Difference between Stanton 500 MKII and Stanton 500 AL? - Response mV

Jg014

Hello friends, good day. In these last days he was interested in buying a Stanton cartridge line 500, but I realized that there are several models, including the 'MKII' and 'AL'. I wanted to know which is the best model of the 500 line, as this model cartridge cartridges labeled it as 'hi fi' because of its sound quality.

Furthermore I would also like to know where I can find the technical specifications of each model cartridge, as I have understood that the model '500 AL' delivery 6 mV response, compared to the MKII delivery only 3 to 4 mV.

I would appreciate if you could tell as which model is best and which is the best sound quality transmitted when playing vinyls. From already thank you very much.

I am not an expert on Stanton, however, this data from vinyl engine should help you.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

Look at dynamic compliance. It appears that the AL it's more suitable for a medium mass tone arm, the other would prefer a low mass tone arm.

Tell us what turntable and tone arm you plan on using and we could help you select the proper cartridge.

The difference in mv output, whether 3 or 5, is not significant. The one with the higher output will play slightly louder for a given volume position.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The big difference with Stanton stuff is the stylus. The bodies are all basically the same. The various model numbers basically just tell you which stylus is plugged in. You can get any Stanton 500 stylus and plug it into any 500 body, and make it into whatever the stylus is.

All that said, the 500 isn't their best model. If you can, see about stepping up to a 680 or 681 family cartridge. Same thing with those as far as the stylus really being the difference between models. The other trick with Stanton stuff is that Pickering models are also interchangeable. The Stanton 500 is the Pickering V15. The Stanton 681 is the Pickering XV-15.

Yes, the bodies stay the same with minimal changes. In Stanton 500, the AL II was the last classic 2-5 gram tracking .7 mil conical heavy duty tip. A common Top 40 radio favorite and the mainstay of AM radio.

I am not an expert on Stanton, however, this data from vinyl engine should help you.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

Look at dynamic compliance. It appears that the AL it's more suitable for a medium mass tone arm, the other would prefer a low mass tone arm.

Tell us what turntable and tone arm you plan on using and we could help you select the proper cartridge.

The difference in mv output, whether 3 or 5, is not significant. The one with the higher output will play slightly louder for a given volume position.

Good luck.

Hello bobins08. Thank you very much for this guide! He knew the web but did not know he had such information hosted on your site. It has been very helpful, really thanks.

The big difference with Stanton stuff is the stylus. The bodies are all basically the same. The various model numbers basically just tell you which stylus is plugged in. You can get any Stanton 500 stylus and plug it into any 500 body, and make it into whatever the stylus is.

All that said, the 500 isn't their best model. If you can, see about stepping up to a 680 or 681 family cartridge. Same thing with those as far as the stylus really being the difference between models. The other trick with Stanton stuff is that Pickering models are also interchangeable. The Stanton 500 is the Pickering V15. The Stanton 681 is the Pickering XV-15.

Hello gadget73, nice to see you again here. Interesting information which you have provided. Had a minimum knowledge that Stanton was related in some way to Pickering, but did not know exactly what was the matter. With respect to the for I'm looking for a cartridge 500 to buy, was that I communicate directly with the people of Stanton and asked they said that was the cartridge model best suited to play recordings of 78 rpm, to which they I responded that the line 500 are the best for this purpose, where the same way the line 600 can ride well too. I searched for information on the net and I've heard 78 recordings captured with a cartridge 500 and in my opinion the sound is magnificent, virtually noise-free and with a clear answer. The only drawback I see is that it has a short treble response. I ask you by experience that suggest that you buy a cartridge line 600, today not heard any recordings with some model of that line as for its sound quality, but I have understood that there are several models of stylus are perfectly adapted to different models of capsules without problems. The same also want to know is that if mV greater response, better sound quality. From already thank you.

I've never heard or owned a Stanton 600, so I can't offer opinions there. I've also not really dug heavily into 78 rpm cartridges. The only machine I own that can play 78's currently runs a 1950s vintage GE cartridge. I haven't experimented outside of that. 78's can also require different EQ curves, depending on who made the record and when. Its a pretty complex thing if you really want to make them as good as possible.

but anyway, if you plan to fit a 78 rpm stylus to a Stanton 500 body, it really does not matter which one you get. THe output and frequency response and such will be determined by the 78 stylus.

Yes, stylus choice determines output and frequency response. And the 500 is a common choice for professional and advanced vintage disc lovers and archivists.

Hey, I'm only 3 years late on this post, but my Luxman PD-284 had a Stanton 500-II black cartridge from many years ago and I was sold a Stanton D5100 AL-II stylus later. This was a classic DJ setup I believe (and not what I wanted or needed) especially because that stylus was meant to track at 2 to 5 grams -- a vinyl killer. Never played that TT much after that. But I revisited the Luxman recently, kept the Stanton 500-II cartridge, replaced the stylus with an LP Gear Stanton 8DE5100EE, and it sounds good, and tracks at 1.7 grams to protect my vinyl, but has TONS of sibilance at the beginning of some LPs. Not bed, though, for $36.

