut III is a much better turntable. Your GT series Garrard was a lesser Garrard. Decent but not that great. The 301 and 401 were Garrard's main superb turntables and they made a few decent automatics.

probably not. Garrard made average stacker decks for consoles and stuff, but nothing really any good sonically.
301, 401 and the Zero 100 are the only ones I know of that were any good. The Zero 100 looks like a step down from the 401/301's, but I may be wrong about that.

Don't forget the Synchro Lab 95B. It has no strobe, or funky tracking arm like the zero 100, but makes up with its wooden tone arm. There are a few other models hopefully someone will mention them.

Most of Garrard's turntables were complete crap.
The 3000 comes to mind. Now that is one complete garbage record changer.
Unreliable mechanism, and complete shit motor.

BSRs are better than most Garrards. The reason why no one ever trashes Garrards is because like the Technics SL-1200, they're extremely overrated.

Last edited:

BSRs are better than most Garrards. The reason why no one ever trashes Garrards is because like the Technics SL-1200, they're extremely overrated.

I partially agree, but not totally. MOST of the Garrard TTs were terrible, but as bad as they were, the BSRs I've seen were EVEN WORSE! :D

Not sure I understand what you are saying about the SL-1200, but it IS a GOOD TT -- not so terribly overrated, IMO, especially at the price that it sells for today!

Garrard did indeed make some other decks that can be classed as 'good', although nowhere near the quality of the 301 and 401.

Sadly, however, the GT25P wasn't one of them, and was from their final days when everything went cheap, plastic and flimsy, and quality control (which had been a bit dodgy for a while) went down the pan completely! Stick with your Pro-Ject - it's a far better deck.

Oh, and don't take Wilkes' comments too seriously - he's just cross because he doesn't know how to fix his Garrard 3000 properly! :D

I have to say that "most" Garrards were not only great tables they were innovative and sonically beautiful. My Zero 100C is one of the best tables I own and I have some worth far more. Today, complete crap is considered baby food for most. In the day of real Hi-Fi these tables ranked with the best.

You are so wrong!

Oh, and don't take Wilkes' comments too seriously - he's just cross because he doesn't know how to fix his Garrard 3000 properly! :D

I agree, if you can't fix em, don't knock what you don't know anything about.:D:D Sorry, my bad. Peace.

The Z3000 is an interesting Garrard model. The drive system is unique.

Regards.:music::music:

edit: Sorry, I meant the Z2000b. That is the machine, and it does have a unique drive system.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
No, none of the other Garrard turntables are up to the level of the 301/401 models. But then, outside of the Thorens 124, Lenco, REK and Empires how many other vintage turntables are? Dual for example made some decent turntables from that era, and none are at that level of performance but are still very well built and respectable turntables.
I personally feel the Garrard Lab 80, 95B, Zero 100 and yes the Type A can provide a pleasant listening experience when properly working and tweaked a bit. If you use them for playing older records on, they all can perform quite well, and IMHO are not considered a worthless turntable.

... I personally feel the Garrard Lab 80, 95B, Zero 100 and yes the Type A can provide a pleasant listening experience when properly working and tweaked a bit. If you use them for playing older records on, they all can perform quite well, and IMHO are not considered a worthless turntable.

The Zero 92 belongs on this list as well. It's not a vintage high-end 'table, but it can certainly provide much listening pleasure if it's properly set up and has a good cartridge mounted.

I have had only one Garrard (back in the day) - every time I would play 'Stairway to Heaven' it would stick - so I went out and bought a Dual 1229. Me and my friend are drinking whisky at my bar with the Garrard on top of the bar, and the Dual cranking 'Stairway' - it gets to the spot where the Garrard always skipped - no skip with the 1229 - off the bar, on to the floor goes the Garrard - friend does a couple of stomps on the Garrard, it's toast - 1229 is home free.

Well people don't give BSRs enough credit.
Just because they come with garbage carts, and they don't look as nice as Garrards (I admit most '70s era BSR changers are ugly as ****), doesn't mean they're entirely shitty. Stick a good cart on a BSR, and you got yourself a surprisingly diecent turntable.
I like turntables that work properly. BSRs are very easy to repair, and once repaired, set up properly, and lubed, they'll be good to you.
I do admit though, the plastic platter does piss me off.

SO I'm not saying they're very good changers, they're just not as bad as people make them out to be.

And then look at some earlier BSRs... I also got an early '60s BSR UA16 changer, and it's just awesome. The cart and stylus it's got... I wouldn't play my best vinyl with, but it's a nice rig.

Everyone has their preferences. For record changers, my preference is a good BSR.

Out of all the BSRs I've had, the one and only problem I've ever had with them is the shitty ass cart they usually come with (and the fact that the lube turns to bubble gum and the whole entire thing siezes up rock solid, but Duals do that too if you leave them sitting for a long while).

Last edited:
I have had only one Garrard (back in the day) - every time I would play 'Stairway to Heaven' it would stick - so I went out and bought a Dual 1229. Me and my friend are drinking whisky at my bar with the Garrard on top of the bar, and the Dual cranking 'Stairway' - it gets to the spot where the Garrard always skipped - no skip with the 1229 - off the bar, on to the floor goes the Garrard - friend does a couple of stomps on the Garrard, it's toast - 1229 is home free.

Hey, good call. Don't bother to fix it - just destroy it. :screwy:

Tell me, do you smash your car up and buy a new one each year when it needs a service? :mad:

Sure don't think much like the music you play...

The Zero 92 belongs on this list as well. It's not a vintage high-end 'table, but it can certainly provide much listening pleasure if it's properly set up and has a good cartridge mounted.

I agree. Also add the model 82 to that list. It's similar to the Zero 100 and Zero 92 except it doesn't have the pivoting headshell.

I have had the Garrard 82 for over 35 years and I consider it my workhorse. I prefer my Technics table for LPs because I can detect rumble on the Garrard during quiet passages. However, the Garrard is now my dedicated 78 rpm player. In the capacity, it really shines!:music:

Hey, good call. Don't bother to fix it - just destroy it. :screwy:

Tell me, do you smash your car up and buy a new one each year when it needs a service? :mad:

Best thing that could happen to it!!
Wouldnt have most garrard's in the house except a 301/401-too many bad memories of the plastic shite in 70's "music centres"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom