Did I just scroe? NRG Class A monoblocks

Possibly there's not enough Vg for the depletion mode devices to squeeze out the Vd. Eh, I'm talking out of my butt. Only MOSFET amps I worked on were Hafler 500 (economical dead end) and Monster 2250 (gave up, no schematic and a good board was on eBay). 3 years' wait and probably over 1000 dollars in total might just be steep for the difference in sound 'twixt these amps and a nice used Adcom 565 or such, but it's the investment that matters. Dazaa, what's your current turntable/cd player/DAC? I'd be interested to see if you could easily improve your setup.

All your other pieces of gear would take thousands of dollars for new upgrades or one hell of a search for vintage improvements.

Well, everyone can benefit from a good subwoofer!

Possibly there's not enough Vg for the depletion mode devices to squeeze out the Vd. Eh, I'm talking out of my butt. Only MOSFET amps I worked on were Hafler 500 (economical dead end) and Monster 2250 (gave up, no schematic and a good board was on eBay). 3 years' wait and probably over 1000 dollars in total might just be steep for the difference in sound 'twixt these amps and a nice used Adcom 565 or such, but it's the investment that matters. Dazaa, what's your current turntable/cd player/DAC? I'd be interested to see if you could easily improve your setup.

All your other pieces of gear would take thousands of dollars for new upgrades or one hell of a search for vintage improvements.

Well, everyone can benefit from a good subwoofer!

At less than 2000 dollars a pair new there really is no comparison between these and Adcom 565's, these, with inflation cost 26k in todays money.

My planned system is
JVC JP V1000 pre amp
Sony X7ESD CD Player
Technics SP10 TT (still looking for the right one, they aren't easy to find in the UK)
Nakamichi 680ZX tape deck (again, looking)
Tandberg TD20A Reel to reel (needs a service)
Wilson Audio WITT Speakers (need to find a pair of Focal T120 tweeters)

For a sub i've got a Velodyne DD12 that is giving my tech serious headache. I have no interest in a seperate DAC, I don't really listen to CD's and at 18KG and a four figure price when new I don't think much can better the X7ESD.

Although currently i'm using a Technics SL1400Mk2 with a Yamaha C50/PC2602 and the Wilson speakers, probably a system for life for most people, not good enough for me.

I have the Technics SL1400mk2. Great table.

I just looked up that Sony X7ESD cdp. Dazaa, WHERE DO YOU KEEP FINDING THIS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD GEAR?? lmao!

I have the Technics SL1400mk2. Great table.

I just looked up that Sony X7ESD cdp. Dazaa, WHERE DO YOU KEEP FINDING THIS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD GEAR?? lmao!

Dude if I posted the stuff I've been finding daily I'd win some kind of award, i've never mentioned my vinyl scores but we are talking a collection of around 8-10k records worth a minimum of 50k that i've built up since I was 16 (i'm 23 now) Every single thing was thrown away by someone, in some cases I literally saved it before it became landfill and in others i've bought it off the recyclers who assumed it had some value, but generally i've paid pennies for everything. The NRG's cost me 350 back in 2014 and the Wilsons were 100, that X7 was 20 I think and I remember trying to get it for a tenner just for the sake of knocking the price down. Thats why I find it funny when people complain about this stuff not being out there, it is and they aren't looking in the right places!

Don't get me started on some of the studio and musical equipment i've found, bespoke ex bbc broadcast mixers anyone?

While I'm certainly ecstatic that you've saved so much of this super high quality gear, please consider that your hubris might be misunderstood by some here.

Why?

Because it is true that not everyone has access to this level of gear. Here in Buttholeville, Ky, it's a barren wasteland, tho Nashville does have some good gear, albeit at fair to absurd prices.

On another note, seeing that green light on the NRG illuminate must have made you positively giddy. Hell, it made ME giddy.

Keep doing what you're doing, young man. Rock on!

While I'm certainly ecstatic that you've saved so much of this super high quality gear, please consider that your hubris might be misunderstood by some here.

Why?

