Different wood colors/shades on Marantz cases?

Arkay

Lunatic Member
Today I picked up another Marantz 2230. I like the sound of this model, but that wasn't the main reason for getting it, since I'm paring back on gear. The main reason was the wood case it was in. It looked considerably LIGHTER in shade than the almost uniformly slightly age-darkened walnut I usually see.

In fact, it was enough lighter in shade that it looked as if it were made from a different kind of wood altogether. Not pine, but almost more the shade of aged pine or elm, than aged walnut. I recall seeing at least one pic here on AK that also had that lighter-wood look to it, but can't find the pic now. I vaguely remember some discussion about it, too, but can't remember details and can't seem to find it again.

Did Marantz offer a different wood case finish/veneer, other than the usual walnut? The ubiquitous darker ones do lighten up somewhat with sanding or stripping, but I've not seen one lighten up as much as this. I think it is original finish, or if it was stripped, it must have been done some time ago. The lighter wood looked very pretty with the 2230, and I paid less for the whole than just the wood cases usually cost, so I didn't resist. :D

Can anyone shed light on this?

Oh, the other thing different about this receiver that I did NOT like was that the nameplate/badge --the label on the back which says the model number, where it was made, etc...-- was missing! Just two small holes where it used to be attached. The power switch is also not working properly, a common failing on these. I'll fix it all up, but may decide to move the wood case to another receiver, if I decide to sell it as part of my paring down. I think maybe a 2285B would like nice in this lighter shade of wood, too. :D

I have two wood cases and one is the dark walnut, but the other one is a lighter one. Much lighter in fact. Not sure which I like better.

I would wager a guess that whatever wood veener that was avalible at any given moment was used.

I have four wood cases, two are light and two are dark. I agree with suprpntr that whatever wood veneer that was available was used. They are fairly easy to refinish in a light or dark style if you find you end up prefering one or the other.

Well, apart from the natural differences of wood, I have seen pieces of wood that were left in sunlight for many years take on a dramatically changed colour.

Speakers often show this: one speaker spends 10 or more years in a sunny spot, and its matched brother that stayed in another part of the room winds up being several (or more) shades darker.

Also, was it the metal plate that also carries the serial number that is missing on your new acquisition? If so, that rates a "hmmm..." in my books. One wonders why it might have become lost.

Well, apart from the natural differences of wood, I have seen pieces of wood that were left in sunlight for many years take on a dramatically changed colour.

Speakers often show this: one speaker spends 10 or more years in a sunny spot, and its matched brother that stayed in another part of the room winds up being several (or more) shades darker.

Also, was it the metal plate that also carries the serial number that is missing on your new acquisition? If so, that rates a "hmmm..." in my books. One wonders why it might have become lost.

I've seen sunlight fading, but these differences are too dramatic and too even to be that.

Come to think of it, you're right, that plate also carries the serial number. Does give one pause for thought. Getting it from a wholesale dealer (who I think got it out of a container-load of old stuff from the States, but I might be wrong about that), though, means I'm hardly supporting any possible theif, so I'm okay with that aspect. Just wish the plate were still there!

I have one on my 125 tuner that the color and grain looks like teak.

WC-1A.jpg

Yep, that is exactly what my 2 contrasting cases look like. 2 different types of wood veneer.

Personally I like the differences. But not sure which I like better.

I too have the same contrasting cases, the darker walnut one on top is exactly like the one on my 4140 quad integrated amp as it doesn't have the "handles at the base. The bottom one is exactly like the one on my 150 tuner and 510M amp.
I just repaired and refinished a similar WC-1U wood case that was given to me by a Marantz friend that was damaged in shipment to him. Apparently the seller shipped a 510M amp with the wood case screwed on and it just tore apart at the stress points. I re-glued/refinished it and now it looks almost as good as new.

I've seen sunlight fading, but these differences are too dramatic and too even to be that.

Come to think of it, you're right, that plate also carries the serial number. Does give one pause for thought. Getting it from a wholesale dealer (who I think got it out of a container-load of old stuff from the States, but I might be wrong about that), though, means I'm hardly supporting any possible theif, so I'm okay with that aspect. Just wish the plate were still there!

The only way to effectively match woods that differ that much is to sand them to remove all the old finish and then spray them with lacquer having a darkening toner in it, adjusted to give a colour you want. This effectively masks the wood's own colour, but still allows its grain to show while giving a homogenous look.

This is exactly how they did most of the radios in the '30s and '40s when they were in many cases using cheaper woods to save costs. The entire cabinet would be shot with toning lacquer. Ever notice how many "restored" or "refinished" old radios have a patchwork colour to the different woods in them? For some reason, either inexperience of laziness, toning lacquer is often not used.

If the units having those sleeves were close to each other, I personally believe that they would benefit greatly from being matched.

Those are both walnut, with a different cut and grain that grab the stain/finish as they want. I was hoping for one to be maple - most all our furniture is maple or birch - but every Marantz factory case I've ever seen is walnut.

I love some of the custom cases posted here.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom