Difference in Marantz 2225 and 2245

Jackson Avio

I have recently purchased a Marantz 2225 and a Marantz 2245. I find that the 2225 has a crisper sound, and the 2245 has the underlying hum of too much base. Is this something that should be expected, or should I change be changing my speakers?

Hi

You probably have a problem with the 2245
It has much more power and a more sophisticated design
So if the 2225 sounds better then you probably have a problem with 2245

Just my 2 cents

the 2245 is an awesome receiver and my personal favorite, whats your other gear your using it with, could be an issue with receiver or maybe just need to adjust the tone or loudness, possibly the speakers

If you turn it up to no greater than 12 o'clock a loud hum comes through the bass. Or if you put the loudness at low volumes a loud hum comes through the bass. My speakers are JBL-L26's. Do you think it's the speakers? This doesn't happen when I turn up my 225 which sounds sweet. I am new to owning any of these receivers so sorry if I sound like I don't know what I am doing. Thanks for your help!

the speakers are rated at 35 watts and the 2245 is rated 45 watts and probably closer to 50. the 2225 is about half the power of 2245 so at 12 o'clock you would be getting almost double the output from 2245, i would guess its possible the speakers cant handle the higher output when you crank it. not sure why it would hum when the loudness button is pressed that sounds more like a receiver issue. im not a tech guy so maybe one will chime in

Thanks Chrisxco ...... Yes I think the 2245 must be too much for the JBL L26's........ Do you have any suggestions for a good pair ( similar vintage ) speakers which would work well ?

Your list of receivers makes me drool

yes i have way to many now and im planning on selling a few soon. whats your price range for speakers? there is a ton of them that would work. do you want floor standers or bookshelf. i love my ohm walsh 2XO's and thats what i usually pair with my 2245. Klipsch Kg4s work well too Fortes are better but not all that much and cost double. Kef Q100 or 300 are nice for newer speakers. if you like bass bookshelfs would need a sub woofer most likely.

Thanks Chrisxo .............Floor standers under $400 used ? Similar vintage to Marantz 2245 and hopefully re-foamed already :)........ I'm really enjoying the search for used stuff I could only dream of buying back in the day !

My stereo room is 400 sq. ft. and I'm listening to classic rock on vinyl.

Your speakers aren't causing the hum. The electrolytic caps in these are drying out with age. Common symptoms include more hum and a muddy sound as the capacitance has increased maybe as much as 50% but the series resistance has risen possibly as well. So you have a different circuit than the original design in effect. I recommend a recapping and some will disagree with me. None of my hundred plus recapped units weren't loved by their owners though!

Thanks rBuckner ....... I am seeing lots of references to "re-capping" .......... sounds like something you just do to Vintage Marantz receivers. I'm going to get this 2245 checked out :)

Had to do a little searching to find it. Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to have a great pretend time listening to my pretend 4140. :beerchug:

You get the right speakers with a well serviced 2245 and you'll never give it up. I used a 2245 in place of my McIntosh MC2505 and C26 while they were being serviced. It was powering two 15" Altec 604e's made in 1969. Sounded great!!! The McIntosh equipment went back into the music room. The 2245 is prominently displayed and played in the living room.

greater than 12 o'clock a loud hum comes through the bass. Or if you put the loudness at low volumes a loud hum comes through the bass. My speakers are JBL-L26's

Are you using a turntable when this happens ? Maybe this is just feedback through the turntable ?

at 12 o'clock you would be getting almost double the output from 2245

The position of the volume knob is not a reference at all. It depends on the whole circuitry, sensitivity, etc, etc... It is perfectly possible that the 2225 puts out more power at 12 o'clock than the 2245.
More likely the 2245 WILL put out more power at a given knob position but it's not something to use for a comparison.
And, with modern source like a CD player, 12 o'clock usually wrings out all the power of a unit.

Back
Top Bottom