Digital only play list:

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck
Music for Harpsichord - Fantasia Cromatica, Echo Fantasia

Glen Wilson: harpsichord
2009 Naxos

From the back cover of this CD I learned that Sweelinck was referred to as the "Orpheus of Amsterdam." Fans of late Renaissance and Baroque keyboard music have probably heard of him before.

rsz_p3021241.jpg

I was hoping you'd say that. :banana:

Well sure! And it's nice to have a proper name for the thread! :thmbsp:

Hope I'll get in the new Radiohead soon. :)

I'm eager to hear it too, wonder how good it is.

I ordered it too. I'm not a huge RH fan (I kind of ignored them for the most part until recently), but I'm getting all the rest of their discography so I had to order the new one too of course.

Just finished:

Glass Tiger - The Thin Red Line

TheThinRedLine.jpg

Now:

Glass Tiger - Diamond Sun

DiamondSun.jpg

I was pretty impressed with The Thin Red Line when I got it awhile back; I've known the single Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone) since I was a kid so I decided to just get the whole album and surprise! they aren't just one-hit-wonders imo.

So, being the completist I am, I recently got their other two albums. So far the second, Diamond Sun, isn't bad either, though not as good as Red Line.

Good synth pop/rock Canadian band. :music:

I'm eager to hear it too, wonder how good it is. Are Stars of The Lid still making albums? Last time I listened to them was quite a while ago.
Not that I know, last one is from 2007 (Stars of the Lid and Their Refinement of the Decline) afain. Wouldn't mind a new one. :)

Radiohead - Kid A
:thmbsp: Put it up too, directly after posting about The King Of Limbs.

Love the current single from the new album; Lotus Flower;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8

Back on topic;
Playing at the moment;
The Naked And Famous - Young Blood (Just the single)

Radiohead - Kid A

Radiohead+-+Kid+A.jpg

This is my favorite RH album. Like most other people (I think), I got into them around the time OK Computer came out, which kind of took everybody by surprise. Kid A, on the other hand, was more controversial, but for me it was such a big deal at the time of its release because there was so little popular music that had successfully incorporated the more advanced styles of electronic music - and here I'm referring specifically to the UK duo Autechre, of whom Thom Yorke is a confessed fan. There are actually parts of certain songs on Kid A that are practically lifted right out of a late 90s Autechre ep. But I don't hold it against Yorke, he just has great taste! :)

Anyway, for months prior to the release of Kid A I'd been listening to live recordings in which RH played early versions of songs that would end up on Kid A. I was obsessed with a live version of "How To Disappear Completely and Never Be Found," and although the album version is good, I felt like it lost a lot of the intensity of the stripped down live version.

I felt the same way about the song "Nude" on In Rainbows when it came out a couple years ago (or whenever that was). The album version is ok, but IMO doesn't hold a candle to the gut-wrenching live versions they'd been playing for many, many years before that album was released. To be more specific, earlier live versions of "Nude" featured an intense climax, whereas the album version just sort of withers up and ends quietly.

Sigur Ros
Agaetis Byrjun

1999 Fat Cat

I'm sure many of you are familiar with this album. Even though I don't know what he's saying, the song "Hjartad hamast" gives me a hell of a rush every time I hear it.

rsz_p3221567.jpg

Anton Webern
Passacaglia - Symphony - Five Pieces

Ulster Orchestra
Takuo Yuasa
2001 Naxos

Speaking of minimal music again, Webern is quickly becoming one of my favorite composers as I explore his music and realize how influential it was to future musicians tackling the aforementioned genre.

rsz_p2241141.jpg

:thmbsp: Put it up too, directly after posting about The King Of Limbs.

Love the current single from the new album; Lotus Flower;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8

That's about my second listen to that album!

I like that song too, but haven't listened to it much (I'm waiting until I get the "proper" cd lossless rip to really listen to it like I do with all new-to-me music). That video kind of disturbs me though lol.

This is my favorite RH album. Like most other people (I think), I got into them around the time OK Computer came out, which kind of took everybody by surprise. Kid A, on the other hand, was more controversial, but for me it was such a big deal at the time of its release because there was so little popular music that had successfully incorporated the more advanced styles of electronic music - and here I'm referring specifically to the UK duo Autechre, of whom Thom Yorke is a confessed fan. There are actually parts of certain songs on Kid A that are practically lifted right out of a late 90s Autechre ep. But I don't hold it against Yorke, he just has great taste! :)

Anyway, for months prior to the release of Kid A I'd been listening to live recordings in which RH played early versions of songs that would end up on Kid A. I was obsessed with a live version of "How To Disappear Completely and Never Be Found," and although the album version is good, I felt like it lost a lot of the intensity of the stripped down live version.

I felt the same way about the song "Nude" on In Rainbows when it came out a couple years ago (or whenever that was). The album version is ok, but IMO doesn't hold a candle to the gut-wrenching live versions they'd been playing for many, many years before that album was released. To be more specific, earlier live versions of "Nude" featured an intense climax, whereas the album version just sort of withers up and ends quietly.

Being in high school from '91 to '95 I heard RH when Pablo Honey and The Bends were all the rage. At that time I was mostly into classic rock (hell, I still am) and more "rockier" grunge/alt. bands, and wasn't ready for RH, or, more exactly, just didn't have the time/budget/inclination to explore a lot of music I wasn't highly interested in (only in the last few years have I had the time/inclination to do so really...as well as a decent set up in order to appreciate a broader range of music, even if I've listened to many genres since my mid 20's).

Anyway, I've heard RH's output through various friends up to Hail to the Thief, but I never owned a RH album or sat down and really listened to one until a couple of years ago. I still haven't heard all of their post 2000's music, and I've actually been slowly going in order of their albums (starting a month or two ago lol) since I have them all now. Just to get an idea of their sound progression.

So far I like OK Computer the best, but that may change in a month or two with more listening of the albums I haven't listened to more than a couple of times, or those only semi-heard in the background, or with ones I haven't even heard yet! (In Rainbows and the new one).

Those two songs you mention stuck out to me as well (just studio), even if I haven't heard all of In Rainbows (I've heard Nude somewhere a few times). I might have to check out some live RH sometime as well.

PS: You seem to be into ambient music which is something I haven't gotten into (unless you count some prog rock or 80's synth lol). I can see how you'd love RH for that aspect of their sound.

Genesis - Invisible Touch

InvisibleTouch86.jpg

This might be my favorite Genesis. (Sorry Phil Collins haters, and I understand! :D).

Back
Top Bottom