Distinction bet. MC2505 and MC2505-2 ?

psychoaudio

I didn't do it
Subscriber
Pardon if this has been discussed- searched but did not find answers.

Kindly post significant variations and or iterations of this model.

Thank you

I had asked the same thing, was told that there is no difference.

Changes go by S/N, there were some changes through the 10-year run, and I believe that all of the late ones are stamped 2505-2 on the back of the chassis, mine was built mid-'74.

I believe I have 5 service manuals for 1 gen 2505s and then the last the 6th, for gen 2.

Being their first solid state amp parts changed, parts locations changed, they obviously learned as the amp matured. Same with the MC2105 as well as the non metered units.

You have to remember they gave up tubes kicking and screaming.

The last clinic that DOB swapped out tubes that I can remember was 1980..... He told me that 50% of the new tubes they received at the factory met his expectations, by 1985 it was 1 out of 10.

In 1967 the hand writing was already on the wall and they had to start doing transistor output circuits.

Postscript,

Next time any of you is over in hifi engine look up the service notes Mac released with the first MC2505.

Techs were just getting their hands on transitor amps so the groundwork for servicing should be read by all before they heat up a iron or get out a screwdriver.

It is really entertaining.

Yes !

20170706_174750-RR.jpg

20170706_174757-RR.jpg

and the color of the letters on the front panel was clear pink when the unit was on ! gold when it was off (like all the other )

I had asked the same thing, was told that there is no difference.

Changes go by S/N, there were some changes through the 10-year run, and I believe that all of the late ones are stamped 2505-2 on the back of the chassis, mine was built mid-'74.

My example dates from 1973.

The early 2505 had a bezel that boarded the meter located behind the glass.View attachment 967406

Riddle me this: If one has an early 2505 with either bubbling or broken faceplate glass, does the replacement glass McIntosh offers properly reveal the full beveling around the meters just like the original glass? Or is the replacement glass black masking surrounding the meter cavities only optimized for the later 2505s without the bezeled meter?

In other words, does the MAC replacement glass have the same exact meter "cutout" size for the black masking material surrounding the beveled meter -- or would the replacement glass' black masking around the meters be a different size and therefore occlude part of the beveling and look goofy on the early 2505s? Is MAC only making a "one size fits all" replacement glass with black masking that's really only optimized for the later model 2505s?

Anyone know?

Last edited:
The glass is the same for either meter style.

Thanks. It appears that the masking of the black material on the glass is of a different cutout dimension on the early meter-beveled 2505s vs the later non-beveled 2505s.

See below for comparison.

The conclusion I would reach is that if one owns an early 2505 with the cool beveled meter, any attempt at installing MAC replacement glass results in glass masking that will occlude the meter beveling. Goofy decision by McIntosh to not provide a replacement glass option for the early 2505s.

If one has an early 2505, better hope your original glass doesn't break or develop bubbling, as there is no exact replica glass of the original from McIntosh that contains proper black masking dimensions surrounding the meters.

Below: later version 2505 without beveled meter. Note the black masking dimensions adhered to the glass.

mc2505-31.jpg

Below: early 2505 with beveled meters. Note the larger cutout masking around the meters. If a replacement glass would be installed, the masking optimized for the later 2505s would occlude the beveling.

8665.jpg

Last edited:
I have two series 2 units in front of me. both are original glass and the -20 meter numbers are not hidden. I question the origin of the glass in the first picture.

Something doesn't look right about that upper one either.

Audio Classics will know this for sure.

Here's another 2505 series II I found online. Meter masking still looks different than a Series 1.

I bet that McIntosh made a cost efficiency decision (i.e. being cheap) to just support the series II cutout dimensions with their modern day glass replacements -- and are throwing the Series 1 owners under the bus. Of course, the Series II replacement glass will fit Series 1, but the unique beveling effect will look "off" and experience partial occlusion.

MC2505_Front_01.jpg

8665.jpg

Last edited:
In my many trips up to my favorite toy store to the north, I've seen any number of VI 2505 with fresh replacement glass so I doubt there will be a problem either way.

This front panel don't look and it is not original , I don't know from where it is coming from . It is a "fake " one

mc2505-32.JPG

and guess why ?

There is no red rectangular for power on , above the MC Intosh logo !

the meters windows are not at the right size !

The switch for meters indicate "MATER" and not METER

beware I saw some offer for front glass "replica" on the web . They are not identical ., and this one proove it !

The font is not good (not perfect like mine ! ) and if you watch carefully you will see the differences with AMPLIFIER which is shorter than SOLID STATE !! this is not the case on the both pictures above !

I don't understand where is the good deal to buy such part !

Again , buy your parts from agreed addresses !

clinic-audio expert on MC INTOSH products over 42 years

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom