Digital Bias Meters

Right now I am building a Bob Latino vta120 kit. Before I put the sockets in the front for testing bias voltage I had an idea....
On the bay there is someone that sells digital bias meters that plug into the sockets and display the bias voltage. They are sold do $80! I know from doing some mods for my car that you can buy dc voltage meters, just drill a hole and connect positive and negative wires and the voltage is displayed. The hole for these meters is the same size as the holes inthe amp chassis. My question is; would these work are bias meters? They only cost like $12 and I figure all I’d have to do is put them in and attach the bias positive and ground the other size just like you would do with a volt meter. Does this idea work? Or is there something special I am missing that the expensive meter have that the cheap ones for the car doesn’t? Of course I can’t find a pic of the expensive ones now but these are the ones I want to buy and install

Attachments

• 7779C4DD-4110-442B-B095-04453E257A3A.png
    7779C4DD-4110-442B-B095-04453E257A3A.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 48
It quite likely powers from the source it measures, so it might not read at 1.5v or whatever those bias at.

A voltmeter that has an external power source plus two leads for monitoring a voltage would get it done though. An analog meter would also likely work fine.

It quite likely powers from the source it measures, so it might not read at 1.5v or whatever those bias at.

A voltmeter that has an external power source plus two leads for monitoring a voltage would get it done though. An analog meter would also likely work fine.

That makes sense, except if it’s a meter telling you what voltage your car battery is running at, shouldn’t it be able to dip below 12v? I was thinking it probably only needs some miliamps to work.

You really need a 3 wire 9.99v meter 2 of the wires are power, and the 3rd is the sensing voltage. I blacked out the decimal point.
index.php

You really need a 3 wire 9.99v meter 2 of the wires are power, and the 3rd is the sensing voltage. I blacked out the decimal point.
index.php

The image didn’t come through.

Are there three wires connected to the socket in the inside and that’s why I need three wires? I haven’t gotten there yet in the build.

Here is a picture of the ones sold on the bay.... how do these work? They look just like the ones at the auto store

Attachments

• CB8613C8-7B3A-4D48-A08C-167051DF4392.jpeg
    CB8613C8-7B3A-4D48-A08C-167051DF4392.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 34
That makes sense, except if it’s a meter telling you what voltage your car battery is running at, shouldn’t it be able to dip below 12v? I was thinking it probably only needs some miliamps to work.

I'm sure it goes below 12v, but I doubt it runs as low as the bias voltage in a typical tube amp. If this biases like an original ST-70, thats 1.56v.

The type of meter Scott suggests would certainly do it though.

how do these work?
It uses a separate power source.

Quote from the details of that listing, italics and color added for emphasis:

"Removable when not in use , keeps octal sockets stock doesn't alter using inputs at the octal sockets .
here is a visual led bias indicator kit , it comes with a pair of digital led's and everything needed and is pre-wired for installation does have some solder points and installation of a powerpak ."

Back
Top Bottom