Did I get a good deal? I believe I did......

Raven50

So, since getting a decent deal on a mint Kenwood KR-960 a bit over a week ago, I have spent at least 2 or 3 hours every evening searching for a set of speakers that can handle it. Found a few that interested me, but was always too late and they were sold before I even had a chance.

Anyway, came across these 2 days ago and left a message. Just got a call 5 minutes ago from the lady who is selling them. The story behind them are like a million other stories.....she booted her unfaithful ex to the curb a while ago, and now she is cleaning house and wants those monsters out of there. lol

So, Cerwin Vega CLSC-215's. I don't know much about Cerwin Vega, aside from knowing they have some really great speakers, as well as some that are borderline crap. Opinions on the CLSC 215? From what I have been reading, they seem like some of the "better ones". I have an appointment to go see them tomorrow afternoon. I already got the price down to $500 CDN, which is about $375 US. Good deal, or no? I haven't seen any others listed for sale to compare the prices to, so not sure. Input?

https://marche.quebecaudio.com/occasions/index.php/annonces/cerwin-vega-clsc-215/

That's close to the only price currently in ebay completed sales.
No mention of their condition either, they may be in sad, okay, good, or great condition.
Still time for a bidding war to erupt or someone to tell her they will be there in 5 minutes with cash.

You may have an agreement, but you haven't completed the deal until they are in your possession.

Good friend of mine has a pair and IMO they great sounding speakers,they're probably one of the best sounding CV's you're likely to find.
The Absolute Sound has a glowing review of them >>> http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker/

Lots of folks would just dismiss these w/o even giving them a listen due to CV's rep as "party speakers" but that's HUGE mistake.
Just because they're HUGE speakers does'nt mean they lack the subtleties most audiophiles enjoy.
These are really the most refined CV's I've ever heard,and I've heard LOTS of CV speakers over the years.
Plenty of detail,and not at all obnoxious,as the review states they're pretty neutral sounding speakers.

FYI: You'll need help moving them for sure,these things are (heavy) beasts.
And you'll need a big truck -or- van,so be sure to check the measurements & weights so you know what to expect beforehand.
But despite that fact they "blend in" a lot better than one would think they would.
And you DEFINITELY wont need a subwoofer,,,LOL...

Anyhow,ask me yeah that's a really good deal on some very nice speakers,especially if they're the ones with the Cherry finish.
But as was mentioned actual condition definitely plays into that deal as well.

JM2¢

Bret P.

Still time for a bidding war to erupt or someone to tell her they will be there in 5 minutes with cash.

You may have an agreement, but you haven't completed the deal until they are in your possession.

Pessimist, much? lol

There has been a slight development since I spoke to the woman. My spouse saw her name and number on piece of paper on my desk and right away asked, "How do you know her"? It caught me off guard because she sounded "un-trusting". I told her I don't, aside from her being the one I am buying speakers from. My spouse is a teacher and said she works with someone with the same name, so I texted the woman asking, "Would you by chance be a high school teacher"? Low and behold, she is, and her and my spouse have been colleagues for years......so na, I ain't worried about losing them. That right there is what you call "luck", and I am happy to take it because I ain't been too lucky lately...well, not since I scored the KR-9600 a little while ago. lol

Good friend of mine has a pair and IMO they great sounding speakers,they're probably one of the best sounding CV's you're likely to find.
The Absolute Sound has a glowing review of them >>> http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker/

Lots of folks would just dismiss these w/o even giving them a listen due to CV's rep as "party speakers" but that's HUGE mistake.
Just because they're HUGE speakers does'nt mean they lack the subtleties most audiophiles enjoy.
These are really the most refined CV's I've ever heard,and I've heard LOTS of CV speakers over the years.
Plenty of detail,and not at all obnoxious,as the review states they're pretty neutral sounding speakers.

FYI: You'll need help moving them for sure,these things are (heavy) beasts.
And you'll need a big truck -or- van,so be sure to check the measurements & weights so you know what to expect beforehand.
But despite that fact they "blend in" a lot better than one would think they would.
And you DEFINITELY wont need a subwoofer,,,LOL...

Anyhow,ask me yeah that's a really good deal on some very nice speakers,especially if they're the ones with the Cherry finish.
But as was mentioned actual condition definitely plays into that deal as well.

JM2¢

Bret P.

That is what I wanted to hear. I will be honest, I am one of those who has dismissed Cerwin Vega as a choice because it associate it party music....club music......stripper club music....boom boom music. But deep down I know that doesn't apply to all the models, but never knew enough about CV to tell the difference. I read a few reviews that said similar, but you know how some of those reviews are.....often submitted by people on the payroll.

And yes, at 100+lbs each, I will be bringing a dolly and some blankets with me. They will slide right in back of the Santa Fe.

I am psyched. Never thought I would buy a pair of CV's, but now i am looking forward to getting my hands on them.

Pessimist, much? lol

There has been a slight development since I spoke to the woman. My spouse saw her name and number on piece of paper on my desk and right away asked, "How do you know her"? It caught me off guard because she sounded "un-trusting". I told her I don't, aside from her being the one I am buying speakers from. My spouse is a teacher and said she works with someone with the same name, so I texted the woman asking, "Would you by chance be a high school teacher"? Low and behold, she is, and her and my spouse have been colleagues for years......so na, I ain't worried about losing them. That right there is what you call "luck", and I am happy to take it because I ain't been too lucky lately...well, not since I scored the KR-9600 a little while ago. lol

I try to think everyone is decent and will do what they say, but it seems like that can't be counted on now days.
You didn't say where you found them (which is smart until you have them) but stories about CL dealings often take unpleasant turns.
My post was more about terminology. Of course my interpretation of "deal" may differ from others. Or just flat out be wrong.
Like the TV show "Let's make a deal" it isn't complete until it is over.
You have an agreement but you haven't made a good deal. Yet.
With your recent post I have higher hopes you will indeed get a good deal.

I try to think everyone is decent and will do what they say, but it seems like that can't be counted on now days.
You didn't say where you found them (which is smart until you have them) but stories about CL dealings often take unpleasant turns.
My post was more about terminology. Of course my interpretation of "deal" may differ from others. Or just flat out be wrong.
Like the TV show "Let's make a deal" it isn't complete until it is over.
You have an agreement but you haven't made a good deal. Yet.
With your recent post I have higher hopes you will indeed get a good deal.

Hey man, I get what you are saying. I have wasted a lot of time and travel on deals gone bad. Just a couple of years ago I called for a motorcycle i was interested in, and when I called the guy he asked if I could swing by at noon the next day, while he was on lunch break. I showed up and there were 4 other guys there wanting the same bike. He said that seeing we all wanted it, let the bidding start at the asking price. Myself and two other guys told him to go...well, you know. One guy said, "you are lucky I don't punch you right in the face". Yup, I totally get what you are saying. Some people just have no morals or ethics, and only care about the money. I would be ashamed of myself if I disrespected people like that, and have no use for those that do.

Congrats on your score. The KR-9600 is a true Monster Receiver but it is not without its vices. Be sure to have the DC offset checked before hooking up to expensive speakers. The Power Pack outputs are fine when working well but their are service issues with them.

Congrats on your score. The KR-9600 is a true Monster Receiver but it is not without its vices. Be sure to have the DC offset checked before hooking up to expensive speakers. The Power Pack outputs are fine when working well but their are service issues with them.
True enough,but lets not scare the cr@p outta the guy here before he even gets his speakers home.

That receiver has the pre-out/amp-in set-up so he would be able to run an external power amp if any issues were found with the amp section.
That's my plan for my KA-7300 if (or should I say when) the time comes...
Matter of fact I've thought about doing such as a pre-emptive / pre-cautionary measure due to the scarcity of those TA modules.
But for now I live dangerously...

Anyhow those CLS-215 can handle just about any healthy power amp one can throw at them.
My friend was originally using a Sunfire 300-2 (300wpc > 8Ω and from there it doubles down) and they sounded excellent.
Now he uses a pair of Bryston 7bst monoblocks (500wpc per > 8Ω) and the SQ is just this side of incredible.
(BTW his other speakers are infinity Kappa 9's so he definitely knows what great speakers sound like)

So as I said in the OP's other thread here,the more power fed to them,the better they'll sound.

True story:
One day he was jamming the tunes w/his CLS-215's and the cops showed up...
Well they had to call him and tell him they were downstair banging on the door for like 5-10 minutes,LOL.

But yeah w/o doubt it's bad idea throw excessive DC @ any speaker,even these CV CLS-215.
And checking DC offset is easy enough that checking it should be a no-brainer...

Better safe than sorry.

If nothing else try the receiver with some cheap/nothing speakers first.

Bret P.

Last edited:
True enough,but lets not scare the cr@p outta the guy here before he even gets his speakers home.
Yeah, but as I told him on his other thread we don't want him turning those CVs into 100 lb paperweights.

Once verified fully functional, he won't have any problems summoning the local authorities with those being driven by a 9600.

Last edited:
Pessimist, much? lol

Things are looking even more pessimistic now. This is a trap of the worst sort.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO ALONE to pick them up. If you go alone to the house of a woman who has been cheated on, you will soon be the next one booted out of his own house. Don't for a minute think that school teachers have any special honor when it comes to husbands of their colleagues. Best thing you can do is take your wife with you to pick them up since she has already suspicious of the colleague. Better yet, you pass on the speakers and give me the seller's contact info.

