Did KEF Just Change The Game With LS50 Wireless?

Gary D Olson

Skilled Tightwad
To an audiophile, our audio system just might be the most personal thing we'll ever own. We're fastidiously meticulous about choosing each link in the audio chain in an endless pursuit to elevate our collection of components & devices to the ultimate synergistic pile of electronics this side of the Live Stage. Is this about to change?

The performance of KEF's passive LS50 has made it quite possibly the most widely audiophile-accepted loudspeaker in history; an extraordinary accomplishment. But what if KEF combined that performance with affordability and an elegantly designed exterior with an off-the-charts WAF? Wait a minute, they did; which took the LS50 to a level not previously seen. KEF persisted.

They added an audiophile-grade preamplifier & DAC, a power amp with enough horses to power a set of speakers famous for requiring costly amplification, and wireless capabilities - all for an additional $700 - and they call it the "LS50 Wireless". $700! That's half of what most people spend on powering the standard LS50, and with no guarantee they'll sound good together! Still don't see this as a game changer? Read on.

Factoid #1: Many audiophiles believe they must spend an unholy amount of income on cabling. The LS50 Wireless is a complete audio system contained within two speaker cabinets, which renders cables largely if not completely irrelevant.

Factoid #2: Wife Approval Factor (WAF) is a serious challenge to most if not all audiophiles. The LS50 Wireless is not only small and elegant to behold; it also banishes unsightly component heaps, spaghetti wire-balls, and gigantic speaker cabinets from the home. Whether you know it or not, or even care; that stuff either diminish marriages or forces the spouse to suffer in silence. LS50 Wireless to the rescue!

Factoid #3: To assure their wares are elegant enough for the living room, manufacturers of preamplifiers & power amplifiers spend a fortune on artistic exterior design which often include expensive thick brushed aluminum face plates, fancy knobs, switches, meters, & lights, etc.. Oddly, the manufacturers refuse to absorb the expense and simply add it to the price tag.
KEF spent exactly zero on the appearance of the internal pre/power amplification, and the savings is clearly included in their price tag.

Final Factoid: One of the most difficult challenges for manufacturers of power amplifiers & preamplifiers is designing them to sound good with a vast number of other devices made by a thousand other manufacturers.
Here's the second and most important reason powered loudspeakers will eventually rule the loudspeaker market: manufacturers of powered speakers can custom design pre & poweramp electronics around a single pair of speakers! KEF took full advantage of this and tailor-made the pre & power amplification to elevate the LS50 speakers to their full potential. Powered speakers are the future IMHO.

Like many around these parts, I don't need an audio system. I'm old school and don't care much about wireless. Heck, I don't even see the component & spaghetti pile anymore. But what about younger folks - free of existing hardware & old school thinking? What will they do? I think KEF definitely has an opinion on that.

Last edited:
It does seem like the wireless signaled, internally amplified (or bi-amped) approach is a valid one. You're still going to need to run AC cables to the speakers, so it's not truly wireless. But there is no reason you couldn't retrofit this sort of thing to any speaker. Which is good, because frankly I don't care for the LS50.

Last edited:
This is going to branch off into new audiophile products. :)

How much will someone pay for a device the "cleans up the air for a better wireless audio signal". It will look kind of like one of those dehumidifiers people put in their basements. Lol.
You heard it here first folks!

Not to be rude but it really does sound like you're shilling for Kef. Active monitors are nothing new and there's been other models with wireless streaming built in and while the LS-50s are certainly popular with the online audiophile community I would like to see a source before you call them the best selling ever.

I do agree that there will be a larger shift towards actively powered speakers in the coming years and it's likely that built in dsp will become common in summit-fi and totl models. However passive will still stick around and many people like myself will continue to swear by separates.

Not to be rude but it really does sound like you're shilling for Kef. Active monitors are nothing new and there's been other models with wireless streaming built in and while the LS-50s are certainly popular with the online audiophile community I would like to see a source before you call them the best selling ever.

