Digital Has Helped Records Sound Better

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
What this thread is not, it's not a format vs. thread, it's all about making a vinyl records and the use of digital in the chain and a awareness how it's contributed and hindered the process in some cases.

Be it Computerized Instruments, Digital Recording, Digital Mixing, Digital Mastering, Digitally Remastered.
Again do not disrespect this thread with a media format VS. dead horse augments as your post will be reported and asked to be deleted.

I bring this up because of myth and what seems to be in Vogue today trying to say all analogue is better and anything with a hint of digital in the chain is a bad thing. I have been filling a record order for another member who wanted a lot of 80s music and it got me thinking again. I'v also been wanting to start a thread on how a record is produced from studio to mastering of the record because reading comments all the time people don't seem to know and or use the wrong terminology for various steps.

I had grown up in the time of the gradual switching and the progressing use of digital in the record industry. It never started out as a sales pitch that I remembered but the records started sounding better. As such, old records started to be Digitally Remastered, and where advertised that way. Guess what they sounded better at that time and still do today.

This doesn't mean all records sound better with some digital in the mix, just like not all analogue records sound good. One thing I have found with records they are all different depending on who did the work, what country they are from and on and on. But to dismiss a record because of digital used in the chain is absurd.

Recording
Without question recording digitally is far far quieter than a tape machine and the tape it's self, and can capture a larger dynamic range. A lot of the dynamics a studio digital recording captures will not even make it on to the final vinyl record because it can't handle it but it's good to have all of it to start with. At this very first step of recording the artist before anything else has been done to it, if recorded simultaneously to tape and digital, the digital copy will sound better do to dynamic rang and a low noise floor.

Production
The step that the band is working with the production engineer in the studio, recording tracks, adding effects, mixing all the sounds and tracks together to form a song. Think about this, a 16 track tape, and some of the tracks that got nailed down first might run through the machine 100s of times before the last track is complete. This is the working tape for recording and not the end result of the mixed mastered tape. When it comes to timing and overlaying track, splicing and removing odd things the mics picked up, the accuracy can not be beat when working with digital. If you think a human with a razor blade can pin prick a two second run of tape I don't know what to tell you. Anyway the artist and production engineer now have a presentable master tape but it's not done yet because it's still laced with sound you don't want on the record and needs some golden ears to get it as best as it can be.

The following is where everything starts to change and where I think people get lost and just don't understand the difference in the mastering for records and CDs/Files. That a Analogue tape or digital file recorded can be used to make an outstanding record. However I'll still give the quality of the recording to digital at this point, due to timing accuracy, dynamic range, and a low noise floor. This right here is the "Source" and the master tape/file.

Mastering Lab & Mastering Engineer

Takes the Master "Source" Tape or File and EQs it for it's respective format be it a CD or Vinyl Record.
These two formats are EQed differently from the master recording. The record mastering goes though a RIAA EQ curve for starters, and we all know that CDs and digital files tend to get boosted from fighting in the loudness wars. The mastering engineer takes the recording and fixes things like sibilance, balances out the stereo, tremble, bass until they are happy. They then rip a file to make CDs to cover that format, and that might be a different engineer doing the digital work. The master tape or file will also get mastered for a lacquer cutting lathe to make a record from. As I said this will be EQed with RIAA curve and all the othere aspects to make the final record mastering sound as good as it can. This lacquer will then go on to be used to press records.

It looks like I ended up bringing in some of the steps in making a record to talk about how awesome records sounded around 1979 and up because of digital. We are listening to some great records that where made digitally, we even think of them as reference work when we test our systems out.

The Nightfly : Donald Fagen < RL Mastering
Peter Gabriel: Security < RL Mastering
Brothers in Arms : Dire Straits <RL Mastering
Eliminator a & Afterburner : ZZ Top <RL Mastering
Genesis: Invisible Touch <RL Mastering

There is a reason these records just smack you in the face and leave you gasping for air when played loud.
Go look and see if you have Genesis: Invisible Touch mastered by Robert Ludwig, look in the dead wax for RL, play it loud and hold on to your hat and ready your self for a sensory overload.:yikes:

There is a reason that Telarc was doing all reissue digital mastering, and why we test our turntable setup with the 1812

While there was a lot of reference records prior to digital in the mix I think digital really started a wave in "Audiophile" records. But today we, some look down their nose at digital used to make a record. Well while a crapy record can be made using a MP3 file and RIAA EQed to cut the lacquer for a cheap $17 reissue. It's just not representative to what digital really contributed to the making of a record.

Last edited:
I was also going to mention, many of the records and artist I posted above really don't need to be remastered as they where done so well in the first place by Robert Ludwig as a standard issue.

Some of the biggest artist and records of the 80s where all digital and done by RL. Quiet frankly some of these artist would not have done as well with out him and digital and we would have been cheated out of screaming dynamics, IMHO

I stumbled upon records mastered by Robert Ludwig when I started playing and buying records again. My copies of Brother in Arms, Night Fly and Gaucho easily sounded better than other albums by the same artists and the common denominator is "RL" in the dead wax. While RL mastering isn't a guarantee it is a fairly reliable indicator of good sound.

