Dirtball Audiophile

lotusstp

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
New here to AK; used to sell Stereo Equipment in the mid-eighties (Sound Chamber & Lechmere); sold plenty HK, Sansui, Carver, Onkyo, Yamaha, JVC, Pioneer, Technics, Vector Research, Sherwood, Phillips, Sony, Nec, Fisher (yuck!!), Ortofon, Grado, Advent (Esmark), JBL, NHT, Boston Acoustics, Genesis, DCM, Design Acoustics, Infinity and other sundry speakers. Oh, and Bose.

I'm getting back into collecting audio gear, finally scored an Advent Model 300 receiver which I will be restoring to add to my JBL L82's, Mini Advents (outdoor speakers with subwoofers) and (refoamed) Large Advents. My current collection of working receivers include an Onkyo TX-80 and a TX-18. I've added a Rotel RA-412 recently and will be acquiring a Marantz 1090 integrated amp. 140 power amp and 2100 tuner.

Phew... after all these years it's fun getting back into audio... hope I can make a contribution to the forums!

Last edited:
Well then come on in and have fun time getting back into the swing of things...
Welcome aboard...

Bill

You MUST do penance for unleashing that horrible, awful "B" stuff on an unsuspecting public.. <grin> Seriously, great t'have ya here !!

Dirtball Audiophile? You'll fit right in. Welcome!
Seconded!

The Advent 300 is a great receiver. I had a nice clean one for years. One day when I was moving I left it on my porch for five minutes while I loaded up a box inside. You can guess what happened :tears:

Ironically, I was one of the top Bose salespersons @ Lechmere. My secret? I was honest... i never touted them over other speakers. People who buy Bose are people who buy Bose, plain & simple. Especially the AM-5 and their successors. I used to tell customers that they had a high "S.A.F." Spousal Acceptance Factor. If they weren't concerned about the size of the loudspeaker, i'd point them in the direction of Advent, JBL, Infiinty etc.

Whenever we'd go to a Bose dog and pony show, I'd cringe... esp. when they'd stage an A/B comparison with the A-M5's concealed in a faked up speaker cabinet. They'd whisk away the curtain to show the AM-5's, as if it was some big "ah-hah!" type of a reveal.

I much preferred the (Esmark era) Advent, Infinity, NHT and Design Acoustic speakers we sold at the time. My favorites, though, were the Genesis speakers I sold @ the Sound Chamber. And of course, when I met my future wife I was pleased she owned a pair of Cizek's; I had modified my Lafayette Criterion 333's with Peerless drivers in an attempt to make a Cizek "clone."

Back
Top Bottom