Dirty little eBay trick

This is the exact same seller but he's using a different ID. He's admitted it to me and boy did he unleash a tirade of foul language. FU's and AH's, etc etc.

This is certainly a bullet the OP has dodged as I wouldn't buy anything from him.

Damn that's a lot of money. PS: I advise watching silently.

Did this one really sell for $16K? I'm in the wrong business.

Works. Powers up and plays sweet audio. Should be inspected and recapped by tech. No returns. As is. FedEx will pack.

So many reasons right there why I wouldn't pay $16K for that.

Apologies for waylaying the thread a bit. This is new to me.

Damn that's a lot of money. PS: I advise watching silently.

Did this one really sell for $16K? I'm in the wrong business.

So many reasons right there why I wouldn't pay $16K for that.

Apologies for waylaying the thread a bit. This is new to me.

Unless I see the money change hands, I'm highly skeptical about that sale "result".

Put in negative feedback. State item. State that seller did not honor the sale and cancelled the order.

And on a side note, several moons ago I bought a 2600 which ended very early Sunday morning. That's the worst possible time to end an auction. The price was cheap compared to the market and it was local pickup. Lucky for me, the guy honored the sale. I could tell he was pissed but he was professional and I did not let on.

Unless I see the money change hands, I'm highly skeptical about that sale "result".

Right? But if it's 'SOLD' per eBay doesn't that mean eBay got its cut?

Which in this case is itself enough to buy a nice vintage receiver.

Right? But if it's 'SOLD' per eBay doesn't that mean eBay got its cut?

Which in this case is itself enough to buy a nice vintage receiver.

IF the sale really went through, then yes; no if not.

Of course, simply appearing in the sold column doesn't necessarily mean it was sold. A lot of so-called "sold" deals fall through but that doesn't stop the listing from appearing as a successful sale.

That's why I sell with a buy it now price. This is the amount I want. That's it. No bidding. I check completed listing to see what an item sold for in similar condition and put my price at a little lower than the going rate. I have no problems that way.
Yep and that's how I like to buy. :)

IF the sale really went through, then yes; no if not.

Of course, simply appearing in the sold column doesn't necessarily mean it was sold. A lot of so-called "sold" deals fall through but that doesn't stop the listing from appearing as a successful sale.
OK, I thought that distinguished between "SOLD" and "Completed" ..
So this is probably a deal where the buyer welched.
Seller doesn't seem to have re-listed yet FWIW

It's eBay item number 183735848131 if anyone wants to give him a little grief, which he indeed deserves.

I agree this guy is a seasoned campaigner on eBay and uses whatever means he can to get what he wants.

The point of using legal action against him would definitely work as many cases of the the same methods used have ended up in court and generally always have an outcome in the buyers favour. The point is at $4500 the legal costs would far outweigh the bargain.

But if you're a principles type of person and money is of no object I'm sure you'd have a lot of fun with this seller.

I would really like to see some examples of these many cases that have gone to court.. I highly doubt anyone in the US has ever taken a seller to court and won simply because the seller didn't honor the ebay sale.

There was one very notable sale of a vintage WWII aircraft in the USA that was sold and the seller baled on it and claimed it was damaged, that went to court (non performance of contract) and the buyer won the case quite easily. Now in saying that as I previously put in the above post it's all about the costs verses the cost of the item and in this case it just wouldn't warrant it would it ?

Sadly this is where eBay is a toothless tiger with no clout whatsoever. As such there is no eBay Police but eBay to itself and we all know in who's favour that will always flow on to.

As far as eBay fees still being charged is concerned, when a sale falls over the seller can do a "Final Value Fee Credit" and get their fees back. This happens all the time and the sale still appears as a completed sale on the sellers and eBay's register for all to see. It's the little transparency that's still left on eBay for us all to see.

There was one very notable sale of a vintage WWII aircraft in the USA that was sold and the seller baled on it and claimed it was damaged, that went to court (non performance of contract) and the buyer won the case quite easily. Now in saying that as I previously put in the above post it's all about the costs verses the cost of the item and in this case it just wouldn't warrant it would it ?

Sadly this is where eBay is a toothless tiger with no clout whatsoever. As such there is no eBay Police but eBay to itself and we all know in who's favour that will always flow on to.

As far as eBay fees still being charged is concerned, when a sale falls over the seller can do a "Final Value Fee Credit" and get their fees back. This happens all the time and the sale still appears as a completed sale on the sellers and eBay's register for all to see. It's the little transparency that's still left on eBay for us all to see.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...t/news-story/50d31ce2ea5ef1093bfe32b2eca4cbce

That looks to have happened in Australia..

I do remember that case in Australia back in 2006 as it was all over the electronic media but I'm pretty sure there was also a case in the USA which ended up with the seller handing it all over in pieces rather than together out of spite. It didn't end nicely if I recall correctly.

And on a side note, several moons ago I bought a 2600 which ended very early Sunday morning. That's the worst possible time to end an auction. The price was cheap compared to the market and it was local pickup. Lucky for me, the guy honored the sale. I could tell he was pissed but he was professional and I did not let on.
You mean it happened again?

I do remember that case in Australia back in 2006 as it was all over the electronic media but I'm pretty sure there was also a case in the USA which ended up with the seller handing it all over in pieces rather than together out of spite. It didn't end nicely if I recall correctly.

Maybe it was on judge Judy.. If youre going to make a claim like this please back it up with a link... I looked and could only find the Australian case which has no realavance to what a court in the us would do.

Back
Top Bottom