Digital Dunce

jcmjrt

Addicted Member
I haven't kept up on the digital music haps. I recently changed my main system amp/pre/tuner after 20 years (yep, I'm a buy and keep kinda' person) and so am in the looking/thinking mode. I just purchased a MC-240 and MX-110 as I heard tube power and liked it (and MCs sound particularly great and look sexy!). I also have a 20 year old CD player. Nice during it's time and still works good but what else is out there?? Does anyone connect their computer to their stereo and just play high bit rate ripped mp3's? Is there basically just a large hard drive out there with a little computer power that's made for doing that? Just plug my ipod in and enjoy? ...or maybe the new CD players are so much better that they put high bit rate ripped MP3's to absolute shame?

jcmjrt said:
Does anyone connect their computer to their stereo?

I have been using my computer for my main source material for about three years now......

I don't, for the most part, use "high Bit Rate" mp3s..just regular Mp3s..at the usual 128kbs bit rate some higher......and some "Mp3pro" @96kbs streamed from the MusicMatch Jukebox On-Demand service......

The MP3s all by themselves sound terrible...but I use a plug-in called 'DFX' and it works wonders for MP3s... I had it at the 'AK Fest' a couple weeks ago......

Reel 2 Reel said:
I have been using my computer for my main source material for about three years now......

I don't, for the most part, use "high Bit Rate" mp3s..just regular Mp3s..at the usual 128kbs bit rate some higher......and some "Mp3pro" @96kbs streamed from the MusicMatch Jukebox On-Demand service......

The MP3s all by themselves sound terrible...but I use a plug-in called 'DFX' and it works wonders for MP3s... I had it at the 'AK Fest' a couple weeks ago......

I can tell the difference between 128kbs mp3's and high bit rate (like 224 VBR) mp3's with my in ear headphones. I don't have DFX so that might make a significant difference. I can't say that I hear significant difference with in ear headphones between high bit rate mp3's and cd's but I'm thinking that my cd player is old so that may contribute to the lack of difference and I'm also thinking that speakers would reveal more deficiencies than in ear headphones...but I don't know.

Are your computer and receiver next to each other or are you having to run a line for a ways between them?

jcmjrt said:
Does anyone connect their computer to their stereo and just play high bit rate ripped mp3's?

Been doing that for several years now. Started out with a Rat Shack "y" connector, which sounded like ass, not surprisingly. Upgraded to a $35 Griffin iMic USB DAC, which is amazingly good considering the price. Recently installed an Airport Express and can stream files from my computer to the living room system. Most of my digitized music is 256 KB AAC rips in iTunes, and does not hurt to listen to. I need to get an outboard DAC now that I upgraded from a Marantz SR-880 surround sound receiver (ca. 1999) to a Pioneer SX-980 (ca. 1978), but even using my computer's DAC for the conversion the AAC files are still surprisingly good.

When I had the Airport Express connected via an optical digital cable into the SR-880's DAC I could not tell any difference between that and using the digital out on my DVD player into the Marantz DAC. The DAC in my Rotel RCD-955AX blows them away, as I expected.

Is there basically just a large hard drive out there with a little computer power that's made for doing that? Just plug my ipod in and enjoy?

Depending upon the iPod model, that's pretty much what you have. If you need more storage space for your collection see my comments about the Airport Express. For best sound you'll need an outboard DAC for connecting the Airport Express to your preamp, unless your preamp already has a good DAC, unlike the POS DAC in my BPC SR-880. Sorry, couldn't resist.

...or maybe the new CD players are so much better that they put high bit rate ripped MP3's to absolute shame?

You have an iPod, which means you have iTunes, which means you can compress your music files in AAC format, which is far superior to MP3. 256 KB AAC files are damn near perfect copies of the original media. If you're ultra picky, buy a huge external hard drive and use Apple Lossless Format for getting stuff into iTunes. Combine that format with an Airport Express and an external DAC and you'll be impressed.

I prefer having my computer in a separate room, so I bought an IO data Linkplayer for my living room (which I mentioned in the HT section of this forum). It has a USB slot that will allow it to play directly from your newer (with USB connector) iPods. My iPod only has firewire, so I was unable to test the feature with my iPod. However, I did plug in a Maxtor external hardrive and it will play music/movies/photos directly from the USB2.0 connection. It is also networked if you prefer NAS or computer access.

You can read more about the iPod and other features on their website..It is a real steal for $250. http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2/DVDLA

Last edited:
If you're in to McIntosh and want digital media storage as well as a cd player check this out http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/...p?id=19&cat=Sources&prodid=1113&product=MS300

As far as using your computer, you will definitely notice a difference in any mp3 ripped below 160 with the equipment you are using. That being said anything ripped at 160 and up sounds pretty good depending on whether or not you have a good sound card on your computer. I use a soundblaster extigy card to play through my MA-6100. I rip at 320 kbps and it sounds pretty good (as good as digital can sound). That's the bit rate I burn albums at also with good success, it has very little sound quality loss (to my ear at least) and still sounds better than mass produced CD's. So if you're like me and can not afford the MS300 from Mac right now, just use your computer w/high bit rate mp3's and a good soundcard.

Thanks guys. Coupla' links and good info. I need to do a little looking and thinking. I'm sure that I'll have some more questions after that...

Well, I had some time so I started looking at what you had told me/links. I'm thinking that I may be able to use my computer for my main storage and then use the ipod 3G 30GB to take that music to my stereo. I know that when I hit the ipod play button music is available as analog at the headphone jacks but does the play button send a digital music signal to the pocketdock which can then be sent elsewhere via something like this http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/5222pdub.html and then via a USB or firewire line to a DAC which then provides an analog input signal to my stereo? Is DAC, digital to analog converter? If I'm correct at all about the above what DACs should I look at? If I'm all wet then please point me in the right direction again.
If I was already running airport express or had any other use for airport...like using a notebook around the house...then I'd probably look at airport for the answer but it's hard to justify that when it looks like maybe I can just use the ipod.

If all you are trying to do is get your ipod to your stereo, why not just buy one of these?

http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/2157211.html

If you want computer access, network server access (without a computer), and ipod or other USB product access, I would still say to look into the Linkplayer. It should treat your Ipod like a hard drive and give you the ability to play individual albums using your TV for the display.

If you just want to play music with the ipod over your stereo, it can be done a lot cheaper with the headphone to stereo output above. You could also pick up one of their remote controls to give you some control of the music. You will lose the ability to see the display unless you sit really close to your stereo or feed it to long RCA connectors.

Maybe I am misunderstanding exactly what you are trying to do?

Yes, I can connect an ipod with just a headphone out y connector. Sounds like that is what photobitstream did at first (he describes it as sounding like "ass") and then changed to a different set up with a DAC which he liked better. I would like to avoid creating a network in the house either wireless or wired. It would be nice to use the ipod as a "sneakernet" but I would like to get good sound out. The ipod display is fine for me.

Yes, I can connect an ipod with just a headphone out y connector. Sounds like that is what photobitstream did at first (he describes it as sounding like "ass") and then changed to a different set up with a DAC which he liked better.
From what I understand, Photobitstream was referring to his computer when using the USB connector. This makes sense because most computers are not designed for playing music. I have used an Hifi Link in the past (with a PC) and have an Echo Indigo card for my laptop.
However, the Ipod is designed to play music. The line out from your docking station should be plenty for hooking it to an outboard amp. http://www.stereophile.com//digitalsourcereviews/934/index2.html

BTW..The Linkplayer DVD player does not need to be hooked to a network. The USB2 port is on the front of the player itself.

Last edited:
Good. Sounds like a y connector and I'm in business for now. The linkplayer with a hard drive does look interesting but I'll be happy with just a connection to the ipod for now.

BTW UOF, I see that you are in Memphis, is Leonard's BBQ still there and good? I haven't been there for many years but I still remember the BBQ.

I see that you are in Memphis, is Leonard's BBQ still there and good? I haven't been there for many years but I still remember the BBQ.
Yes, Leonard's is still open. We used to go to lunch on Fridays and enjoy their buffet. We would all be too tired to get much done after that! Memphis has some great barbecue. Corkys and Rendezvous ship their ribs all over the country.

Sounds like a cheap and easy solution for your iPod!

Back
Top Bottom