Difference between Stanton 500 MKII and Stanton 500 AL? - Response mV

So the Pickering V15 styli and the Stanton 500 styli are very different looking. But they are compatible. Are you saying that the gap between the "horns" on the V15 stylus is narrower than the cartridge body? If that's the case, it's the wrong stylus.

But according to 1960s LP sleeves, stylus pressures up to 10 grams will not wear your mono records, and 5 grams is ideal for stereo LPs!

recordcare.jpg

Barest maximum specification. Not what tracks best or has longer record life. Big difference.

Thanks again for the help. Here are some pics. Remember: the blue Stanton stylus is only shown for reference because I've had two stylii that are exactly that shape (the blue AL and an LP Gear) and they fit perfectly (and the LP Gear actually sounds nice). However, the D-AME-3 is also a nicer fit -- contrary to what I thought earlier. The wings (nice description, BTW) sort of wrap around the 500-II body nicely. Physically, they both look like they're from different planets -- and the D-AME-3 on the Stanton 500-II cartridge just looks wrong LOL. But....the problem might be my TT. The tonearm is supposedly a low mass tone arm. The arms (and maybe all of the TTs) in the Luxman 200 Series (mine's a PD-284) were supposedly made by Micro Seiki.

1. With the D-AME-3 in the cart I set the tracking at 1.2 grams, but had to set the anti-skate at the TT's max setting of 3+. (That sent up a red flag.) Some distortion, tons of sibilance, unlistenable.
2. Then I upped the tracking to 2 grams just to see. Sibilance dropped, less distortion, but could not properly adjust the antiskate -- was already maxed out. But I started to hear wonderful things from the new stylus. Clear high end. Great detail.
3. Upped the tracking to 2.5. Sibilance dropped even more, but still too much to accept. However, heard even better sound -- details I've never heard before. But quickly removed the record because the arm really wanted to fly to the center.

Maybe these tests mighty help shed some light? Maybe there's a nice stylus in there, but I can't rake advantage of it? Just a guess.

PD-284 tone arm June 21.jpg Shot of Stanton and D-AME-3 top views June 21.jpg Stanton 500-II with D-AME-3 mounted June 21.jpg Stanton AL with D-AME-3 replacement June 21.jpg

Sounds like a plan. I'll remove the stylus brush -- (but I was actually pretty excited about using it -- never had one LOL) -- and will see how things sound. I'll start tracking at 2 grams and go from there. Without the brush might the new stylus's antiskate number (set using the no-groove band on the test record) be closer to the tracking number? Side note: Not sure what you mean by "...mine collapses at 3g." Or the phrase "...so the suspension has softened." I also forgot that every needle has a break-in period. Thanks again.

Got it. All clear. Thanks a million to you and all the other AK members. I'm no dumbbunny, but getting a proper stylus and then getting it set up takes some doing. And we're not even talking about overhang and vertical tracking angle and.... I'll bet the overwhelming number of turntables out there are poorly set up. No more questions, I promise.

Yes, that would probably be the best (and most expensive) thing to do -- would eliminate the need for many of the compromises and adjustments we've been talking about here to get this 500-II cartridge and new stylus (plus tone arm) to play well together. I've been Googling this very topic (new cart) over the past 12 months or so (keywords: "best cartridge for Luxman PD-284") and have compiled a list of cartridges that various people have recommended in forums and articles. Knowing very little about this Stanton 500-II cartridge, however, I first wanted to know if I could "re-purpose" this cartridge by adding a new/old stylus that sounds absolutely stunning. Worth a shot. The Luxman has never really sounded all that great and the limiting factor has probably been the cartridge and/or the "wrong" (wrong for me, anyway) 500 AL II disk jockey stylus (although some AK members really like these Stanton 500/600?/etc. cartridges. I'm learning. And I'm not opposed to a new cart.

If you'd like a decent cartridge with a stylus that uses a brush and is suitable for lower mass arms I'd suggest a Shure M97xe which (IMO) does everything well and doesn't cost a fortune. I always run into the same issues as you whenever I try to find a good Pickering / Stanton stylus for a given cartridge. Lots of choices and some that should be great but sometimes it's easier to start over with a currently available model.

The Pickering V15 / Stanton 500 is a legendary workhorse of a cartridge, but in this day and age it can be tricky finding a good stylus for one. After experimenting with several recently, I put my 500 on the back burner and got a Pickering XV15 instead. And I'm happy to say that with the cheap, readily available 606-DEX stylus, it is one of the best-sounding cartridges I've ever heard!

5704551671_03377a8683_b.jpg

More great replies. Thanks to all for sharing your time, knowledge, and opinions. I'll be off the grid for the weekend, but will revisit AK early next week in the hope of either upgrading the 500-II cart or finding a new cart.

So, I re-installed the D-AME-3 stylus in the 500-II but removed the stylus brush and began experimenting. Set the tracking at 1 gram (to start), but had to set the anti-skate at 2+ grams to keep the needle from wandering inward. Then set the tracking to 2 grams, but even at the maximum anti-skating setting of 3+, the cart still pushed inward on the blank band. In both cases the sound was full of sibilance. The D-AME-3 is apparently not a good match for the PD-284's low mass arm. Just for reference, I should note that the LP Gear Stanton D5100EE replacement stylus (that I'm now using with the 500-II behaves well, can accommodate a "normal" anti-skate setting, and sounds okay.) But I'm looking for more. My options are:
1. To see what needlestein has to offer as a perfect stylus for my existing 500-II cart
2. Bag the Stanton and go new.
-- One such recommendation was to "Put a high compliance Stanton, Shure or Ortofon on it (my TT) and you’ll have a great tonearm/cartridge match."
-- Another poster said "Once mated to a Shure DM95 Type G cartridge with Shure 75 HE stylus, this table will sing like you wouldn't believe."
-- Try an M97xE, as noted 2X above (and loved by still many others).
-- "Grado Black" entry level.
-- Other $$$ suggestions: "A 2M Blue would be a great choice, although some prefer the slightly warmer sound of the older 500 series. The 520 mkll or 530 mkll would then be my suggestions." "Audio Technica AT440mla or Denon DL110."

Thanks if anyone is still listening.

Can anyone use the D-AME-3? It was new when I bought it, but technically is a used stylus now. Or I can sell on Ebay to recoup my investment?

That seller is easy to deal with. They might take it back.

PM me your address and I'll let you try a P Mount stylus for that cartridge.

Hi, needlestein. This may be a dumb question but when you say, "a P Mount stylus for that cartridge" I think you are talking about fitting your suggested P Mount stylus to my non-P Mount Stanton cartridge. Is that even possible? (I'm assuming it is or you wouldn't have suggested it.) PM must mean "private message?"

Finally found a terrific stylus for my vintage Stanton 500-II cart and Luxman low-mass straight tonearm: a Pickering DE stylus recommended by needlestein. The Luxman, Stanton, and Pickering really like each other. It's the best my Stanton cart has ever sounded by a long shot. And no more sibilance. Completely gone. Tested on "Thriller," "Temple of Low Men" by Crowded House, and Steely Dan's "Gaucho." Tracks lightly and with all kinds of confidence. Just wanted to share what I've learned here. Again, many thanks to all the AK members who chimed in. Now I have some money to spend on another TT cart -- or on re-foaming my Boston HD8s -- or....

Okay. Makes sense. It's like saying "Version 2" or "Lot 2" or "Model 2." So, presumably the 500 mkII would be a newer/upgraded version of a Stanton 500 cart?
Yes. According to a post on another forum:

"The new Stanton 500 Mk II styli are slightly different from the older ones for the original Stanton 500.

The Mk II bodies differ; their coils will produce a slightly more extended high end in most systems. So the styli for them
were redesigned to offset this. Since the difference is going to be above 11 kHz or so, you would probably notice the difference
only on pristine records with extreme highs cleanly cut and pressed, and maybe not even then."

Back
Top Bottom