QUESTION: Can I do better with this same Stanton 500-II cartridge? Maybe a better stylus? That would save me money that I could use to upgrade my other TT.

Or does the Luxman need a new cartridge? I believe this TT's tone arm (and maybe the entire TT) was designed/built by Micro Seiki. One poster suggested: "...put a high compliance Stanton, Shure or Ortofon on it and you’ll have a great tonearm/cartridge match.Rock solid stability and great isolation with a sweet tone arm/"

If there are any AK members left in the room here LOL? If so, a reply would be so appreciated.

Needlestein, I'm so glad you found my post and provided such thorough information. Wow! I can't thank you enough. Everything you mentioned makes sense. I was so confident in your reply that I purchased the D-AME-3 literally minutes after reading your post. I'm particularly excited because I haven't really gotten this Luxman to sing despite owning it for 30 years. Back then I knew some turntable basics (tracking, anti-skate, etc.) but didn't get much deeper. Lately I've been relying on a Denon DP-23F that I found at a thrift store, which sounds pretty good. This stylus mighty bring back the Luxman. Wish I could return the favor somehow. I'll post back. Cheers!

Needlestein, I received the stylus that I bought on eBay. Package says: "DUOTONE 965 D replacement for PICKERING D-AME-3 V-15-3 Series." Has the DUSTMATIC brush.

The new cartridge slides into the Stanton 500-II cartridge okay, stays put, but hangs awkwardly out from the front. Very, very different looking than the stylus I'm trying to replace. There's no way to actually fully seat the new stylus because the stylus body does not properly mate with the cartridge where the two touch -- one is flat, the other is curved. Physically appears to be a mismatch. Musically, it doesn't perform, either. No matter how I set my tracking/antiskate using the Lux 284 settings and a Shure obstacle course test record, I get an almost shrill sound with crazy sibilance. This can't be the correct stylus. If you're still checking in, please offer any thoughts, okay? I can also send pictures. Thanks.

Genuine if possible, Stanton 500 or Pickering V15 options work. 500AL is 2-5 gram tracking force, 20-18,000 hertz response, heavy duty. Also, this cartridge does better in medium mass or higher tonearms.

that stylus was meant to track at 2 to 5 grams -- a vinyl killer.

But according to 1960s LP sleeves, stylus pressures up to 10 grams will not wear your mono records, and 5 grams is ideal for stereo LPs!

recordcare.jpg

Needlestein, I received the stylus that I bought on eBay. Package says: "DUOTONE 965 D replacement for PICKERING D-AME-3 V-15-3 Series." Has the DUSTMATIC brush.

The new cartridge slides into the Stanton 500-II cartridge okay, stays put, but hangs awkwardly out from the front. Very, very different looking than the stylus I'm trying to replace. There's no way to actually fully seat the new stylus because the stylus body does not properly mate with the cartridge where the two touch -- one is flat, the other is curved. Physically appears to be a mismatch. Musically, it doesn't perform, either. No matter how I set my tracking/antiskate using the Lux 284 settings and a Shure obstacle course test record, I get an almost shrill sound with crazy sibilance. This can't be the correct stylus. If you're still checking in, please offer any thoughts, okay? I can also send pictures. Thanks.
Sounds like maybe they sent you a V15-Micro IV by mistake?

What kills vinyl is tracking too light or playing records when they're obviously mis-tracking.

There are a lot of myths about vinyl killing . . .

Sounds like maybe they sent you a V15-Micro IV by mistake?
Well, maybe. Here are some photos of my (1) 500-II cartridge that I'm trying to upgrade, (2) the Stanton D5100 AL-II (blue stylus) that I'm replacing, (3) the D-AME-3 stylus that I bought a few days ago (but maybe not the right one?), and (4) the box that the new stylus came in. Thanks for all of the replies. Great forum, here.
AK post cartridge photo June 2017.jpg Stanton D5100 AL-II blue stylus being replaced.jpg AK post D-AME-3 new stylus June 2017.jpg D-AME-3 box.jpg

Last edited:
But according to 1960s LP sleeves, stylus pressures up to 10 grams will not wear your mono records, and 5 grams is ideal for stereo LPs!

recordcare.jpg
They're serious. I had no idea. I actually thought that tracking at anything more than 2-3 grams was ... illegal. MY TT won't let me track at more than 3 grams. (Antiskate adjustment is maximum 3 plus change.) Interesting.

Well, maybe. Here are some photos of my (1) 500-II cartridge that I'm trying to upgrade, (2) the Stanton D5100 AL-II (blue stylus) that I'm replacing, (3) the D-AME-3 stylus that I bought a few days ago (but maybe not the right one?), and (4) the box that the new stylus came in. Thanks for all of the replies. Great forum, here.View attachment 953636 View attachment 953634 View attachment 953635 View attachment 953633
Looks like I got what I ordered. Sort of a bummer. And if that's the case I'm right back to (1) looking for another stylus that will fit/upgrade my 500-II cartridge, OR looking for a new cartridge that will pull some nice sound out of my Luxman 284. Hey, it's all about the thrill of the hunt, right? Thanks for all of the comments.
Duotone eBay purchase snip optimized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom