Digital camera advice

Doug

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
What is a decent digital camera under $200?
Which ones should I stay away from?
What extras will I need to transfer infor,mation to the computer?
I would like to post pictures of vintage equipment I see for sale at different thrift,junk,antique stores.
Doug

Ya know I just went through this one myself. I ended up with the Canon A70. its 299.00 but with a bit of shopping I think you could know another 20-30 bucks off what I paid. Its 3.2 Mega pixels and really easy to use. There is another Canon that's 199.00 but it has no zoom. Both are a true mega Pixels . Not that BS extrapolated through software crap.

I also spent the time searching and searching for the camera that suited my needs. I ended up with a Canon also. While the G3 is out I opted for the G2 as it now is a steal. It's not in your mentioned price range but I wanted to plug Canon cameras because I am very satisfied.

i would get something with an optical zoom, not a digital zoom. You shouldnt need anything else to hookup to the computer that doesnt come with the camera already ive got the consumer reports digital cameras here, and theres not much for 200. but the canon powershot A40 is 2nd on the list for 2 megapixel cameras and its listed as 250 so you could probbly get it for 200. they also have digital cameras on shopping networks quite often for under 200.

Doug as an avid photographer I have some advice regarding digital cameras. Try to buy a camera from a camera manufacturer. Canon,Nikon,Fuji,Olympus, etc., not Sony,Panasonic,Casio or the host of other electronics manufacturers who have jumped on the digicam bandwagon. Nobody knows optics better than the above mentioned camera companies. It'll be tough to find a new camera that's any good in the $200 price range. I'd save a little longer so I could spend at least $300 and purchase at least a 3 megapixel camera. Nobody is buying anything less than 3 Mp's nowadays unless it's a real bargain. Buying a Canon or Nikon etc..also gives you access to a host of lens accessories and other photo goodies. Try to get one that comes with a rechargable NiMh battery and charger. These camera's devour batteries ( even LiIon ones that cost $20 a piece) so a battery charger is a must. They sell for at least $100 seperately so it's best to find a camera that comes with it already. Storage media is becoming less critical now as the cards are getting larger and cheaper by the minute. The only media I'd avoid is the older Sony's using floppy disks.

Well good luck with your hunting. I'm sticking with my 2 Mp camera until I can afford a Fuji S2 Pro digital SLR. Now THAT"S a camera.:D

Mike

Proac is right except for the batteries part. When i got my camera Fuji Finepix 3800 i also decided to get some of those monster rechargeables they were 40 bucks and it says they can be recharged up to 1000 times. they last twice as long as the alkalines that came with my camera and you just throw em in the charger for a couple hours and theyre ready to go again. They easily last me a few hours of having the camera on with the LCD screen. There are chaper rechargeable batts out there, but these monsters are probbly worth the extra $$. I'm now awaiting my second set of batts from monster i got for free from making a testimonial video.

I bought my Canon A40 through Ritz and got a deal on a Lexar USB card reader. Bought two sets of rechargeables from Rat Shack. Although it is only 2 megapixels, it does 1600 x 1200 and you may have seen pics I've posted here, had to shrink them down to do it. I'm happy with it, still have my old Minolta SRT-101 for film but rarely use it anymore.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom