Did I just scroe? NRG Class A monoblocks

Unfortunately it appears as though the tweeters aren't original. The original focal inverted domes have been swapped for some decent seas tweeters, will need to compare specs and see if it was a well thought out replacement.
Well I can honestly say that these are the best speakers I have ever heard.
So will you try to find some original tweeters for them, or let them be?

I imagine that Wilson would be the best place to inquire about replacement tweeters. AFAIK they are modified by Wilson and not off the shelf items.

So will you try to find some original tweeters for them, or let them be?

To be honest they sound fine so it won't be a priority right now. From what i've read the original tweeters were Focal inverted domes, and i actually have a pair from another pair of speakers, but i'm not too keen on breaking them apart. My only priority with the speakers is repairing one broken binding post and maybe making some grills up.

I imagine that Wilson would be the best place to inquire about replacement tweeters. AFAIK they are modified by Wilson and not off the shelf items.

I'm not sure if they are actually modified, the midrange is a standard seas unit which has had the model no covered with black marker...maybe covering up the model number improves the sound. :wtf:

Unbalanced writing can cause harmonic distortive oscillations in the magnetic core of the speaker that will go unnoticed by your audio sensors. These oscillations are unobtrusive until you go to warp.
Than the core explodes.

Update, Not looking good for the NRG's at all. Power supplies are both showing serious problems.

Update, Not looking good for the NRG's at all. Power supplies are both showing serious problems.
As a fellow in a similar predicament (rare amps in repair for a while), I must extend some condolences here. What a potential letdown for you. However, I am going to keep the sunny side up and hope that it’s not the big stuff, and that the amps can still be fixed.

As a fellow in a similar predicament (rare amps in repair for a while), I must extend some condolences here. What a potential letdown for you. However, I am going to keep the sunny side up and hope that it’s not the big stuff, and that the amps can still be fixed.

How are your Stax amps getting on? I'm holding out hope that the power transformers aren't shorted, if they are then I'll look in to having them rewound, not giving up.

How are your Stax amps getting on? I'm holding out hope that the power transformers aren't shorted, if they are then I'll look in to having them rewound, not giving up.
They are getting close, my guy only has to make a list and speak to someone here on the forum who has agreed to help. That big step will hopefully end up leading us down to the end of the repair.

That's good news. I wonder if there are alternative transformers that would be suitable? Fingers crossed for you Dazaa. Best from over the pond..
I doubt it, they were all custom made by Toroid Corp for NRG, I doubt an exact replacement exists anywhere.

I doubt it, they were all custom made by Toroid Corp for NRG, I doubt an exact replacement exists anywhere.
Same voltage and higher current equivalents may well exist, and the fact that the originals failed suggests tougher replacements -- or at least better (some?) protection devices/circuits -- are perhaps warranted. High current/voltage linear power supplies tend to be expensive because they need physically large transformers and capacitors, but are technically straightforward to construct.

Honestly,what`s up with the nude avatar,Judas?

Audiokarma isn`t a place where men go to see other men get naked,
and isn`t there special websites for those so inclined,
that you can go to for that kind of stuff man?

Honestly,what`s up with the nude avatar,Judas?

Audiokarma isn`t a place where men go to see other men get naked,
and isn`t there special websites for those so inclined,
that you can go to for that kind of stuff man?
An epic Judas Priest tattoo isn't appropriate?

If you're going to complain about that, shouldn't you complain about the naked pussy in my avatar?

:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom