Did Mitsubishi make any good speakers?

I just resurrected a pair (DS-36BR). I had forgotten how good they sounded. Bought them about 40 yrs. ago.

seconding what everyone recommends with the audio database to examine their "good" models. I have a pair of the ds-501's and the build quality / construction, and most importantly sound is very, very nice. Worth pursuing diatone stuff for sure, mitsubishi rack stuff probably not so much.

A HiFi shop I worked at in 1980 sold Mitsubishi components, not their speakers. But after a trade show, the Mitsubishi importer/distributor temporarily left a pair of speakers at the store. They had to be out of the show's venue before being trucked somewhere like another dealer show which was not happening for a few days.

Can't say anything about them other than they were huge. Fantastic cabinets like high gloss rosewood and a gigantic aluminium (honeycomb?) woofer. They may have been a prototype and my memory says a projected retail of 15,000/16,000 nineteen eighty's dollars.

Could have been a "hands off" order from the deaer rep so no monkeying around with them. I was not at the show so never heard them.

Kind of hard to find much about the SS 150, but what I can find doesn't impress much. They look more or less like rack system speakers, probably fine if cheap, but not anything special. But this is just a guess based on what I could find.

Kind of hard to find much about the SS 150, but what I can find doesn't impress much. They look more or less like rack system speakers, probably fine if cheap, but not anything special. But this is just a guess based on what I could find.

The pair I found was in pretty good shape for some 70's 80's speakers. He wants something like 100$ for them.

In the U.S., this would be an easy call, but I have no idea what sort of speakers are available in Colombo - and I have to say I'm delighted that there are people in Sri Lanka who love audio (and the equipment), and who are part of Audio Karma.
Would it be possible to listen to the speakers? 100 bucks for a pair of speakers you really like is not a bad deal, but the same amount for a pair you don't like is a terrible deal, even if, in theory, it is a good buy.
I also don't know what $100 means in Sri Lanka, or to you.
I'd be hesitant, but open to the possibility of them being good sounding.

In the U.S., this would be an easy call, but I have no idea what sort of speakers are available in Colombo - and I have to say I'm delighted that there are people in Sri Lanka who love audio (and the equipment), and who are part of Audio Karma.
Would it be possible to listen to the speakers? 100 bucks for a pair of speakers you really like is not a bad deal, but the same amount for a pair you don't like is a terrible deal, even if, in theory, it is a good buy.
I also don't know what $100 means in Sri Lanka, or to you.
I'd be hesitant, but open to the possibility of them being good sounding.

Thank you for your reply. I must say honestly that finding audio gear in Sri Lanka is very hard, even if we find something, it is normally used. Even the used ones sometimes claim very high prices. I am happy to be a part of Audiokarma and the wonderful people of AK have helped me to archive what I am right now. Thank you again.

I am so thankful for your understanding of the rest of the world. 100$ may not seem much for the people of U.S.A but for we who live in Sri Lanka it will become a great deal when turned in to local currency. At the moment 100$ in to LKR is around 18,300RS. That's something that could feed a person for four days on a five-star buffet or One month of food and minimal living expenditure for a month.

Yes, I did give them a listen and they sounded pretty bassy, laid back, and warm. Just like those Marantz LS850 towers which own. I would say the bass is more relaxing on the Mitsubishi LS and highs are better. Their condition was very good and will add a nice decor to a home with wooden furniture. If I ever get my hands on them, I will make sure to post some photos of it...!

There are plenty of people for whom $100 isn't a lot of money, but there are also plenty of people for whom it is, even in the U.S. But used equipment in much of the U.S. is plentiful, so, while it isn't much for a pair of well regarded and highly sought after speakers, it would be very high for not well known and not technically interesting ones. But the market in Sri Lanka apparently is much tighter, so if you like the speakers, it might be a good purchase.

bikingbudda I have warm memories of Sri Lanka. Such a beautiful island with some of the best and hottest food I've ever eaten.

There are plenty of people for whom $100 isn't a lot of money, but there are also plenty of people for whom it is, even in the U.S. But used equipment in much of the U.S. is plentiful, so, while it isn't much for a pair of well regarded and highly sought after speakers, it would be very high for not well known and not technically interesting ones. But the market in Sri Lanka apparently is much tighter, so if you like the speakers, it might be a good purchase.

I understand... Im planning to give them a listen before buying.

I have a pair of SS-2600 Mitsubishi speakers. 10" 3 way floor mounted towers. Bought them at RogerSound Labs, back when they had stores in SoCal in the 80s and early 90s and advertised in the LA Times Calendar section every Sunday. The speakers rock. In the ad they listed the features of an enclosure around the back of the midrange speaker to keep it from getting distorted from the bass driver, and how they had somehow managed to mount the woofer magnets in a way that would prevent interference if you mounted them close to a video monitor or TV. They were my main speakers for years (decades?) until a guy down the street put a pair of 70s large Advents out on the street because the foam around the woofers had rotted. I brought them home, and took the woofers down to Orange County Speaker (when they existed) and had them redone. Now they are the best speakers I have ever owned, and the 2600s are up in the attic, in their original boxes. They are good speakers, that will produce good music at volume. The towers have a bottom platform, slightly larger than the size of the tower, and they provided casters so they could be rolled around. So yes, they did make some decent speakers. Not quite as good as large Advents, but how many speakers are? Hard to compete with those Henry Kloss designed "fried egg" tweeters.

I just saw an image of those SS-150 speakers. Nothing special at all, a basic three way with cone drivers. Take a listen and they may sound decent but there are better speakers out there. Of course, I have no idea of exactly what is available in Sri Lanka...

Back
Top Bottom