Differences of DAC chipsets?

Phi

Guys!

Can someone point out the differences of the DAC chips and their characteristics.

say..

Wolfson --- sound character and recommendation which Genre of music they fit in?
Cirrus Logic...

I just bought an Onkyo C 7030 with a slaved Wolfson DAC and its sensational with which ever music you enjoy listening to, it's not like changing the stylus out....

Reactions: Phi
I just bought an Onkyo C 7030 with a slaved Wolfson DAC and its sensational with which ever music you enjoy listening to, it's not like changing the stylus out....

c7030 aint warm sounding.. wolfson is not s musical compared with some systems other than wokfson

c7030 aint warm sounding.. wolfson is not s musical compared with some systems other than wokfson

The concept of warm is based on altered frequencies just like the Lazer Disc players in the nineties or a pair of Sennheizer HD Pro 280's

I would'nt own any DAC that wont reproduce all genres of music satisfactorily,be it in a stand-alone DAC or another source like a CDP or such.

Around here are:
TDA1541 (Magnavox CDB-460 & CDB-470 ~ CDP's)
TDA1543 (Magnavox CDB-500 & CDB-502 ~ CDP's)
PCM61P (Onkyo DX-1400 ~ CDP)
PCM63P-J (have 2 Parasound D/AC-1000 ~ DAC)
PCM1701P (Kenwood DP-5020 ~ CDP)
PCM1780 (Yamaha CD-S300RK ~ CDP)
AK4396 (Schiit Optimodi ~ DAC)

Oh and a couple of FiiO D03K (??? DAC) just for use with TV's and such...

All those sound great with everything I've ever played thru them.

FWIW

Bret P.

Reactions: Phi
^ Above, the first 5 DAC's are parallel, multi-bit type (in my experience they have the possibility to sound the best with CD-sourced material). Although the 1543 is a cheaper version of 1451, it still sounds OK (not great). The PCM63 is the absolute best there.
The PCM1780 is a multilevel delta-sigma that has, for that generation, the top three bits (MSB) as multilevel so it sounds a little better than pure delta-sigma - newer TI DAC models are using up to 5 bits for the same reason.

what is the i
^ Above, the first 5 DAC's are parallel, multi-bit type (in my experience they have the possibility to sound the best with CD-sourced material). Although the 1543 is a cheaper version of 1451, it still sounds OK (not great). The PCM63 is the absolute best there.
The PCM1780 is a multilevel delta-sigma that has, for that generation, the top three bits (MSB) as multilevel so it sounds a little better than pure delta-sigma - newer TI DAC models are using up to 5 bits for the same reason.

what is the industry standard superior DAC?

Oh yeah,forgot to mention the DAC in the SB Zx soundcard in my desktop 'puter.
IIRC that is a CS4398.

Analog out on that card sounds very MEH,,,but that could easily be the fault of the opamps vs. the DAC,,,honestly I dunno...
Those are: JRC 4556A (line out) and JRC 2114 (headphones),I strongly suspect that's an area that could be improved upon.
Should be easy enough as I recall the SB/Zx literature as saying they're swappable,I just need to decide which opamps would be worth trying in their place.

Instead I just side-stepped that whole situation & use the optical out from the Zx and split that with a Monoprice powered 1in/2out splitter
1 leg goes to one of those Parasound D/AC-1000 for my computer desk's headphone/nearfield system.
The other leg goes to the Schiit Optimodi that feeds my main BR system.

Very happy with both those DAC's,so much so that I bought a second D/AC-1000 for my big Adcom rack enclosure system.
And if I needed to I'd definitely be willing to buy another Schiit for one of my other systems so long as the price were right.

Are there better DAC's out there,almost certainly yes,but these got my needs covered pretty well for now.

FWIW

Bret P.

what is the i

what is the industry standard superior DAC?
The industry standard DACs cost in excess of $25K. I like my Auralic Vega DAC. It sells for around $2.5K now new. Less if used. You will still need a digital source like the Auralic Aires for another 1K. There are many other brands to listen too, but once you spend over $2K for a DAC the differences for anything at a higher price are not that great.

That $25K is just for bragging rights. Like driving a Bentley to... anywhere. IMO a DAC that costs $2-3K is most likely indistinguishable from those $25K. And if it is a parallel multibit one... it might be even better :)

Back
Top Bottom