Discussion about Advent 300 receiver vs Apt Holman Preamp

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
In early Dec, Sunbeam62 had a for sale listing on his Apt Holman preamp, which I quickly snapped up, and a number of us got into a discussion in that thread about the Advent 300 Receiver which some folks were saying was a comparable unit. I was in California Dec 3-9, and planned to audition and pick up his preamp then, but between the Thomas Wildfire and Eric's move, I was unable to drop by Dec 5th, so I've asked him to ship it AFTER all the Christmas package storm is over.
But I had also bought an Advent 300 receiver from eBay, and it just arrived today ...

I just unpacked it and took some pix. I took a few moments to polish the preamp/Main amp jumpers, then I'll hook it up and check it out later today.

Advent-300_fr_5697.jpg Advent-300_rear_5698.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Advent that I got from RichPA who got it fron DJNagle that I think Terry Dewickt spent some time inside.
I use it in my bedroom, but am curious as to how your shootout turns out. It's generally regarded as a nice preamp with a meh power amp.

Hooked it in to some M&K satellites worked over by a Texas AK member I got via Bartertown
6 or so years back. With no antenna connected I picked up 2 or 3 local stations like gangbusters.
Hooked a mini-jack to stereo RCA cables adapter up to my phone and played some (Lossless) tracks ...
Louie Armstrong (St. James Infirmary), One for my baby (Frank SInatra) and a few others off a Demo-tracks playlist - really sounds quite nice.
Volume pot and a few others sound a bit noisy and will probably need a good cleaning, but I can't complain about this at just under $100 shipped!

The Sony receiver under it was a "please take me" piece at an AK party at ehoove's a few years back - plays fine,
but the chip that runs the display is dead, no longer available, and without a display, its not the best for bedroom music playback.

But from what I've heard so far, the Advent 300 is a nice little unit for efficient speakers - now to go find a twinlead FM antenna or a pair of bunny ears!

Advent300-Bedroom-zoomed_5702.jpg

Advent300-Bedroom-Rt_5701.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on what looks like a very clean example of a hi-fi classic. I own two of them. One is on my test bench pushing Sequerra Met 7s. The other does radio only duty. Both original as the day they were built.
Years ago they could be had for can beer money. I think with the resurgence of vinyl and the 'Holman inside' phono design prices may have got a little high.
I also own,from new, (8/7/78 $477.00 Lyric Hi-Fi NYC) the iconic Apt/Holman preamp. It has served me well over the years. Back on line now, standing in for my Counterpoint preamp, it does not disappoint.

A member has downloaded the yellow owners manual for the Apt/Holman. Print all 50+ pages so you will understand not only the functions of the controls but the design philosophy as well.

Happy listening and happy holiday.
Jimmy

I have an Advent that I got from RichPA who got it fron DJNagle that I think Terry Dewickt spent some time inside.
I use it in my bedroom, but am curious as to how your shootout turns out. It's generally regarded as a nice preamp with a meh power amp.

That brings back memories! Glad to hear it's still in service. I always used it as a preamp, and thought it did a nice job in that application.

I put a spare Apple AirportExpress in place on the Advent 300 receiver, so now I can stream anything in iTunes (60k+ lossless track)
into that room using my iPhone as a remote. It really sounds/works well!
Still need to find a twinlead FM antenna to make the install complete -
I know I have a couple packed away, just don't want to dig for them on Christmas Day ...

Advent300-BR-Pix_5709.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my 300 new in the mid ‘70’s because I needed a unit with a preamp out to connect with my Braun LV 1020 tri-amplified speakers.
Still using both although I had to replace the woofers along the way. I patch back into the power amp to power a pair of Stax SR5/SRD6 electrostatic headphones.

The Apt Holman Pre Amp and the Power Amp Manuals are great to read. I wish all manuals were that detailed.

Back
Top Bottom