Digital Music. Direction and advise wanted.

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Sound Dragon, May 18, 2017.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I have tried it and it is like anything else, you just have to get used to it. A one finger/one time perusal is really hard judge anything. My current music collection is to large for Roon already :D

2. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yea, my collection is minuscule, 64,594 files, 2.7T on the drive I am using.

3. botrytis

:D I talked to the ROON people at AXPONA they do say that it is an issue.

4. olson_jr

Has not been an issue yet. First time it sees your files it does take a while to analyze them but I have no issues accessing them or the TIDAL stuff I have marked as favorites.

5. botrytis

Jest telling you what they told me. I also heard the same from DCS technical people who were at AXPONA.

6. olson_jr

7. botrytis

8. Sound Dragon

Sound Dragon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Are the Roon folks addressing the library size issue? From what little I have read about it, they are saying the issue is with apple.

9. Sound Dragon

Also, I feel like buying a "lifetime" license for Roon is a gamble. If the company folds you are left with no support and no updates. I gues the real gamble is will they be around In 5 years so at least get your monies worth.

10. botrytis

It is both really. Also there have been reports of USB DAC issues with the most recent version of their OS.

11. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I'm sure Roon will sort things out. That is what they get the big bucks for. However the lifetime subscription would be out for me unless it was much less expensive, maybe something like the JRiver license where you own the software license. But that isn't the new model that every software company wants for us. Now they all want us to pay every year or every month for the use of their software, but there is often a huge hidden hook in that. Stop paying and all you have done with the software, all the work you put into it suddenly is gone too. And it might not even be that you stop paying the subscription, but that they went broke themselves, or something new came along and they are obsolete by the new wave. That is why I dislike subscriptions of any type. However I do wish them well..

KrisM and ldatlof like this.
  12. Sound Dragon

Who? Apple or Roon?

13. ldatlof

ldatlof We are all steak

Free and open source software has been working great for me.

14. botrytis

Apple has been having issues.

Foobar is just a kludgey piece of software. It also sounds like it has been hacked together.

15. Sound Dragon

Well I finally got around to ordering the MacBook Parts for the MBP upgrade. New 525GB SSD for OS and Software. a 4TB G-Raid Drive for library storage. A good new Firewire 800 cable oh and 8GB of RAM. Looking into USB Filtration and am considering either the iFi Purifier or the AQ Jitterbug. I think Schiit has one also but I have to read up on it. Would have had all this done already but I am doing a few projects at once and it is slowing me down a bit.

The MBP will be pulling strictly Audio Duty as it was retired from laptop duties a while ago. I was originally wanting to do a Mac Mini for this set up, but I figured why go through the added expense when I have this old MBP just sitting around. I probably didn't need to go all crazy with the added RAM and SSD but I figured it couldn't hurt. Should be interesting to see how much improvement it will have with these new parts.

Still haven't decided on what library streaming Device to go with but for now the top contenders remain the same. Either the ELAC Discovery Series DS‑S101‑G with a lifetime ROON license or the Sony HAP Z1 ES. The Aurilac is out for now. I just can't get over how it looks. The Sony is my favorite and will most likely be my choice. I have been stalling on buying one for a while now. At this rate Sony will release a new product before I get one. Neither device is open enough where it will support all streaming services which means that the MBP would remain in the system regardless of which one I end up with.

16. MikeT.

MikeT. Displaced Irish Cajun Subscriber

I think you would be hard pressed to find anything negative on the Sony HAP Z1 ES. However, I took the plunge recently with a Mac Mini and Roon. Roon converts to DSD on the fly which is what I wanted to experiment with. I did not go with the lifetime Roon license. I thought it better to take a chance for a year and see if I like it. So far, very nice. I'm streaming Tidal from Mac Mini USB to my Wyred4Sound DAC-1LE and it converts everything to DSD 128 on the fly. I'm really impressed, again, so far. I'm still learning and setting up Roon, Mac and developing my CD library ripped to the Mini.

17. botrytis

You can do the exact same with JRiver also, as long as your DAC can do it. The same can be said for Daphile, which is free. Not as pretty as Roon but it costs a lot less.

MikeT. and ldatlof like this.
  18. MikeT.

MikeT. Displaced Irish Cajun Subscriber

I have an older version of JRiver which I used for a while and found it really complicated (for me :dunno:). Granted it was probably over a year ago, maybe longer. I wasn't even half as knowledgeable about computer audio as I am now and even that improvement is "thin". I didn't even consider JRiver based on my initial experience which might have been a mistake.

I am just beginning to load my CD library onto computer. Hopefully, if I change my mind about Roon, I'll still be able to marry the digital library with new software. Roon is not as user friendly as it appears on the surface but I've heard a lot of good things about it from others using it. Some of these same people are using HQPlayer in addition to Roon. I am so far from understanding why, I thought I should start with Roon :music:

19. Sound Dragon

I had a mac Mini set up before with my previous system and loved that I could run it head less. At that time I was running my music through iTunes and loved that it all fit together. Once I heard another system do digital music better it made me begin to chase higher fidelity playback. I Sold off my Mac Mini set up and chased better playback for a while until life got in the way and forced me to give up having a system for a while. By that time I was tired of the whole audiophile thing. this time around, I want to just enjoy the music. That being said, I cannot go back to mp3 grade files at low rez and be satisfied either. I guess I just need to find a happy medium. I went with the MBP because i had it already just sitting collecting dust.

As for what software to go with. It is between Roon Labs and Pure Music at the moment. Though J river looks good too and is almost half the price of the other two. With Pure Music, I will still be in the iTunes sphere of influence as it appears to work with or in iTunes? Still reading up on this but I may just go ahead and test it once the MBP is upgraded. Roon looks like it is its own thing with its own ecosystem which is very attractive to me. Both appear to offer remote control and app based control which I do like.Pure Music uses the existing apple remote app which may be more house hold friendly. In fact a big plus for Pure is the fact that it appears to give me the best of both worlds regarding WAF and a household friendly interface. I think at this point that I will take a small sample of tunes and play with both. That is what trials are all about right?

20. Sound Dragon

Guess who can't find his Restore Disk for OS X! If you guessed this Dragon.........Get yourself a cookie of your liking! So for those following along, be sure to have a restore disk BEFORE swapping out the hard drive! But of course you knew that already.