Disappointed about my stereo repairs.

Lonnie1212

10 days ago I took a vintage Concord CR-400 to a local repair shop. I ask the repairman to go over the unit and give it a good thorough inspection. A couple dial lights were burned out, and 3 of the 4 speaker channels did not work. Picked up the stereo today, paid the man $163.00 in service and repairs, took the unit home and the speaker channels still do not work. He had more than enough time to make the repairs. A simple operational check would have revealed that the speaker channels were inop. Now I am red hot. Will have to go another weekend without my stereo.

Thanks for listening. I will not mention the name of the repair shop until I have a talk with them tomorrow.

Lonnie

He had more than enough time to make the repairs. A simple operational check would have revealed that the speaker channels were inop. Now I am red hot.

I feel your disappointment, but....free advice: cool down a bit before talking to him. Better to go in acting dispirited and at worst uncomprehending as though it's a problem that needs to be sorted out between you (even though it certainly appears to be oversight on his part). "I got home and two of the channels didn't work, what could be the problem?" And let us know the results.

WAIT A MINUTE. All three of the defective channels still don't work? Take a sledgehammer with you tomorrow.
Revised script: "Nice little shop ya got here...be a shame if anything happened to it..."

Sounds like good advice. I will calm down before I go back. They have a lot of business. Maybe they just got too busy at one point. I could've made the same mistake.

Thread topic is about a member's System, not "Vintage Gear - Top Performers"
- Moved thread to correct forum

Agree with the take a moment advice. I’ve had quite a few “round twos” with repairs lately. Older stuff is (can be) tricky in that other near death components can kick the bucket after the fact.
While yours does sound extreme, make your case calmly and ask what the tech did repair the first time around.

Last edited:
I disagree. You paid for a service that was not delivered. As a competent repair man he should have tested not once but twice before you receive it. My repair man will always leave the unit running for hours after a repair is done to confirm the repair is solid and nothing else goes on. However im not saying every repair is bulletproof either. I would be mad but straight about it.

I made the same mistake. I think most local shops are just places to take a dead LCD that you don't want to fix yourself. No regular electronics guy wants to restore a vintage anything.

I made the same mistake. I think most local shops are just places to take a dead LCD that you don't want to fix yourself. No regular electronics guy wants to restore a vintage anything.

And, likewise, those shops' customers don't want to put much more than OP's $163 into their repair. Those repair guys are pretty much beat into a "fix the light, and get rid of that scratchy volume knob..." way of thinking.
I've had 2 local guys that kept my gear for many months, and in the end didn't do much more than a resistor or two, and an overnight soak in the DeOxit tank. When I politely explained that, gee, I was sort of hoping for a more ambitious resto job, they told me "...yea, I can do that. But it'll take a while."

But, the good news is that the AK roster has your dream tech ready to help.

Update: my stereo is back in the shop. They verified that there was a problem. Thanks for listening and giving advice.

The guy I've been taking my stuff too lately is great. But EVERYTHING has gone back for a Round Two. Everything.

Fortunately he's cool and never charges me for round two.

The guy I've been taking my stuff too lately is great. But EVERYTHING has gone back for a Round Two. Everything.

Fortunately he's cool and never charges me for round two.
This happens, and I’ve been going thru the same thing. Fortunately the second round is usually the final round. It also helps that our techs are cool, this could be rendered annoying as hell by a bad attitude.

Back
Top Bottom