Did I burn my capacitor?

Hak Foo

I'm replacing the electrolytics in my JVC JR-S301. While trying to solder the main filter caps (United Chemi-Con KMH, 18000uF/63v, but still much smaller than the original 18000/56 Elnas), I touched the iron to the top surface of one of the caps. This burnt a hole on the bottom of the cap, but it looks like there's little underneath there. Is it likely it's just the wrapping and the cap is safe? I powered it up after the swap and it didn't explode immediately, but that's presumably a zero load situation. Since it's a $10-plus-postage cap, I'm not keen on just tossing it if it's just ugly but workable.IMG_20190115_212731779.jpg

I touched the iron to the top surface of one of the caps. This burnt a hole on the bottom of the cap,

Wow,!! That is one hot soldering iron, burning all the way through the cap with just a touch. Sure you're not using a high power laser?

What Pio said. No problems, just melted the covering. Make sure no metal was exposed that can touch something else.

max penalty is about up to 1000 cookies. But I'd say about 95% are really good pics for the form on my screens otherwise I'd be more critical. :D lol.. like the worst job in the world must be selling baseball cards 'certified'. LOL

OP is DIY and happy camper!

Back
Top Bottom