Different platter diameters on Thorens TD-135´s?

hifi_nut

Vintage? I´m vintage!
Beeing the proud owner of 7 Thorens TT´s right now, I am presently on the lookout for a TD-135. I was quite surprised to find out that, apparently, some seem to sport a 10" or therebouts platter, whereas some others have 12" one.

I had always thought that the TD-135 was the cheaper brother of the TD-124 having a similar sized, though lighter, platter and a pressed chassis, rather than the more expensive cast one as used on the TD-124, motor and transmission parts being virtually identical.

Can someone, please, cast some light on this matter, based on the two different attached pics of a couple of 135´s I´m watching on ebay?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 135 large.jpg
    135 large.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 135 Small.JPG
    135 Small.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 46
I might be wrong, but I've never heard of a 10" or so platter. The platter on a 135 is 300mm, or 11.8"

I'll send you some info and pic in a minute or so.

Also, the pic showing the mat with the Lenco strobe, is not the correct mat. Mats on a 135 are glued on the platter.

Here are a few info on this TT.

I'm always in contact with a Thorens club in France. I've been on the marlet for this TT for a while now. I've a few members in France looking for one for me.

TD 135

Production: 1961-19641965-1968 (Mk II)
Entrainement 1 Courroie + Galet
Subchassis:
Moteur: AC; 4-poliger Reluktanzmotor (Asynchronmotor)

Vitesse: 16, 33, 45,78/min; pitch ±3%
Type:
Arret Auto: non.
Plateau:

Palier:

300 mm; Zn-Spritzguss, Aluminium (zweiteilig); 3 kg

Tonarm: BTD-12 S, TP 14 (TD 135 / II)
Dimensions (B x T): 380 x 350 x 170 mm (seulement le Chassis
Gewicht: 5,8 kg (seulement le chassis)
Prix a l´epoque: 220 €

After looking at moinau´s pics it struck me that the answer might be a simple one. The TD-135 MK-II I showed could be fitted with the smaller platter from a TD-134 or TD-184.

After looking at moinau´s pics it struck me that the answer might be a simple one. The TD-135 MK-II I showed could be fitted with the smaller platter from a TD-134 or TD-184.

I went back and did some more research on this.
You are correct, platter are interchangeable, but usually people will try to find a 135 platter to fit on the 184 or the 134 TT

On the 134 there are two platter available, a light and a heavier type platter, also, just like the 124, and 135 TT, a platter made of steel and one made of Zamak.

People getting the 134 or the 184 will eventually find a 135 platter, reason be, heavier = more mass.

The 134 and the 184 TT are found on different type plinth or mounted in cabinet, or as a portable TT with two speakers and an amp. This type is called, Les Gémeaux.

I've a few pics of this family of TT. There is also another one called the 121, that came with the big platter, same as the 124 and the

I can get more info on this family of Thorens,
I you read French, I can simply give you the site if you want.

The 135 MKII with the 300mm Zamak platter

135 MKII

The 135 MKI with the 300mm steel platter.

The 135 MKI with a Zamak 300mm platter

The 134 with the small steel platter Size ? Approx: 250mm
This 134 comes in a cabinet.

The 184 with the small platter, again, appox: 250mm

134 in a cabinet

A portable 134, also called Les Gémeaux.

A 134 with the Luxembourg amp

184 Les Gémeaux with a steel platter 250mm

Last edited:
Thanks for your great info, moinau.

I own a TD-184. I´ll have to check whether it has the heavy or light platter.

I do read french, so if you can point me to that site, I would really appreciatte it.

Which leads me to another question. If I replace the platter on my TD-184 with a larger one, as well as the arm with a TP-14, for example, I basically get a TD-135, right? :D

I´m wondering, because 184´s are cheaper to get than 135´s.

Almost. There would be a couple of difference. On those sites, there are a few discussions about that. Motors are the same, but the inside are all slightly different from one to the other.
The heavyweight are the 124, 121, and the 135, while the light weight are the 134 and the 184. I also forgot to mention the different plinths. The 124, 121, and the 135 were available with a long base version. The 125 and the 126, also had long base versions. In North America we are not familiar with those versions, well at least me; At the time I wasn't.

Anyway, those two sites are audio club, something like AK
Becoming a member, will give you more access, and give you the opportunity to engage in discussions.
Having visited your country numerous time, I found out that English is widely spoken in the Northern part, while French is most often heard in the Central and Southern parts. Which region of Portugal are you from?

You will get more responses from the Thorens Idler site.

http://thorens.xooit.fr/portal.php

http://thorens.idler.xooit.fr/index.php

Last edited:
Wonderful photos, moinau! You pretty much NEVER see those 'other' Thorens models in the US, and probably Canada too.

The TD-184 sure is cute, a sort of 'baby TD-124.'

Yes you're right. Not until I became a member of these club, I had never seen most of those tables. While almost non existent in North America, funny thing is, they are all ready to be used on both continents, 100v - 240v 50hz and 60hz respectively.
So if ever anybody sees one, and is interested, they should go for it.
I'm always on the look out for one of those idler. There is something about this family of Thorens, 121, 124, 134, 135, and the 184, that is quite appealing.

Hi Mel,

Thanks for reminding me. I'll get more in the following days. If you want, I'll channel the infos and photos threw:D (through) you if you want. You'll be able to see what's pertinent and of interest to the Thorens link.

I had to make a small correction, the words through and threw, although similar sounding to me, are not quite the same.
My wife came to my rescue, again . :D

Last edited:
That sounds great! This a a turntable that we can certainly use more information on, you don’t see much about them. :thmbsp:

Having visited your country numerous time, I found out that English is widely spoken in the Northern part, while French is most often heard in the Central and Southern parts. Which region of Portugal are you from?

I´m from Lisbon, the capital.
The reason english is more widely spoken up north is because, as you might know, most of the Oporto wine producers are english family based businesses.
French, on the other hand was the aristroctic language of the social wannabes in the capital, if you get my meaning.:D

Thank you for the links. I´ll check them up tonight.

Good luck finding a 135, or any other for that matter. Your chances are a lot better than mine, being in Europe in close to the best available.

Although French is my mother tongue, rest assured, I'm not from the aristocracy.:D

In the mid 70s, did some camping with my wife and son in the Douro valley , near Porto, and near Amarante. Very nice region, good wine, and excellent Porto. Still today, I always have a good bottle home, although the price is a weeeeeee bit more :D now, in Canada than it was in the 70s, in your country. Last time I was in Lisboa, was in 1999, when my ship landed there for 12 days.

Let me know if I may be of any help in finding a 135 for you. I´m watching 4 of them right now on ebay, and although not cheap, it is commom commom to see at least a couple for sale at any given time.

Back
Top Bottom