DIY: Amazing Teflon Thread Sealing Tape

mfrench

Addicted Member
Blue Monster PTFE Plumbers tape

Sometimes you run across products that just deserve to have praises screamed aloud!
This is one such product: Blue Monster PTFE tape.

I retrofitted a new swimming pool pump, and larger filter, earlier this summer. Both the pump and filter use cast-in 2" PVC thread female couplings. In order to make one device mate with the other, different fittings come into play; any of which can cause leak points. I got the components mated, and ended up with a near perfect result, except where the plumbing came into the filter, downstream of the pump. It developed an entirely irritating slight drip; just enough to wet the concrete at that point, but not enough to puddle or flow.
I tried a huge amount of typical grade ptfe tape, without any success. I tried silicone, without any luck.
then one day I needed to get some irrigation supplies, and stumbled on this stuff. The clerk said it is fantastic stuff, so I tried it.
AMAZING! Leak fixed, bone dry service pad.

Just yesterday, I renovated our main water supply line to the house. It had a large pvc cartridge filter device fitted in-line, down-flow from the water meter main connection output. It was obsolete, and baked brittle by 35++ years of sun (house built in '79, but don't know whole history of device). This device was for a time where the city water supply came from a dirt bottomed reservoir, and late summer water was full of silt. Present reservoirs are now lined, and water is clean.
So, to preempt any sort of catastrophic failure, I dug int and cut the old filter housing out. I rerouted the plumbing to a better location, for an irrigation box, and added a secondary main shutoff valve in a closer to the house location, added a hose bib in a new desirable location too, where the nearest one was a long way away.

I've used the Blue Monster 3/4" wide tape, in two critical applications now.
It is far thicker than the typical white tape.
What is a really cool component of the stuff, is that thee is a gel sealer that is built into the tape, and when under stress, like screwing fittings together, it releases this sealing gel, which adds an unbeatable layer of sealing to what teflon tape is already known for.

OK,.... Enough rambling.
You need to get a roll of this stuff. Its quite an amazing product.

Thanks for posting this. I have never run across this, but will be trying it out very soon on an upcoming home made RCM for my sisters kids.

That tape and tape like it has been around a long time. It does work though. I don't know about better than white tape but it works at least the same.

Unusual for an aussie product to make it to USA,
I used to be a plumber,
I've never seen that brand before,
and I'm in Australia.

That tape and tape like it has been around a long time. It does work though. I don't know about better than white tape but it works at least the same.

The white stuff is like gold leaf thin in comparison. This stuff is like 10x thicker (a guess, but it's really thick). Its works great for larger pipe thread. I've yet to use it (blue monster) on something like 1/2" or smaller, but have now used it on 3/4", 1", 1.5", and 2" threads.

Unusual for an aussie product to make it to USA,
I used to be a plumber,
I've never seen that brand before,
and I'm in Australia.

I didn't realize it was an Aussie product, until you mentioned it. You ought to try it if you can find it. good stuff.

I use that stuff all the time! It is great!! :thmbsp::thmbsp:

I don't care if I ever see the cheap white crap ever again!!

i've not seen blue...i usually get the pink stuff if i'm buying,i believe it's for gas fittings?anyway,same deal...it's noticeably thicker,seals a lot better and doesn't shred quite as easily as the super thin white stuff

how do you use it - once around or several? Thinking about using this
over Loctite red or blue on auto plugs (not pressurized) like drain
plugs that come loose even with a compression lock washer.

thanks!
Bob

A few wraps is sufficient, about half of what I would use of the white stuff.

I don't know about holding something from coming loose however. :scratch2:

Thanks for the "heads up" on a "good" tape.

I had an issue remodeling the bath/laundry that tape just would not fix.
I found RectorSeal, problems solved.

i've not seen blue...i usually get the pink stuff if i'm buying,i believe it's for gas fittings?anyway,same deal...it's noticeably thicker,seals a lot better and doesn't shred quite as easily as the super thin white stuff

I don't know about the pinks stuff, but gas tape is coded for gas. When I was gas fitting it was a no-no to use the regular stuff(in a blue case). The tape we used if we weren't using pipe dope comes in a yellow case, and has a bit of a yellow tint to it. A lot thinker than the regular stuff, too. I still keep some around.
I'll keep an eye open for this stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't know about the pinks stuff, but gas tape is coded for gas. When I was gas fitting it was a no-no to use the regular stuff(in a blue case). The tape we used if we weren't using pipe dope comes in a yellow case, and has a bit of a yellow tint to it. A lot thinker than the regular stuff, too. I still keep some around.
I'll keep an eye open for this stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

i did remember seeing yellow tape on gas lines once you mentioned it,and i wasn't sure what the pink stuff was for either...so according to wickipedia[take it for what it's worth]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

"White PTFE is single density, yellow is double density and pink is triple density"

seems like there are more colors beyond these...but blue is not mentioned LOL...must be actually something new :)

Back
Top Bottom