Things are looking even more pessimistic now. This is a trap of the worst sort.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO ALONE to pick them up. If you go alone to the house of a woman who has been cheated on, you will soon be the next one booted out of his own house. Don't for a minute think that school teachers have any special honor when it comes to husbands of their colleagues. Best thing you can do is take your wife with you to pick them up since she has already suspicious of the colleague. Better yet, you pass on the speakers and give me the seller's contact info.
Agreed. I would bring someone else. Sounds like it could get a bit weird.

Hope you get them. Please post pics of them if you pick them up.

True story:
One day he was jamming the tunes w/his CLS-215's and the cops showed up...
Well they had to call him and tell him they were downstair banging on the door for like 5-10 minutes,LOL.

But yeah w/o doubt it's bad idea throw excessive DC @ any speaker,even these CV CLS-215.
And checking DC offset is easy enough that checking it should be a no-brainer...

Better safe than sorry.

If nothing else try the receiver with some cheap/nothing speakers first.

Bret P.

Thank you for that! I was getting scared and almost thought about sticking it on ebay and getting rid of it ASAP! Not!....but close. lol

True story:
Came home from work one night (finished at midnight) and decided to play some Call of Duty. I was living in an apartment block at the time. The TV, PC...all hooked up to my stereo system. I always play with headphones, but I do have to switch of the speakers because they will play as well with the headphones, if I don't. The volume was high on the amp, but i just turn down the headphones with it's own volume adjustment. Long story short, someone tapped me on the shoulder and scared the bejeebus out of me. Turned around to see two cops standing in my living room right behind me. Took of the headphones and immediately knew why. Forgot to shut the speakers off. First thing out of my mouth was, "oh crap". I was living on the 3rd floor and they said they could hear it outside in the parking lot, in dead of winter with no open windows. They didn't get "a call", they got a lot of calls. Got off with a warning because they saw that I wasn't doing it intentional, but the neighbors weren't too friendly after that.

As for the speakers and going to get them.....well, no offense, but I am Canadian, and I guess we don't always assume the worse because we are all a "nice bunch of folks". lol
Couldn't find anyone free at the time I needed to get them, so I went alone, and would have just put a down payment until I could go back to get them with someone. The lady called her brother to come help me. We listen to CHOM FM through the speakers while she made me a coffee and served me a slice of coconut cream pie while waiting for her bro to get there, which was cool because it was a bit after 4 and I was getting hungry. lol But ya, perfectly smooth transaction. One of the best, because I am a pie guy. :)

Oh, and as for the amp, all verified and ready to go. I talked about all that with the seller. He told me straight up.....if he was worried about the amp, he would not have played it that long (over an hour while we talked about music and amps and speakers), through his prize possession Marantz HD770's. :)

Oh, and one more thing......a big thanks for all the advice and input. Some of it had me doubting what I was getting into, but that's ok because it keeps me grounded with reality knowing that I need to stay on top of things if i don't want to brick my amp and speakers. But ya....learned a lot and appreciate the help. Thanks a ton.

That receiver has the pre-out/amp-in set-up so he would be able to run an external power amp if any issues were found with the amp section.
That's my plan for my KA-7300 if (or should I say when) the time comes...
Matter of fact I've thought about doing such as a pre-emptive / pre-cautionary measure due to the scarcity of those TA modules.

Bret P.

My KA-7300 never sounded so good lol.

20181216_162711.jpg

Last edited:
My KA-7300 never sounded so good lol.

View attachment 1358681

I am actually a bit embarrassed to say this, but out of all the stereos I have owned in my life, I have never run a pre-amp configuration. Off the top of my head I could not even tell you how to hook it up. I am sure it is easy enough, but i will have to google it. lol

But I do know how to build a switch box so I can have two amps sharing the same speakers with zero risk to frying my amps, just so I don't have to put a lot of use on the KR-9600. That amp will be reserved for just me and my alone time, which is maybe an hour or so a day. When the ol' lady is home and i have to turn down the volume, I will just flip the switch and use the Onkyo. ;)

Glad it worked out for you!
Since you needed help you obviously brought them home.

Glad it worked out for you!
Since you needed help you obviously brought them home.

Yup, sitting in the middle of the kitchen as we speak. Now just need to make some room for them. I knew they were big when I went to pick them up, but it almost seems like they grew a bit more on the ride home.

Congrats. The KR-9600 is a very nice sounding amp and Kenwood put in great tuners. Didn't mean to concern you too much with the Power Pack outputs. There is a lot of knowledge in the AK collective on how to make this amp reliable for the long haul. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom