Did I just scroe? NRG Class A monoblocks

Can anyone suggest a tech in london who could check these out? I've decided theyre being kept, I don't know how i'll store them, but i'll find a way. Any idea what kind of speakers these would have been paired with back in the day? It's starting to sink in as to how big a find these are...
If you are serious about keeping these, this is who I would contact were I in your shoes.

Alex at ANT Audio. His specialty is audio tape machines. But he's a true perfectionist, and I would trust him to work on any piece of analog audio electronics.

http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/

If you are serious about keeping these, this is who I would contact were I in your shoes.

Alex at ANT Audio. His specialty is audio tape machines. But he's a true perfectionist, and I would trust him to work on any piece of analog audio electronics.

http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/

Thanks for the suggestion, have contacted him.

A lot of non audio people told me i'd be crazy not to sell them. So I could probably pocket a k or two for very little work? So what? Would I ever be able to find amplifiers like this again? I think not...

The monetary value is actually pretty irrelevant to me,from an engineering view point these are amazing. Out of curiosity, have any other high end amp builders ever made anything with similar specs to these? I saw some beautiful krell mono blocks that apparently cost 50k new...

I've been thinking about just making space and using them, slowly upgrading all my other components. The biggest worry for me would be if they require a dedicated power line? I also wouldn't want my parents blaming me for a sudden rise in electricity bills....

Hopefully I should have them collected and closer to home this week :smoke:

These have to be busted, there's a 95% chance. I wonder if there are unobtainable parts? Maybe the MOSFET outputs? Otherwise why would you toss such a thing. I mean there are other reasons, but my guess is they need work, they were either extremely expensive or impossible to fix, and that's why they ended up there.

IMHO no club owner would spend that kind of jack for a PA system, they'd buy much less expensive PA amps.

Anyway definitely have someone look at them who knows high end audio gear and go from there. Even broken they're worth money, but you'll never see another pair.

Also: Wow, holy schnikies, etc.

I don't think it uses the Hitachi TO-3 MOSFETs, so it shouldn't be much of a problem if the output devices are blown.

Edit: I may be wrong, is this the same amp?

A-201-S_____-F-002-921-NRG.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it uses the Hitachi TO-3 MOSFETs, so it shouldn't be much of a problem if the output devices are blown.

Looks like it to me. 48 transistors per amp. Any repair is going to be really expensive even if they are available.

Yep that certainly looks like the one...I shudder at the cost of repairing these if they're dead.....

Yep that certainly looks like the one...I shudder at the cost of repairing these if they're dead.....

Thanks for the suggestion, have contacted him.

A lot of non audio people told me i'd be crazy not to sell them. So I could probably pocket a k or two for very little work? So what? Would I ever be able to find amplifiers like this again? I think not...

The monetary value is actually pretty irrelevant to me,from an engineering view point these are amazing. Out of curiosity, have any other high end amp builders ever made anything with similar specs to these? I saw some beautiful krell mono blocks that apparently cost 50k new...

I've been thinking about just making space and using them, slowly upgrading all my other components. The biggest worry for me would be if they require a dedicated power line? I also wouldn't want my parents blaming me for a sudden rise in electricity bills....

Hopefully I should have them collected and closer to home this week :smoke:

stash these and wait until the time and cash flow is right-if music matters to you -you may never find the likes of these again-the''wish I had kept those'' will haunt you FOREVER if you sell them.

Do yourself a favor and read the above line over and over and over and over...

When I was young, I found an amp I loved, a big Nikko integrated. After some time, I was able to buy a turntable! How I loved it. Of course, I had NO SPEAKERS!!! In retrospect, I am glad that I delayed immediate gratification as I finally wound up (at that time) with AR LST II speakers). The system sounded great. But for a while, I would turn the table on and watch it spin for a few revolutions...then at some point, I got a set of AKG phones and could listen to at least a few records.

And the trouble is it's probably something you wouldn't want to put off too long. There is no telling how long the parts will still be available (assuming they are now).

I've never bought any MOSFETs, just out of curiosity, what are we talking? $20 per transistor? More?

We are talking unobtanium (so many matched ones are needed), maybe they can be found if you look in the right places in New Zealand, maybe...

Edit: the good news is that Hitachi MOSFETs are very durable!

Last edited:
Take them to Alex. He's a great guy (or at least from all of our online interactions over the years, that is my distinct impression), and the worst thing that will happen is that he gives you an estimate which is more than you are willing and/or able to spend. In that case, then flip them. Or see what he recommends.

You could not ask for a better tech.

Until the lad gets them assessed it is anyone's guess. I would have thought that the merchant who sold them would have been obliged to have disclosed that they were not working prior to the sale being finalised.

Until the lad gets them assessed it is anyone's guess. I would have thought that the merchant who sold them would have been obliged to have disclosed that they were not working prior to the sale being finalised.

He said he found them at an electronic scrap dealer. I'd say that operating condition is anyone's guess.

He said he found them at an electronic scrap dealer. I'd say that operating condition is anyone's guess.

OK that was in the first post. I overlooked the scrap qualifier. Maybe it is a simple fix maybe not. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the fellow.

To be honest they don't sell anything to outsiders, most stuff either gets shredded or filling a shipping container sent off to Africa....whether it works or not is irreverent to these guys, they get paid either way.

Even if they are worthless boat anchors I don't mind, they look beautiful, working or not.

Yep, as I said, I've had so much good working gear from this place....more working than broken to be honest.

A few months ago I found a Bowers and Wilkins home cinema set up, every speaker looked absolutely pristine, around 500 british pounds worth of speakers, fully working. Maybe some rich person upgraded and didn't care for their old (2003era) speakers?

Back
Top Bottom