I do agree that there will be a larger shift towards actively powered speakers in the coming years and it's likely that built in dsp will become common in summit-fi and totl models. However passive will still stick around and many people like myself will continue to swear by separates.

I didn't say the were the best selling speaker ever - I have no idea where they stand there. What I find extraordinary about the LS50 is that I've not seen an affordable speaker with this much praise from the audiophile community in all my 46 years in this hobby.

True. Active monitors have been around for a very long time, however, amplification and other relevant technologies are changing. This new breed of actives gives regular consumers the opportunity to own an audio system with far better sound than previous affordable systems.

No Younger folks buy 2k speakers anymore, it's a closed game for bald middle aged man...

I've read enough sales brochures to know if it sounds like a pitch, it is. If you have convinced yourself, congratulations. Most of us have settled into our personal preferences. It will take a lot more than fluff to sway opinion around here.

No Younger folks buy 2k speakers anymore, it's a closed game for bald middle aged man...
My kappa 9 system begs to differ. Although I'll admit most of the young crowd won't spend anywhere near as much as me and doesn't care about good audio.

There's definitely a niche of young people that are into serious Hi-Fi. You gotta keep in mind a lot of the older crowd have their houses payed off and decent jobs while most of the younger crowd are students or have high rent payments, there's a large disparity in disposable income.

I like it. If they use a wide enough (I haven't looked) bandwidth to get a good SQ, then great. I also have tired of finding the magic combo of equipment, the whole synergy thing.

If this product can get it all right, as the ad above claims (LOL< facking with ya), at a decent price point, I like it. And would buy. Maybe. If I needed a product like that.

Curious someone who owns neither the passive or active ls50 would make such a post about them.

Anyway, I like my passive ls50s so i guess id like the active ones as well. What would be really cool are some affordable actives with built in room correction and crossover eq to a sub of your choice. Like a built in audyssey or Dirac.

The wifi part is a gimmick imho and could be omitted from the product. It's not that hard to just add a cheap dedicated streamer like cca or a raspberry pi.

Just because something isn't useful to you, doesn't mean it's a "gimmick". The whole point of all-in-one systems is that you don't need another special piece of hardware that you have to figure out.

This new generation of speakers is interesting because class D amps can make them smaller and lighter which makes them better able to fit in with your decor. That's not an audiophile requirement, but audiophiles aren't buying these as main systems. They're also making use of newer streaming and connectivity to minimize unsightly and annoying cabling. Don't discount the importance of that.

The Eclipse TD-M1 is a similar product at a lower price also worth consideration.

I'm hardly a new member so you can see what I'm all about through my other posts. Believe me. Don't believe me. It's up to you, but I'm not selling product or looking for attention, and don't appreciate the insults.

I do think it is step in the right direction, and it is "affordable" for a high-end system, but I do not think it will set the world on fire. It is too bad Klipsch's powered speakers were not better. They look nice and are in a price range that could make a difference. LS50s are just too expensive to make any serious waves in the audio world at large.

Those little speakers have a great big thread about them . A lot of people here like them . I would like to hear a pair . Anything that can eliminate something in the sonic food chain would be good .

I do think it is step in the right direction, and it is "affordable" for a high-end system, but I do not think it will set the world on fire. It is too bad Klipsch's powered speakers were not better. They look nice and are in a price range that could make a difference. LS50s are just too expensive to make any serious waves in the audio world at large.

I'm thinking the Elac unifi actives might be the big splash for affordable audiophile actives. They are suppose to run under a grand and I would not be surprised if they came with dsp for adding a sub judging by Elac's other recent offerings.

I'm thinking the Elac unifi actives might be the big splash for affordable audiophile actives. They are suppose to run under a grand and I would not be surprised if they came with dsp for adding a sub judging by Elac's other recent offerings.

Greatly anticipating those.

Back
Top Bottom