Did I blow my speakers or is it my receiver?

JoZmo

I recently picked up a Sansui 2000x and yesterday got my first real chance to listen to it.

I started listening and everything was fine, I cranked up the volume a little (maybe a little past 9 o'clock and my left speaker started to cut out. First I heard some static.
It would come back if I started the song again or changed cd's (a changer) or if I waited.

But I'm wondering if it's the channel on the receiver or the speaker.

I have another receiver to try and that should tell me something but was wondering what the symtoms sound like to some of you experts who have blown speakers or had bad equipment.

Here's hoping it's the receiver because I have a 90 day warrenty on it.

My speakes are 87db efficient and the receiver is 39W so I don't think I pushed too much or did I?

Well if the speakers blown it wouldn't cut in and out. That is a problem with the receiver. I know I wouldn't attempt to drive 87dB efficient speakers with a 39 watt amplifier. Those watts would be eaten up in a hurry.:D Problem sounds like a bad input connection. Keep the source playing and fiddle with the input RCA's when the problem occurs. If the problem corrects itself while doing this then you know what the problem is. More than likely a bad connection at one of the inputs.

Mike

Why not just switch the left and right speaker? If the problem "travels" it's the speaker. If the problem stays where it is, it's the receiver. Not very hard.

Toasted Almond

JZ;

Switch speakers as suggested but sounds to me like classic case of loose connector, noisy volume control, intermittent switch, etc. Scrachy intermittent/cutouts is common on older vintage rigs. They need a little preventive maintenance every so often with contact cleaner is all.

Keep us posted, will get you through it.. ;)

Lefty

Back
Top Bottom