DIY colored bulbs?

Hi DUMPTRUCK
I need to replace some pilot lights on my old Sansui 310 receiver. Where can one get those LED replacements online. I'm in Montreal, Canada?

At the link I provided? I don't know of a place selling them in Canada, if that's what you mean. I have also heard that AK member whsh93a has put together some LED kits, and making your own is also a good option.

In my experience, I have been using Staples brand colour felt tip pens. The ink they use colours glass and LEDs beautifully and is fairly permanent on lamps, very permanent on LEDs. Staples article 620536. There are 12 markers in 12 common colours and can match most lamp colours. Do compensate for the yellow colour of conventional lamps. Most other markers will NOT colour LEDs and are not dark enough for lamps. Two coats several hours apart works good on lamps.

I have used fingernail polish on a couple of projects I found there are a 1,000,001 different shades available. I picked a royal blue for one job, and it was too blue, I hit it will a little fingernail polish remove and noticed it only took off a little color and tried again and it was perfect. I have since done some green ones too. So far so good and by either wiping off or using remover or a second coat I can adjust the depth and shade of color.. My first project has been up for about a year and no fade or peeling so far..

Try calling a local arts and crafts store, for glass paint. This company makes some, Marabu-GlasArt. Since the directions have you bake the glass at 150 degrees Celsius as a drying option, the heat from a light bulb most likely will not hurt it.

Several have mentioned glass paint from the arts&crafts store. Works fine. Made for light bulbs so handles heat. Lots of colors, so you can match. You can get kits (a color selection) or just the color you need.

Don't all sharpies turn brown with heat?

As far as the LED flickering goes ... one of these takes care of that easy ...

led-rectifier.jpg

That's available on that auction site. Lots easier than playing with resistors and such. I converted half the lights on a QRX 9001 and the LEDs are plugged into the output side of the rectifier that's wired into the original lighting circuit. The remaining incandescents are wired in before the rectifier.

Hardest part of converting to LEDs is matching the original color and output. That can take some experimentation. I ended up going with "warm white" high output 12v lamps driven by the original 7vac via the rectifier. Darn near perfect, giving that warm 'Sui glow ...

** LEDs tend to show "hot spots", but you can minimize that by sanding them with 400 grit prior to mounting. That diffuses the light nicely for a wider spread and more even distribution.

Back
Top Bottom