Did I just scroe? NRG Class A monoblocks

Can anyone suggest a tech in london who could check these out? I've decided theyre being kept, I don't know how i'll store them, but i'll find a way. Any idea what kind of speakers these would have been paired with back in the day? It's starting to sink in as to how big a find these are...

The speakers normally paired with these amps were most likely:
  • inefficient
  • EXPENSIVE
  • difficult to drive impedance
  • good sounding

They will drive just about anything made if they are functioning properly especially able to deliver over 1.6KW at 2 ohms and stable into 1 ohm!

It's an amazing score, but I don't think they are right for a 19 year old. And if you have your priorities straight then they shouldn't be right for you for at least another 10 years. I'd flip them.

Any idea what kind of speakers these would have been paired with back in the day?
I'm willing to bet they were used in a club to drive a whole bunch of speakers or some kind of industrial setting since big amps can be used for non-audio applications.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet they were used in a club to drive a whole bunch of speakers or some kind of industrial setting since big amps can be used for non-audio applications.

Perhaps not. Very high electricity costs (Class A) and rather esoteric for that purpose. Middle of the line Crown amp(s) would drive the club seen all night long, every night. This amp was probably made for the dedicated audiophile.

stash these and wait until the time and cash flow is right-if music matters to you -you may never find the likes of these again-the''wish I had kept those'' will haunt you FOREVER if you sell them.

P This amp was probably made for the dedicated audiophile.

True, but you never know where it will end up and who it will be used by. And the fact that these were sold for scrap should be evidence enough that these were put to use in a manner most audiophiles would consider sacrilege.

Hard to say, could have been part of an estate sale, relatives that had to clean up after a death, etc. No real way to know how they ended up at a salvage place unless the store person knows the detail.

Many questions will be answered after a peek under the hood.

cubdog

With pictures!!! :drool:

Those amps are worth it all, I don't think it's possible to find better high power class A amps, at least it seems like it.

Even if Dazaa decides not to keep them, they will easily turn a profit even if they need extensive and costly servicing.

Maybe they can accept 220v after moving a jumper or something like that?

Holy $diety, that is a monster of a find! Congrats! I'll be lurking to see how this turns out for curiosities sake. :lurk:

I'd be more jealous if I actually had a need for 400 w/ch Class A amps. Setting them up and running them at most at 10 w/ch most of the time would be a bit of a waste and a huge drain on the electric bill! That and my neighbours complaining about their lights dimming....

You should buy an extra plane ticket and stack them on the seat next to you

TSBA won't even let me bring bottled water on the plane (or shampoo for that matter). Seems Alien metal boxes that weigh 130 lbs a piece might glean some scrutiny.

Back
Top Bottom