Direct Drive TT- trouble spinning (Garrard DD130-1)

CarpetDoctor

Howdy- picked up this used turntable and found this issue (see video).

Haven't been able to find a service manual or comparable turntable model tutorial- is this video adequate for diagnosing what might be wrong with this thing.

Turntable repair amateur here.
Thank you!

Put the platter on it. DD motors need the platter installed to spin correctly.

Put the platter on it. DD motors need the platter installed to spin correctly.

+1 exactly what I was going to say. There's usually a magnetic strip or optical marking's or something on the underside of the platter and these are required for speed calculation.

That motor looks like the Matsushita one used in my DD75 and various early japanese efforts. But yes, try it with the platter on.

Probably dried out caps in the FG circuit or try cleaning / calibrating the pitch control (if one is fitted). There could be caps in the pitch adjustment circuit which also need replacing

I had an Akai DD that would not adjust speed down enough using the pitch control, even after it was cleaned / calibrated. I had to replace several small capacitors in that circuit and then it was fine

I also had a Technics DD with runaway speed problems. That one required capacitors replacing in the frequency generator (FG) circuit.

I checked the SM for the DD75 and it states there are two motor speed trimmers directly on the motor itself - one trimmer for each speed. You should set the pitch control at mid point (after giving it a good clean) and then use the appropriate trimmer to adjust speed. According to the manual, if the motor speed will not adjust sufficiently then you have to replace the motor.....

Back
Top Bottom