Did Technics make any anti-resonance counterweights?

Yes they did - but they are integral components of their EPA250 and EPA500 seperate tonearms.

I don't believe anti-resonance CW's were ever fitted to their integrated turntables.

Yes they did - but they are integral components of their EPA250 and EPA500 seperate tonearms.

I don't believe anti-resonance CW's were ever fitted to their integrated turntables.

Thanks for that. Would those arms be interchangeable on most Technics tables?

Not that I know of...

Best solution I am aware of is KABUSA fluid damper for the Mk2 arms.... I also prefer the fluid damper solution to the anti-resonance counterweight alternative, as the CW alternative replaces a single large resonance with two smaller ones - which is less objectionable - but the fluid damper is more effective.....

c'weight

The resonance caused by the cart. can transmit itself up the tonearm and make the tonearm resonate and that is bad.

The solid non isolated counterweight being a solid integral part of the tonearm will also resonate and that is bad.

Isolate the c'weight and there will/may be a difference in total arm resonance.
Isolation usually requires the c'weight to have a soft lining at the adjustment.
Maybe included it the c'weight like my Empire 598III I used to have or may be an non OEM upgrade.

Paul

Not that I know of...

Best solution I am aware of is KABUSA fluid damper for the Mk2 arms.... I also prefer the fluid damper solution to the anti-resonance counterweight alternative, as the CW alternative replaces a single large resonance with two smaller ones - which is less objectionable - but the fluid damper is more effective.....

Would that work on the SLQD series tables?

SLQD - I don't think so - but best to contact Kevin at KAB and ask...

The CW damping method is the same as is used to control cantilever resonance in the Shure V15IV...

(described in some detail in the shure technical seminar paper http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4072)

The energy of the main resonance causes the CW to move and to generate its own resonance - which is carefully calculated to be a resonance that cancels out the main resonance - very nice! - but it leaves the CW resonating - and measurements of this approach show two smaller resonant peaks where previously there was one.

In the Shure cantilever version of the same, the CW is seperated from the cantilever by specially designed damping materials (elastomers) so the difference in motion between CW and cantilever results not only in cancellation but also in conversion to heat and therefore absorbing energy out of the system.

This was also used by a number of other brands in their CW's eg: Dual.

It is worth reading Pierre Lurne's comments on his tonearm designs ... he is deadset against any form of isolation/seperation of the arm from the CW, and in fact designs the CW in his arms to bolt to the arm in a manner that makes it a single piece.

He points out that any form of seperation / isolation here results in multiple vibrations rather than a single one, and that the more vibrations you have floating around in your system, the harder it is to design a solution that eliminates them.... (it is impossible to totally isolate the CW while still having it execute its function as a counter-weight.... and therefore the damped connection still involves transfer of energy in both directions....)

So even the standard CW mountings - which usually use some form of plastic as the inner surface up against the metal of the armtube, are a negative as they do in fact provide a degree of isolation and therefore an environment that generates additional seperate resonances (albeit at a very low level).

Anyway the short version of all this, is that semi-isolated anti-resonant CW's do work, and work well, but they are also a compromise solution, and perfectionist high end arms don't appear to use this method.

bye for now

David

SLQD - I don't think so - but best to contact Kevin at KAB and ask...

The CW damping method is the same as is used to control cantilever resonance in the Shure V15IV...

(described in some detail in the shure technical seminar paper http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4072)

The energy of the main resonance causes the CW to move and to generate its own resonance - which is carefully calculated to be a resonance that cancels out the main resonance - very nice! - but it leaves the CW resonating - and measurements of this approach show two smaller resonant peaks where previously there was one.

In the Shure cantilever version of the same, the CW is seperated from the cantilever by specially designed damping materials (elastomers) so the difference in motion between CW and cantilever results not only in cancellation but also in conversion to heat and therefore absorbing energy out of the system.

This was also used by a number of other brands in their CW's eg: Dual.

It is worth reading Pierre Lurne's comments on his tonearm designs ... he is deadset against any form of isolation/seperation of the arm from the CW, and in fact designs the CW in his arms to bolt to the arm in a manner that makes it a single piece.

He points out that any form of seperation / isolation here results in multiple vibrations rather than a single one, and that the more vibrations you have floating around in your system, the harder it is to design a solution that eliminates them.... (it is impossible to totally isolate the CW while still having it execute its function as a counter-weight.... and therefore the damped connection still involves transfer of energy in both directions....)

So even the standard CW mountings - which usually use some form of plastic as the inner surface up against the metal of the armtube, are a negative as they do in fact provide a degree of isolation and therefore an environment that generates additional seperate resonances (albeit at a very low level).

Anyway the short version of all this, is that semi-isolated anti-resonant CW's do work, and work well, but they are also a compromise solution, and perfectionist high end arms don't appear to use this method.

bye for now

David

Wow thanks for the well thought out response. Gives me more to think about. Sounds like the best solution for my lower end tables might be the simple aftermarket cap. I truly appreciate the insight.

Will applying a heat shrink sleeve over the tone arm help the OP in some way?

Or how about adding a few o-rings to the tone arm?

Won't either of these help?

Thanks, Bob

Back
Top Bottom