Dirty little eBay trick

That's why I sell with a buy it now price. This is the amount I want. That's it. No bidding. I check completed listing to see what an item sold for in similar condition and put my price at a little lower than the going rate. I have no problems that way.

Poetic justice would be if the seller was renting property from the OP's family.
:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Reminds me of a funny scene.
In the last Superman movie it shows Clark Kent mother losing the farm. At the end of the movie he and Bruce Wayne are standing on the farm.
Sup: "I can't thank you enough for what you did.......how did you get the house back from the bank?
Bruce: "I bought the bank"

It would be ironic indeed. Lol.

If the seller confident he can sell it for $2000 then it would be no brainier for him to choose between banned by EBay or $2000 extra

Or maybe he's been reading the multiple threads on AK that complain about eBay always siding with the buyer and really did break it, and really is having it repaired, and really is going to relist it with an updated description to protect himself from any "not as described" nonsense later on.

Suing? I hope that's tongue in cheek. No one has incurred a loss here - except, possibly, the seller.

This reminds me of when I bought my 2600 on ebay except mine was close enough to pick up. My auction was ending on Super Sunday at 7:30 in the morning so I figured no one would be tracking. I threw in a bid and won for $2000 under market price. I picked up that same day. It was mint with a nice custom wood case. The guy was pissed and of course I felt like a thief because he was pissed AND he was a stand up guy who made good on his deal. If he was a weasel like the OP's seller, I wouldn't have lost any sleep about taking his 2600.

Its back. It's for sale again on eBay by a different eBay account. I sent an email to the new seller explaining the history of his Marantz 2600, and advised him that he should include the history of the Marantz 2600 in his eBay description.The sellar emailed me back and acknowledged to me that he was aware that it had been dropped and damaged, and said that it had been repaired. I emailed him back and suggested that he should include the replaced parts and the damage in his eBay description. He advised me to stay out of it.
So potential Marantz 2600 buyers beware

Its back. It's for sale again on eBay by a different eBay account. I sent an email to the new seller explaining the history of his Marantz 2600, and advised him that he should include the history of the Marantz 2600 in his eBay description.The sellar emailed me back and acknowledged to me that he was aware that it had been dropped and damaged, and said that it had been repaired. I emailed him back and suggested that he should include the replaced parts and the damage in his eBay description. He advised me to stay out of it.

Well, it really is none of your business, unless you are attempting to buy it.

We should all contact the "new" seller asking if it is the damaged one. Roaches and politicians hate the light. Scammy eBay sellers probably do, too.

Was it dropped or was it tripped over?

If the new seller really is a different person, who isn't colluding with the original seller, then he is still sleazy for not fully disclosing what he knows.

People want to know if the used car they're buying has been wrecked and know one thinks they're wrong for it.

Last edited:
I really don't see how this is anybody's business and I suspect the story about tripping over the receiver was bogus anyway.

Whatever the case, it's up to the buyer to assess whether the unit was accurately represented upon delivery. Haven't we better things to do than to assume the role of eBay police in search of a crime that never occurred?

Last edited:
Well, it really is none of your business, unless you are attempting to buy it.
I'm simply bringing information to the attention of potential Marantz 2600 buyers so that they can ask questions and make their own decisions. Whenever I'm shopping for a used receiver that has been worked on, I always ask for a detailed list of parts and work that was performed

Same seller, different ID
This is from the listing
"Up for auction is a really nice Marantz 2600 unit. I've owned this for the last 6 years"

It's eBay item number 183735848131.

I agree this guy is a seasoned campaigner on eBay and probably uses whatever means he can to get what he wants.

The point of using legal action against him would definitely work as many cases of the the same methods used have ended up in court and generally always have an outcome in the buyers favour. The point is at $4500 the legal costs would far outweigh the bargain.

But if you're a principles type of person and money is of no object I'm sure you'd have a lot of fun with this seller.

Last edited:
I was thinking same seller, new name.
I guess I just don't understand the way some folks do business.
I saw one seller who said he had 8 (or 9) seller names on ebay.
What is the purpose for that?

I purchased a pair of speakers for WAY LESS than the going rate a few years ago.
Ridiculous low BIN.
Seller contacted me and said he was cancelling the listing, said he meant the low BIN to be the starting bid in an auction.
I believed him.
Could have left him bad feedback but I had no reason to not believe he had simply made a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom