DIY?? ESS Great Heil Tweeters on sale < Half Price!!

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
Someone in Lansing forum mentioned this and I thought it worthwhile to share it here ...
Less than Half Price!!
I just bought a pair of JBL slots in May - or I'd buy a pair of these!
(no affiliation!)

The Original Great ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer™
Regular price$350.00 $140.00 Sale

and even cooler for CONUS buyers - Since a pair would be $280 ---!
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $250 TO THE CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES

https://essspeakers.store/products/the-original-great-ess-heil-amt-air-motion-transformer™

Last edited:
Someone in Lansing forum mentioned this and I thought it worthwhile to share it here ...
Less than Half Price!!
I just bought a pair of JBL slots in May - or I'd buy a pair of these!
(no affiliation!)

The Original Great ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer™
Regular price$350.00 $140.00 Sale

and even cooler for CONUS buyers - Since a pair would be $280 ---!
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $250 TO THE CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES

https://essspeakers.store/products/the-original-great-ess-heil-amt-air-motion-transformer™
WOW! That's amazing.

I've been running them as tweeters from 7khz and up for 10 years now. I wouldn't use any other tweeter.

That is a great price by the way.

Last edited:
Totally different than an 077/2405 and you owe it to yourself to experience these, especially at that price. I have a pair and at that price am still very tempted. The diaphragms are ~$80/each themselves.

No, they don't go as high as a 2405, but you would never know it in casual listening..., and they are smoother.

I was running a pair on 6.8 mfd caps, but changed things up and now running them on 3.3 mfd. I put the tweeter in series with a 5 ohm, 25 watt Dale resistor to get ~8 ohms, then use an 8 ohm L-pad. I also but 2.5 ohms between the cap and L-pad for balance to the mid and just a bit of lower extension.

BTW, to all who use AMTs...,

Heil was correct to time align the AMT to the woofer and I've found that moving the AMT even an inch forward or backwards makes a huge difference in a "suck-out." While hard to differentiate this difference in casual listening, and determining the optimal placement, the 61-band RTA easily demonstrates the difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "encouragement" Todd! ;)

I've been dying to hear a pair of these for years - and, yesterday was payday, I just ordered a pair! Hopefully they'll arrive next weekend.
I'll swap them in for the top end of the modified Heath Valencias (currently 2405 slots).
If I like the Heils better, I can always sell the "slotboxes" for more than I paid for these!

Just ordered LPads and speaker cups from Madisound, 2 Dale resistor from eBay - and chasing down 3.3mfd caps elsewhere ...

Totally different than an 077/2405 and you owe it to yourself to experience these, especially at that price.
I have a pair and at that price am still very tempted. The diaphragms are ~$80/each themselves.

No, they don't go as high as a 2405, but you would never know it in casual listening..., and they are smoother.

I was running a pair on 6.8 mfd caps, but changed things up and now running them on 3.3 mfd.
I put the tweeter in series with a 5 ohm, 25 watt Dale resistor to get ~8 ohms, then use an 8 ohm L-pad.
I also put 2.5 ohms between the cap and L-pad for balance to the mid and just a bit of lower extension.

Heil was correct to time align the AMT to the woofer and I've found that moving the AMT even an inch forward or backwards makes a huge difference in a "suck-out."
While hard to differentiate this difference in casual listening, and determining the optimal placement, the 61-band RTA easily demonstrates the difference.

SlotBox_7160.jpg

Last edited:
For a DIY decision what's the difference between the I, II and III tweeters? They're all the same price. Big is better?

The Heil needs to be raised or the base needs a couple holes to accomodate the "through bolts" that hold it all together. If you like the Heils, I can make you a set of acrylic bases.

With just a bit of "down-sizing" I could get a pair in a small "If it fits it ships" box. As you see it, it is a bit to large.

DSC_00575.JPG

DSC_00593.JPG

Very nice, Todd! I'll think about that - its a very nice presentation, even downsized. If you want to PM me prices, that'd be great.

I have some teflon coated hookup wire with dual banana at each end connected between the Heath terminals and cups on the slot boxes I made for the 2405s.
I figure I'll do something similar for the Heils - put the LPad and crossover parts in a small stained wood box with a speaker cup on the end of the box,
and they can set on the granite slab on top of the Heaths, next to the Heils. I figure I'll cut short lenths of teflon wire to go between the heils into the crossover boxes.
I'm guessing they'll ship within the week and I may have them by next weekend

IMG_7751.jpg

The Heil needs to be raised or the base needs a couple holes to accomodate the "through bolts" that hold it all together. If you like the Heils, I can make you a set of acrylic bases.

With just a bit of "down-sizing" I could get a pair in a small "If it fits it ships" box. As you see it, it is a bit too large.

DSC_00593.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve been wanting to add a few more to my Bozaks. No excuses now.

Kidding aside thanks @hjames for the alert!
Getting the CC out now.

upload_2018-11-17_19-15-58.jpeg

I am so tempted to buy a pair for my Frugal Horns. They would sound similar to these 2K "Great Horned Heils" which have the same Fostex drivers. That's a better price than many of the old ones on eBay.

028_zps00211d9b.jpg

Last edited:
#@%%$$^&#!!! you guys!! You just had to set this juicy steak in front of me, didn't you?! At this price there is no way to say no, they'll be gone in no time. I loved these things as a kid, and I've always wanted to do something with a pair, but the $700 price tag was just too big. Lucky me.

By far the most natural sounding high frequency transducer out there. The only one I found, (when implemented correctly with partner drivers) that can make a piano sound like a real piano.....a bargain price

No word on my Great Heils shipping yet ...
maybe they'll ship after the holiday -
The Madisound order has arrived!
(Lpads and connector cups).
Caps and resistors are on the way via eBay ...

Last edited:
sure wish I'd had the spare scratch, bad timing.

IMO, Heils are the only thing that can approach the purity of true ribbons and Emit planars.

Totally different than an 077/2405 and you owe it to yourself to experience these, especially at that price. I have a pair and at that price am still very tempted. The diaphragms are ~$80/each themselves.

I was running a pair on 6.8 mfd caps, but changed things up and now running them on 3.3 mfd. I put the tweeter in series with a 5 ohm, 25 watt Dale resistor to get ~8 ohms, then use an 8 ohm L-pad. I also but 2.5 ohms between the cap and L-pad for balance to the mid and just a bit of lower extension.

Hi Todd,

Thanks that is nice base. Can you make me a pair of these. Mine is biggest size. Please PM me if you can.
Thanks
Dave

ESS says my parts have shipped from Ontario CA via UPS ground, so it'll be a slow truck ride,
but they should be here in early Dec, before the worst crush of Holiday shipping!

No word on my Great Heils shipping yet ...
maybe they'll ship after the holiday -
The Madisound order has arrived!
(Lpads and connector cups).
Caps and resistors are on the way via eBay ...

Back
Top Bottom