Distinction bet. MC2505 and MC2505-2 ?

OK, it has been established that McIntosh does not make the replacement glass for the early MC 2505 with the recessed bezels and the initial nomenclature.

So if you buy an early MC 2505 and it has bubbling around the headphone jack or around the Panloc buttons, just fix it with black Rustoleum paint. The process has been covered here by many owners.

Larry

My Service Manual is for my -2 and it shows the meter switch as a simple 2-gang rotary that can be re-wired for off in either direction.

Without an early SM or unit I can't say for sure that they use the same switch on an early 2505, but if they did it should be a simple matter of re-wiring the switch to have OFF on the right side to match a new faceplate.

Regarding the bezels? A matter of taste. I prefer the later look with the meters up against the glass / no bezels because that's the look that I always remembered, but I certainly can see the beauty in the earlier design with the bezels also.

Without an early SM or unit I can't say for sure that they use the same switch on an early 2505,

In early model , meter switch is 146-109
In late model , meter switch is 146-109
Same part number = same part !

but if they did it should be a simple matter of re-wiring the switch to have OFF on the right side to match a new faceplate.
Yes !

WINNER!

This and the (SB: MC-2505-2) mods to S/N < 11K54 for more power, plus bigger coupling caps, you've got a late S/N with a new faceplate (albeit with obscured bezels).

Sounds like any 2505 is as good as any other depending on condition and whether you want bezels.

Here is an example of an MC2505 w/ bezel meters and replacement glass. I'm damned I can find fault with the appearance.

"Occluded" bezels or not, it's a small price to pay for having the settings arranged to minimize chances of damaging the meters.

McIntosh-MC2505-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier-new-LEDs-_57.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some video of the original 1967 Series 1 design vs the Series 2.

Below: Series 1 with bezel no color gel behind potentiometer text

Below: Series 2 without bezel and green color gel behind potentiometer text

Last edited:
Below: Series 1 with bezel no color gel behind potentiometer text

no , sorry this is not correct
the color filter was pink and turn to white with the time
I have a picture of that in my notes but Ihave to make research , find it and post it

Below: Series 2 without bezel and green color gel behind potentiometer text

Sorry again but this is not correct too
There is no green color gel on any MCINTOSH front glass . This is a MCINTOSH LABS patent since many years .
When units are power off you can read all letters in gold
Once you switch the power on , all letters turn to green . No filter here .

Here it is
Pictures are about one very old front glass with silk screening damaged that I have refixed

We can easely see that the color of the silk screening is white not green (the pink filter has been deleted from the rear of the glass in order to clean it and refix it )

DSC08520-MC2505-refixed-RR.JPG DSC08525-MC2505-RR.JPG

we can see on these pictures that the preserving pad (for the heat coming from the lamps) are made with pieces of transformers decals !!

Back
Top Bottom