Dipping my toes into headphones and am looking for advice (Updated!)

While you figure out which headphone amp you want on down the road, that Magni 2 Uber is a fantastic value that will drive just about any reasonable headphone. It will drive the T50RP and 600/650 just fine.

While you figure out which headphone amp you want on down the road, that Magni 2 Uber is a fantastic value that will drive just about any reasonable headphone. It will drive the T50RP and 600/650 just fine.

Been thinking about SS vs tube for this part of my setup. Since the Dynaco is tube, would adding a tube headphone amp further color the sound or no? Would a SS headphone amp give me the tube-ness of the pre with the power of the SS amp?

Everything colors the sound. If I have a choice, I’ll always take ss pre/tube power amp over the tube pre/ss power option.

At this point and at this end of the price spectrum, I'd be more concerned about getting the right headphone for you and then ensuring you are driving it adequately and I'd worry about the pros and cons of tube headphone amps later.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Magni-2-Uber-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00SCBX6FA

This is probably the best headphone amp for the money right now. They're clearing out old models, and the supply and price will not last.

I highly recommend planar headphones. Big fan of Fostex t50rp, and monoprice monolith m560. Both will be nearly impossible to drive with portable devices unless they're specialized devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...8&qid=1508965901&sr=1-1&keywords=fostex+t50rp

Another great deal, you're basically getting the Fiio for free. But that Fiio is probably not powerful enough for the headphones they're being bundled with.

Just realized you're looking for tube gear. Planars are a great match for tube since they like high current. I have a hybrid tube amp that I do enjoy, the Little dot i+.

I'm very happy with my M560's driven by a Little Dot MKII (upgraded tubes).

Ive owned or heard about 90% of the headphones mentioned in this thread and IMHO you'd be hard pressed to top the K240 sextetts,esp. for the type of music you enjoy.I own 3 pair,one of each production phase and highly recommend the MP or EP version.The LP is too bass light for me,and i like a lot of what you do.

The downside to them is theyre a hard HP to drive.The previously mentioned Magni does not do them justice.The best way to drive them is straight out of a vintage receiver HP jack,or a powerful OTL.

Senn. 598's or Philips X2/27 Fidelio's for great all around listening. My choice would be the Fidelio's. No amp needed but may or may not sound better with one. For sound very close to the Fidelio I suggest the Philips SHP9500 for around $68.00. Both the Philips have the advantage of a detachable cord. I run mine with a very small (less than a stick of gum) Mactron WM4U BT amp inserted in the jack port. Very hard for me to tell the difference between that and wired.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY recommend trying out a set of 1More Triple Driver ear buds. You should be able to get them for less than $100 USD. IMO you'd be challenged to find a noticeably better pair of headphones for double or maybe even triple that price. I've had a pair now for almost 2 months and I'm hugely impressed with them.

Hey gang,

So after looking online, I was able to track down a pair of Sextetts for a decent price (I think). Waiting for them to arrive but they look to be in good shape and the LP incarnation from what I can tell.

Now, not being a DIYer and preferring to have someone with more experience and knowledge than me work on my audio gear, I'm hoping for some help and/or guidance. I'd love to get these Sextetts up to their full potential. Pads and elastics seem obvious. But I want to make sure everything else is a-okay and maybe a recabling.

So, does anyone here work on these things OR know someone/some place that does?

Thanks in advance!

Looking at the picture's online it looks like they are held together by screws so may not be too hard to work on.
But it may be worth dropping AKG a email to see if they do a refurb service

Um, if I"m not mistaken, the AKG sextetts are 600ohm. Which means they were originally meant to be used in studio head amps that link multiples of them together to lower impedance. Which means a single headphone is going to be ridiculously difficult to drive. At the minimum you'll probably need something that outputs well over 1wpc at 32ohm.

Um, if I"m not mistaken, the AKG sextetts are 600ohm. Which means they were originally meant to be used in studio head amps that link multiples of them together to lower impedance. Which means a single headphone is going to be ridiculously difficult to drive. At the minimum you'll probably need something that outputs well over 1wpc at 32ohm.

I'll be driving them with the Schiit Valhalla 2 which I think should be enough.

Considering the small price diff, would it be prudent to just go with a Magni 3, which is the newest entry model?

I have a La Figaro 339 and even with my "bright" tubes i think tubes make the sextetts too warm...just my .02
The best synergy is from HP jack of a Sansui 881...mids to die for.

Back
Top Bottom