Did these small Sansui speakers similar to SP-10 come as a system?

maxhifi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Minding my own business this weekend, reading classified ads, and I found one for 1977 Sansui bookshelf speakers. I figured I'd be looking at a pair of SP-30 or something, but check out what I found. I haven't taken photos yet but they're identical to these:

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=n330117504

Each contains one 6.5" F-101 alnico magnet full range driver. The enclosures are real plywood covered in vinyl (why?). Nicely lined with acoustic damping material (looks like felt)

The Kumiko grills are miniature, and plastic.

The sound is good considering their size and age. Not too much high or low end, like you'd expect from single drivers, but they do a good job for something so simple.

Anyone know anything about these? What were they sold for? I can't find a single ad, or brochure.

I'd say those were just one of the many Japanese market only models Sansui made. They had nearly an entirely different speaker lineup in the JDM versus the models that were commonly seen in the US and other major export markets.. They do look like "cheapish" mini system speakers with the vinyl covering, keyhole wall hanger brackets and the hard-wired leads, versus the more typical rear terminal plate.

I'm not convinced the grilles are plastic, they look like the same wood grille material used on countless other Sansui speakers to me, right down to the medium walnut color finish.

I'm guessing they were probably part of a set with an integral tuner/amp/turntable unit, I can't make out the model number on the ID plate as the picture is too blurry on magnification, so have nothing further to go on for research.

If these were Japanese market only, whether part of a prepackaged system or not, you'll have a difficult time turning anything up. Brochures for JDM product just don't seem to have been scanned and posted online anywhere, by and large.

I bought a pair locally yesterday. The owner says his dad bought them new here in Canada, and that he even found the receipt from 1977. The ID plate doesn't have a model number, I can take a close up of the ones on mine later tonight if interested.

The grills are most certainly plastic, although they do look nice.

The ones you purchased are the same as those in the link? If so, that's odd but I'd still figure they arer JDM product, likely brought into Canada by someone who originally picked them up in Japan.

Then again, perhaps the Canadian distributor at the time had some imported for whatever reason. There have been some strange things that turned up specific to one market. The ES ariens speakers for example, which were acoustic suspension type in the same vein as the AS models seen in the US. These were only sold in part of Europe, likely commissioned by Sansui's European branch (probably the Belgian office that once existed) and never seen elsewhere. I've seen pictures of exactly one pair, and they didn't even have the correct Sansui logo, but rather a cast metal logo of an entirely different script typeface that said "Sansui". I'd have to guess they were contract manufactured in Europe to a provided specification, to fill a perceived demand unique to that sales area.

My point in posting about the ES speakers is simply that there are rarities out there that were sold in a narrow market in limited quantities, and perhaps you've unearthed another of these long forgotten and seldom seen oddities. The fact there is a pair for sale on yahoo auction Japan leads me to think they were Japanese market models, and part of mini-system sold there. None of which gets is any close to figuring out a model number or anything else useful.

The ones you purchased are the same as those in the link? If so, that's odd but I'd still figure they arer JDM product, likely brought into Canada by someone who originally picked them up in Japan.

Identical. I wondered too if it was a direct import, and the seller told me at what store they were purchased, and when. I'm curious why he didn't give me the receipt, maybe I should have asked to see it. Was in a bit of a rush while I picked them up.

perhaps you've unearthed another of these long forgotten and seldom seen oddities. The fact there is a pair for sale on yahoo auction Japan leads me to think they were Japanese market models, and part of mini-system sold there. None of which gets is any close to figuring out a model number or anything else useful.

One other piece of info I did manage to turn up, is that they use the same driver, and are visually similar to the SP-10, although I think those use a wood grill. They also lack speaker terminals which the SP-10 has. I actually found what little info I did after searching the number printed on the back of the single driver, since the cabinet lacked any sort of model number info.

Sansui did make some down market combos that were reworks/rebadges of existing models. The 221 receiver was rebadged as a Classique (number escapes me, 2020 maybe?) It was bundled with a low-tier turntable also and some shoebox speakers and sold as a combo, I've seen a scan of some old retail catalog page showing it, probably on here at some point.

These weren't terribly common and were an attempt to capitalize on low-price point sales at second tier retailers. But, they were sold in the US - and perhaps Canada - and are well known enough that there has been discussion of them here, and some are occasionally seen on Ebay.

The speakers you picked up are a relative mystery by comparison. My inclination based on your explanation is that they were JDM product that a major Canadian distributor decided they could sell in sufficient quantity to order a load and import them, as they were ready made product.

That the driver is common to the SP-10 is interesting, and the plastic grille is a first to my knowledge. I'm most struck by the hardwired leads, never seen any Sansui speaker before (excepting "new Sansui micro shelf system junk post 2000) that was made that way. Do the grilles snap in, or are they held by small screws?

You think you can go back to the seller and get additional info? I'd not lose sleep over it, but my curiosity is piqued nonetheless.

Sansui did make some down market combos that were reworks/rebadges of existing models. The 221 receiver was rebadged as a Classique (number escapes me, 2020 maybe?) It was bundled with a low-tier turntable also and some shoebox speakers and sold as a combo, I've seen a scan of some old retail catalog page showing it, probably on here at some point.

These weren't terribly common and were an attempt to capitalize on low-price point sales at second tier retailers. But, they were sold in the US - and perhaps Canada - and are well known enough that there has been discussion of them here, and some are occasionally seen on Ebay.

The speakers you picked up are a relative mystery by comparison. My inclination based on your explanation is that they were JDM product that a major Canadian distributor decided they could sell in sufficient quantity to order a load and import them, as they were ready made product.

That the driver is common to the SP-10 is interesting, and the plastic grille is a first to my knowledge. I'm most struck by the hardwired leads, never seen any Sansui speaker before (excepting "new Sansui micro shelf system junk post 2000) that was made that way. Do the grilles snap in, or are they held by small screws?

You think you can go back to the seller and get additional info? I'd not lose sleep over it, but my curiosity is piqued nonetheless.

Small screws attach the grill. The baffle board is plywood, and the enclosure appears to be plywood despite that it's wrapped in vinyl. The acoustic padding is good quality felt like in better models, and the driver is nicely made. The driver is attached to the baffle with machine screws which thread into threaded inserts. Likewise, the hooks on the back are attached by machine screws. I get the impression the whizzer is aluminum to help cool the voice coil. The driver surround is cloth, and is an inverted roll very similar to the larger sansui speakers of the era. Also, these speakers are surprisingly little - I'll take some photos of my pair so you can see what I mean.

It's almost like they disguised a good quality product as a poor quality one, it looks better made inside than outside. I will take some more photos and ask the seller for more info - though I doubt I will get much from him., I got the impression his dad passed away and he was disposing of things.

Max those are terrible speakers, they will cause havoc on your hearing.... please send them to me for proper disposal.:bigok:

Max those are terrible speakers, they will cause havoc on your hearing.... please send them to me for proper disposal.:bigok:

Most people seem to like Sansui amps - it's their speakers which are speaking to me though. I can look at the amps all day and not be the least bit tempted to buy, but I seem to want every set of Sansui speakers I come across (which lucky for my basement isn't many)

I really like their unique appearance, and unusual technical design - and the fretwork grills.

Back
Top Bottom