Digital displays, On or Off

JohnMichael

I wondered what others do with modern equipment with digital displays. I find there is a slight improvement with the displays turned off of my Sony XA5400ES and the Krell S-300i. There is a slight increase in delicacy and ambiance when they are off. A lack of edge might also be a good description.

I wonder if these displays will fade out of fashion one day. I know what source I have selected and how loud I am listening so much of the information is not needed. I also know what disc I have inserted in the player. I am glad I can turn the displays off.

Does anyone else hear a difference when displays are turned off? Does anyone feel they are needed?

I turn the one on my Marantz off, but just because I think displays look tacky. Reminds me of 80's "digital" ready type shit.
Never really tried to compare, but maybe I will just for fun.

I usually turn off the displays if I can simply to not have the light. Can't say I noticed a difference in sound.

Most display off switches don't do much- the display circuit is still on, the HV supply for the VFD is still on and the heater circuit is still on. Personally, I think it's all psychological. That said, I often prefer the display off too.

I keep mine on, on the Marantz. I have a nice system, but it's not so nice that I can hear a difference between the display being on or off. Higher end probably so.

Easy to test: close your eyes and have someone else turn the display off and on and see if you can guess, significantly over chance, that it is either on or off based on the sound. (Blind test). Or cover/obstruct the display in some way (curtain/cloth/etc.).

I'm pretty sure there's no reason in physics/acoustic science why that would alter the sound in any way in any level of gear. I've never heard anything of the sort at least, and I have heard pieces that cost tens of thousands with displays on or off at friend's homes (based on their own preferences and whether we are listening in low light or not) and I have several pieces myself that cost many thousands (the most I'm willing to spend on any piece of gear besides speakers).

That you perceive more delicacy, ambiance, and less edge with the display off strong suggests that you are just perceiving that (psychosomatic/perceptual bias) when it is on because it is digital and you associate digital with edge and lack of ambiance/delicacy (a coldness or harshness). Also, the ambiance part could be attributed to you focusing less on the display and more on the rest of your surroundings when it is off.

It's akin to lighting candles or starting a fire when listening to music: often the same gear all of the sudden sounds "warmer" to some who are unaware of the perceptual distortion which is caused by environmental factors and not the gear. When people remark on this, and attribute it to the gear "warming up", I say it sounds the same because I am aware of such distortions and thus more immune to them.

The same affect has been demonstrated with tube or solid state gear behind a curtain: tell the listeners it is tube gear when it is really solid state and they will talk about its warmth; tell them it is solid state gear when it is really tube gear and it will sound cold to them. Then remove the curtain, and Oz like, their illusions are shattered!

We humans have many psychological/perceptual distortions and illusions (a key one is agent/agency detection where there is none) that are hard wired in us as part of our evolutionary biology heritage since they served a purpose long ago (and still do to some extent). But they will deceive us, present untrue perceptions of the world, if we are not careful and aware of them.

Oh, and I leave my displays on. :yes:

Years ago at my job one of the CRT's was emitting this painful sound. Well painful to two women and myself. The IT guy came up and of course he could not hear it. He did not want to replace what was to him an operating CRT. We protested so he decided to have us turn our back to the desk area and he would turn it off and on to test us. We scored 100% because to us the noise was that audible. He even tried to trick us up by turning a different CRT off and on to see if we were responding to the sound of the button being pushed. He took it away and replaced it.

I have always been sensitive to electronic noise. When listening to vinyl the SACD/cd player has to be turned off along with any fluorescent lighting. My Krell S-300i to me is free of electronic hash and my other components are plugged into a unit with filtration. Some respected audio equipment and speaker cables I find unlistenable. I never liked the DQ 10's because I heard the transition between drivers.

If this is merely a component of my mind tell me how to rid myself of this aspect of my hearing. Or do I hear things differently than some of you. I think we are sensitive to different aspects of sound and for me it is electronic noise. The more noise I can remove from my system the more I enjoy the music. Less noise = more music.

Most of my current gear doesn't have an option for turning off the display.

The two exception are my Mytek DAC and my Squeezebox Touch. Both of which I dim down, especially the Mytek which can be obnoxiously bright at default settings. I don't turn the display off entirely as the info displayed is quite useful.

Only my CDP has option to turn display off.......Never heard any difference at all. I leave them on cause it looks way bitchin cool!

Something to consider:
With a lot of units, the vacuum-fluorescent display is not really 'off' when you switch off the display. For instance, I have a Sony SACD player with a 'display off' button on the remote control. In a dark room, you can still see the VFD filament is lit (it's almost always an orange-red color). My point here is that most of the purported ill effects of keeping the source's display on whilst listening are actually caused by the filament itself!
The display-off feature is more of a feature to reduce annoying-looking digital numbers in a dark room.

I'm pretty sure there's no reason in physics/acoustic science why that would alter the sound in any way in any level of gear.
One reason is potential electrical "noise" generated by the display. I remember Charles Hansen of Ayre discussing that topic. Here are his comments.

As for me, I dim the display on my SP20 preamp for aesthetic reasons.

I've never heard any difference with the display switched on or off (Pioneer PD-91 CDP),so I always leave on. Also,it looks so much nicer,plus there's the advantage of viewing all the track info etc whilst listening.

If I am listening of a late night, I prefer to have displays off/blocked as it becomes more of a distraction to the music to me. I have had some equipment with those blasted infernal eye-torching blue LED's and quite frankly hate them. Much prefer a darkened room.

As far as perceiving a difference in sound with them switched on or off, can't really say much to that. I have tried it and really can't be much bothered to actualy notice a difference in general. Tim

The Oppo BDP 105 has an mode which turns off the display.
I think it sounds better therefore it does sound better.
Better resolution and more detail.

I'm not a big fan of A-B testing.
All that reveals to me is a difference in a little slice of sound.
Much rather listen to a variety of familiar recordings over time and formulate a broader impression.

Art

My Marantz CD6004 has a mode to turn off the display.
I figure since they put it in there I might as well use it.
Don't know if it makes any difference to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom