DIN Phono cable question.

Metalownz

Audiophile? Getting there
Are all these 5 pin cables one size fits all? Im talking the female connectors.

Attachments

• 1FC61B2E-A6A2-4AF8-96D7-2CA1F80CCCA5.png
    1FC61B2E-A6A2-4AF8-96D7-2CA1F80CCCA5.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 85
Uhm, but that's not a 5-pin DIN, but a 5-pin JIS "coupling" (over here we use the word Kupplung for a female plug)...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Uhm, but that's not a 5-pin DIN, but a 5-pin JIS "coupling" (over here we use the word Kupplung for a female plug)...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
So are all 5-pin JIS coupling cables the same size?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
I should say are all the pin holes the same size and width?

Mo: Yup - or at least they should be. ;) But did you already confirm that the arm you'd like to cennect it to actually sports a 5-pin male JIS jack?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mo: Yup - or at least they should be. ;) But did you already confirm that the arm you'd like to cennect it to actually sports a 5-pin male JIS jack?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Yes. Its my Pioneer PL-7E. The reason for my question is i ordered a new JIS cord for it because the original is 53 years old. Just wanted to update the RCA jacks. And that cord goes right from the arm to the amp. I just wanted to make sure that all JIS jacks were interchangable.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
The arm has the 5 male pin at the end of the arm, same pattern as the female cable i ordered. I was just hoping the pins wouldnt be too thick, thin, or too far apart.

What got me wondering was this thread. Guy bought a JIS (He also called it a DIN in his thread) and the pins were too long for the jack he bought.

Attachments

• 42DFA097-B974-4512-9F3C-E38E4F27390D.png
    42DFA097-B974-4512-9F3C-E38E4F27390D.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 17
That connector is also called a DIN.

Yes, it is - but unfortunately so, because in fact it's neither DIN, nor Mini-DIN.

Which isn't really a wonder, because this is not a German DIN, but a Japanese JIS connector (at least as far as I'm aware). In any case that typical tonearm connector is designed for smaller pins than regular DIN, and the diameter of the circle the pins are arranged on is also a bit smaller compared to regular DIN - and neither would it be compatible to Mini-DIN.

So I'd think people should better not refer to these connectors as DIN connectors, because it's not only wrong, but also misleading and not unlikely to cause misunderstandings - especially over here, where one can still find many older turntables with a true DIN output plug, according to the DIN 41524 industrial standard.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Well, that was all in vain. I purchased the cable and the pin holes were too small. I fear the only female RCA tonearm cable that will fit is one from a Pioneer PL-41. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Here are the two side by side. The right side being the OEM cable.

Attachments

• AF285D6F-9414-49B5-91C9-44593B29354D.jpeg
    AF285D6F-9414-49B5-91C9-44593B29354D.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 35
Far as I'm aware there's the regular sized 5 pin DIN and a mini DIN. To confuse matters some of the old turntable arms used a proprietary connector. The Fidelity Research FR-24 used a 4 pin DIN cable.

Mo: Could you determine the size of the pin-holes and the diameter of the circle these are arranged on? Maybe you're lucky and could use at least the connector insert of a DIN 45322 5-pin plug (alias 5-pin, 240° - like for example Hirschmann MAS50UM (unlike Hirschmann MAS50S, which would be our standard DIN 41524 5-pin, 180° type)), which would have 1.5 mm pins arranged on a 7 mm circle.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Last edited:
Mo: Could you determine the size of the pin-holes and the diameter of the circle these are arranged on? Maybe you're lucky and could use at least the connector insert of a DIN 45322 5-pin plug (alias 5-pin, 240° - like for example Hirschmann MAS50UM (unlike Hirschmann MAS50S, which would be our standard DIN 41524 5-pin, 180° type)), which would have 1.5 mm pins arranged on a 7 mm circle.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Sadly i dont think its any you mentioned here. It may be proprietary like mentioned above.

Far as I'm aware there's the regular sized 5 pin DIN and a mini DIN. To confuse matters some of the old turntable arms used a proprietary connector. The Fidelity Research FR-24 used a 4 pin DIN cable.
I think thats the case with this tonearm cable. Ive searched high and low and never saw the pin holes of the one this size.

I think thats the case with this tonearm cable. Ive searched high and low and never saw the pin holes of the one this size.

You'll have fun there. The Fidelity Research FR-24 tonearm cables go for silly prices separately. No one makes them. Hopefully it's not the same with your arm. Which arm is it you're looking for the cable for by the way?

You'll have fun there. The Fidelity Research FR-24 tonearm cables go for silly prices separately. No one makes them. Hopefully it's not the same with your arm. Which arm is it you're looking for the cable for by the way?
Its for a Pioneer PL-7E. It takes the same size phono cable as a Pioneer PL-41. Nobody ever determined that size cable on AK.

I think your best bet would be to strip down the existing and rewire with either Litz copper or Dueland copper wire, shield and fit some decent RCA's. There are YouTube guides.....

I don't think you'll find anything pre-made will work with this. Alternatively you could remove the DIN connector altogether and rewire the tonearm with a Litz wire right through to the RCA connectors. Should see a nice improvement doing that.

I've never done it, though if you get in over your head there are people can do the work for you :)

If the table sounds as nice as it looks I daresay it's worth the effort ;)

Back
Top Bottom