difference between sony ES and non-ES?

ferninando

Lunatic Member
I have a sony cdp non-ES model and am getting a ES version of the same model.
What is the difference between the 2? ES vs. non-ES.
thanks

The difference between the bonafide ES gear and run of the mill Sony gear is huge. There is a pretend ES line that is IMHO marketing nonesense, but I have owned some outstanding 80's and early 90's ES gear.

Real Sony ES is a joy to own and behold. Sony got very naughty in the early 90s and slapped the ES moniker on some pretty crappy gear so you have to be careful.

If you are wondering about a particular model or range, ask and we will happily give our educated opinions on which ES is good and which isn't.

Beat me to it, I recall seeing some ES gear that was clearly "rack filler", seemingly identical to lower range items but sold with wood side panels and ES badging so ES owners would add them to their systems. Hence the comments about "real / bonafide ES".

OK. does a cdp302 qualify in non ES dress. Sound is really good. and build is great and heavy.
So Im expecting the ES would be equal or better.
Looks are identicle.

Real Sony ES is a joy to own and behold. Sony got very naughty in the early 90s and slapped the ES moniker on some pretty crappy gear so you have to be careful.

If you are wondering about a particular model or range, ask and we will happily give our educated opinions on which ES is good and which isn't.
It extended well into the 90s.
I had a Sony CD deck in my truck for a few years. It had issues and the repairs weren't worth the coin vs a new one. I ended up buying an ES model and it was OK, but there really wasn't anything 'ES' about it. The older unit was better actually.

I worked for Sony in the 90s. 'Naughty' is being nice, IMO.

I will now be able to hear the ES/non ES diff for myself.
A 2nd SONY CDP302 , this one is a ES, I found on CL for $15 and bought came in.
The tray function needs attention (sticks), but the AK thread to fix that will help.
As it turns out the ES version was for Canada as it has line voltage selection in back.
Any other diffs I'll have to dog out in the svc mnl.
But this 2nd one is in as excellent cond as the 1st one I got. Eventually they will run stacked
using vib. absorbing blocks an AKr used in his installation to keep units separated and free of ext. vibs.
I tell ya this is one of the reasons why this ''hobby'' has ''appeal'' as mentioned in another thread.
Looking forward to digging into this thing for some summer fun. It's been scorching hot here 2 wks running
and I am in need of a cooldown sooon. We've gone from drought to heatwave overnite it seems like.
Must be gloobel warming.

The cdp302, cdp302es and the cdp520es are exactly the same, they share the same service manual.

read this thread to see some repair/restore tips:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1985-sony-cdp-302-tray-problem-repair.411440/

The laser and overall mechanism is the best Sony ever made- it was used right up to the CDP-X7/77/777es machines.

Actually, the 302 and 302 ES have slightly different electrolytic output capacitors. The ES had 4 "audio grade" caps whereas the 302 had standard caps. The service manual differentiates between the two.

thanks electone. So there were some bettr parts used in the ES line. seems the rite thing to do.
yes I have been studying that thread. Using it to fix a tray problem on a 2nd 302 I just got on CL with a stuck tray.

Back
Top Bottom