Because it is true that not everyone has access to this level of gear. Here in Buttholeville, Ky, it's a barren wasteland, tho Nashville does have some good gear, albeit at fair to absurd prices.

On another note, seeing that green light on the NRG illuminate must have made you positively giddy. Hell, it made ME giddy.

I agree, it’s not the same everywhere. In Nashville, it’s a competitive market for the gear that is out there. I’ve been lucky to find almost all of my gear on Craigslist around Nashville, but I’ve worked for it.

Why?

didn’t you score those XRT20s locally?

Good for you Dazaa! Buddy of mine was asked by an older gentleman to help lift some heavy items out of his station wagon to dispose of at the dump - McIntosh MX113 and MC2105 both in walnut cabinets and both near mint. He saved them from a 20 foot toss into the garbage below ... he still has both and they work perfectly!

didn’t you score those XRT20s locally?

Well....70 miles I might consider "local", damacman. Again, listening to them this morning, they put the biggest shit eating grin on my face. Thanks for your help last year advising, prodding and encouraging.

Still got that 500??

Good for you Dazaa! Buddy of mine was asked by an older gentleman to help lift some heavy items out of his station wagon to dispose of at the dump - McIntosh MX113 and MC2105 both in walnut cabinets and both near mint. He saved them from a 20 foot toss into the garbage below ... he still has both and they work perfectly!

Oh dear lord! :eek::rockon:.....also.....:wtf: I mean, who DOES that?? Tossing McIntosh??

Well....70 miles I might consider "local", damacman. Again, listening to them this morning, they put the biggest shit eating grin on my face. Thanks for your help last year advising, prodding and encouraging.

Still got that 500??
Sold it locally. The guy freakin' loves it!

Why?

Surely you guys have a recycling place somewhere? Forgive my sweeping statement about gear being everywhere, i've only ever lived in London and made an assumption that it would be the same everywhere, especially over in the USA where so much more of this stuff was sold. Yep very excited about the NRG's but worried about that DC on the outputs, very worried. If I post up the schematic of the low level board I wonder if any other techs here on AK could assist in identifying which potentiometer is to adjust the bias?

Post up the schematics or maybe even make another repair thread in Solid State to get more views from the repair guys.

As far as finding gear it really is location dependent. Here in Los Angeles there is probably an equal level of gear going through recyclers and other e-waste channels. I personally couldn't deal with the volume that you do so I'm hoping someone is saving it from the landfill.

Surely you guys have a recycling place somewhere? Forgive my sweeping statement about gear being everywhere, i've only ever lived in London and made an assumption that it would be the same everywhere, especially over in the USA where so much more of this stuff was sold.
I don't think it's even an across-the-UK thing. It certainly seems to be in London, and was in Bristol when I lived there 15 years ago -- though at the time I had no interest in recycled audio gear -- but outside of that, my few inquiries have netted little better than, "it all goes in this bin and from there it goes somewhere else; no, you can't look" or "the boss has an arrangement with a guy; he gets all of it" or "nah, we don't do that stuff" or "what you see on the shelf, mate."

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

I think Dazaa has been around for a while and knows how to find this stuff. It is more about building relationships, than anything else. And in some cases, you have to buy it all, or lose a very good contact, as he goes on to somebody else willing to take it all. I’ve bought from people with access to recycling, and it can be well worth your while. But you have to pursue it. And then work to make it sellable. Nothing is free.

I think Dazaa has been around for a while and knows how to find this stuff. It is more about building relationships, than anything else. And in some cases, you have to buy it all, or lose a very good contact, as he goes on to somebody else willing to take it all. I’ve bought from people with access to recycling, and it can be well worth your while. But you have to pursue it. And then work to make it sellable. Nothing is free.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I got lucky in the sense that starting as a teenager I was probably quite naive and able to overlook a lot of issues (mainly red tape) that would otherwise have stopped anyone from getting the stuff I do.

I'm no expert on SS (Or tubes for that matter but I have a clue).
60vdc seems like more than a bias issue .
I sincerely hope I'm wrong

Back
Top Bottom