Disappointed about my stereo repairs.

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Lonnie1212, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

10 days ago I took a vintage Concord CR-400 to a local repair shop. I ask the repairman to go over the unit and give it a good thorough inspection. A couple dial lights were burned out, and 3 of the 4 speaker channels did not work. Picked up the stereo today, paid the man $163.00 in service and repairs, took the unit home and the speaker channels still do not work. He had more than enough time to make the repairs. A simple operational check would have revealed that the speaker channels were inop. Now I am red hot. Will have to go another weekend without my stereo.

Thanks for listening. I will not mention the name of the repair shop until I have a talk with them tomorrow.

Lonnie

2. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

Are you sure its not a problem with your speakers?

Lonnie1212 likes this.
  3. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

Hi John, that's a good thing to consider. Both of the speakers I experimented with are hooked up to another stereo. They are working just fine.

4. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

Didn't you march right back to the guy and ask for your money back?

Lonnie1212 likes this.
  5. Archguy

Archguy Life's 2 short 4 plastic speakers Subscriber

I feel your disappointment, but....free advice: cool down a bit before talking to him. Better to go in acting dispirited and at worst uncomprehending as though it's a problem that needs to be sorted out between you (even though it certainly appears to be oversight on his part). "I got home and two of the channels didn't work, what could be the problem?" And let us know the results.

WAIT A MINUTE. All three of the defective channels still don't work? Take a sledgehammer with you tomorrow.
    Revised script: "Nice little shop ya got here...be a shame if anything happened to it..."

James Harco likes this.
  6. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

Sounds like good advice. I will calm down before I go back. They have a lot of business. Maybe they just got too busy at one point. I could've made the same mistake.

James Harco likes this.
  7. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Thread topic is about a member's System, not "Vintage Gear - Top Performers"
    - Moved thread to correct forum

asilker and Lonnie1212 like this.
  8. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Agree with the take a moment advice. I’ve had quite a few “round twos” with repairs lately. Older stuff is (can be) tricky in that other near death components can kick the bucket after the fact.
    While yours does sound extreme, make your case calmly and ask what the tech did repair the first time around.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Lonnie1212 likes this.
  9. luxmaster

luxmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I disagree. You paid for a service that was not delivered. As a competent repair man he should have tested not once but twice before you receive it. My repair man will always leave the unit running for hours after a repair is done to confirm the repair is solid and nothing else goes on. However im not saying every repair is bulletproof either. I would be mad but straight about it.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  10. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I made the same mistake. I think most local shops are just places to take a dead LCD that you don't want to fix yourself. No regular electronics guy wants to restore a vintage anything.

11. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

Its always good to check everything before you pay. Sorry to hear that :dunno:

Bill Ferris and Lonnie1212 like this.
  12. Todd Dodds

Todd Dodds AK Subscriber Subscriber

And, likewise, those shops' customers don't want to put much more than OP's $163 into their repair. Those repair guys are pretty much beat into a "fix the light, and get rid of that scratchy volume knob..." way of thinking.
    I've had 2 local guys that kept my gear for many months, and in the end didn't do much more than a resistor or two, and an overnight soak in the DeOxit tank. When I politely explained that, gee, I was sort of hoping for a more ambitious resto job, they told me "...yea, I can do that. But it'll take a while."

But, the good news is that the AK roster has your dream tech ready to help.

13. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

That is a good idea. They should allow that before people walk out with their equipment. My stereo is one of those big award pieces too. Will go back today.

14. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

Update: my stereo is back in the shop. They verified that there was a problem. Thanks for listening and giving advice.

15. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

The guy I've been taking my stuff too lately is great. But EVERYTHING has gone back for a Round Two. Everything.

Fortunately he's cool and never charges me for round two.

16. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

This happens, and I’ve been going thru the same thing. Fortunately the second round is usually the final round. It also helps that our techs are cool, this could be rendered annoying as hell by a bad attitude.

asilker likes this.
  17. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

Strange the repair shop would send the unit out not working and checking the basics.:idea::crazy:

Bill Ferris and Lonnie1212 like this.
  18. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

Yes, it is rather strange.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  19. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

I've had an amp in the repair shop for 13 months.I am ready to just walk away from it altogether.

Lonnie1212 likes this.
  20. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 Member

13 months? What is going on with the amp?

Bill Ferris likes this.