Although the effects of these two cuts are quite impressive sonicly, it doesn't present a cohesive sound stage I am used to on a good quality recording. It is more like the disjointed early ping pong stereo recordings. The sounds have to blend and flow together like they enhance each other and not just up stage the previous note.

common denominator is "RL" in the dead wax. While RL mastering isn't a guarantee it is a fairly reliable indicator of good sound.
Yes I agree with RL being a master at his work, but the other common denominator is at this time he had cleaner recordings with a larger dynamic range to work with due to digital, the source is paramount to the end result.

Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" LP also used Sony Digital equipment in the recording process, and is a wonderful recording. So I say "You can have your cake and eat it too"!

BTW, there was lots of records digitally recorded & mastered or remastered that sound awesome. It just so happened some of the titles I mentioned where mastered by RL

Although the effects of these two cuts are quite impressive sonicly, it doesn't present a cohesive sound stage I am used to on a good quality recording. It is more like the disjointed early ping pong stereo recordings. The sounds have to blend and flow together like they enhance each other and not just up stage the previous note.
The vids are just something I grabbed from Youtube, most likely a digital file someone uploaded. It has nothing to do with how the records sound really, it might be more appropriate if I found someone recording their record.

Thats a grand post,what I cannot do with is the this is better than that brigade.Whatever means are used to make music better is fine in my book.

Yes I agree with RL being a master at his work, but the other common denominator is at this time he had cleaner recordings with a larger dynamic range to work with due to digital, the source is paramount to the end result.

BTW, there was lots of records digitally recorded & mastered or remastered that sound awesome. It just so happened some of the titles I mentioned where mastered by RL

I'll have to take your word about the benefits of starting with a digital recording as I simply don't have the technical foundation but I agree every link in the chain impacts the final product. Do you know if Gaucho was a digital recording? Besides RL mastered records I enjoy the Analogue Productions/Quality Record Pressing records I've recently purchased.

Thats a grand post,what I cannot do with is the this is better than that brigade.
Yeah and that's not what I'm trying to do, in fact counter act that mentality, but better is better in some instances. I like records that are all analogue also, take Folk Singer by Muddy Waters, has a huge dynamic swing. However if you have a good system and a high quality record of it, that's remastered all analogue you hear tape hiss all the way though it from the master tape. The only way to get rid of it is EQing out that frequency. but that takes music with it. Just think how much better this record would have been if digital recording was around at that time.

Do you know if Gaucho was a digital recording?
I don't know, the recordings of records and what they used in the studios is not all that promoted back then. The record came out in 1980 and we know it takes time for studios worldwide to start updating to different equipment. I know Masterdisc was setup to master digitally then and most likely mastered that way.

Watching with interest for many reasons....

I've had vinyl transfers released commercially. I've done transfers for some pretty well known bands and band members because they weren't happy with the released CD's. One thing I want to note here (even if people will disagree), it's still all about the sound, not the specs. I've see some of my transfers get reviews such as 'we're so glad they used the original master tapes for this cd' - when the reality was it came from a 40 year old record.

That said, I've done thousands of transfers now. There are good pressings and bad pressings. There are good setups and bad ones. Everything in the path of the audio is 'colored' by something. All of this must be considered. Note here as well, that a bad pressing can make a great mastering job sound horrible too.

When you digitally remove the vinyl noise (which some say is 'wrong' for a transfer - I beg to differ), you gain that true analog sound along with the silence of digital. It's a warmer sound to most.

Now here's the irony: I've done this with the newer digital pressings too, and they just don't have that 'warmth' or 'snap' to them that the old analog does. There are exceptions, of course, but that's what I GENERALLY find anyway.

That all said, I think there is a 'middle ground' here, where both analog and digital have good and bad points. Exactly what and where is up to the engineer I guess.

While Muddy Waters Folk Singer would have less hiss with digital recording, I don't think it would be necessarily 'better'. The digital process can bring the technical level of recording to up to a certain threshold, but many artists would not want their work changed to make it better. For some, digital mastering can sound sterile, cold and soul less.

Technical flaws are part of the art, they are what the artist approved upon release. A good mastering engineer will respect that.

I've had vinyl transfers released commercially. I've done transfers for some pretty well known bands and band members because they weren't happy with the released CD's. One thing I want to note here (even if people will disagree), it's still all about the sound, not the specs. I've see some of my transfers get reviews such as 'we're so glad they used the original master tapes for this cd' - when the reality was it came from a 40 year old record.

I can agree here, I'v recorded very nice records to 24bit WAV and they sound just like the record. However the mastering is different than the CD or files and I think it sound more balanced. This comes down to the preference of the RIAA mastering over the digital mastering.

Back
Top Bottom