DIY FleXy Rack instructions?

Does anyone have any cable dressing ideas, I am definitely gonna build one. Just dont like wires hanging everywhere. Since there is a lot of metal in this unit maybe some 1" conduit or pvc punched out in back? Just brain-storming.

Computer stores carry a product called something like "cable saver" which is a strip of plastic tubing with an opening on the side to fit the cables through. I haven't inspected them thoroughly, but I think some of them overlap at the edges and are therefore slightly expandable. Using something like that you could eliminate cable clutter without altering the form of the rack.

ok.

ONE LAST QUESTION.

The project is going to start rolling this weekend, and should be done by this weekend.

Is this stuff solid metal or tubular stuff.....

I would think that it is solid.....

AND.....where can I get 3/4" solid metal stainless threaded rods?

They are solid and there are various lengths at Home Depot and the other place. (Props to Stuwee). One thing I notices is some of the longer lengths are bent a little, but do what is within your budget. Do you have the wood already? I am going to wait until I find a salvaged shelving unit, like a Ethen Allen, Broyhill or equiv and scrap it for the shelves. Good luck and dont forget those safety goggles :)

They are solid and there are various lengths at Home Depot and the other place. (Props to Stuwee). One thing I notices is some of the longer lengths are bent a little, but do what is within your budget. Do you have the wood already? I am going to wait until I find a salvaged shelving unit, like a Ethen Allen, Broyhill or equiv and scrap it for the shelves. Good luck and dont forget those safety goggles :)

Don't have the wood yet.

Gonna have to figure out the measurements first, and then get the wood.

The hardwood at those places is pretty pricey, but some folks went with plywood and mdf. They also have some ready made pine shelves (glued) that are cut and have nice grain for about $18 a sheet, you will see they are wrapped in plastic. Hey if this comes off nice you may have found your summer job, huh. Just gotta do some market research. Have fun.

ok.

ONE LAST QUESTION.

The project is going to start rolling this weekend, and should be done by this weekend.

Is this stuff solid metal or tubular stuff.....

I would think that it is solid.....

AND.....where can I get 3/4" solid metal stainless threaded rods?

Nobody here is using stainless steel David.

McMaster-carr has 3/4" stainless rods for 90 bucks a pop!

I have seen the rods that everyone uses at Ace Hardware.

Evan

The hardwood at those places is pretty pricey, but some folks went with plywood and mdf. They also have some ready made pine shelves (glued) that are cut and have nice grain for about $18 a sheet, you will see they are wrapped in plastic. Hey if this comes off nice you may have found your summer job, huh. Just gotta do some market research. Have fun.

I am going to use MDF....

Thanks for the idea, but I don't have all of the stuff handy to do that....

But who knows. Like I said, I'll try ANYTHING once.....

Nobody here is using stainless steel David.

McMaster-carr has 3/4" stainless rods for 90 bucks a pop!

I have seen the rods that everyone uses at Ace Hardware.

Evan

OUCH.

Standard steel rods it is.

So now I'll call Ace and Home Depot today and see what they've got...

I'm thankful I found some bada$$ furniture for the living room for cheap so I don't have to build one now. :D I even already have the birch laminate 4 X 8 sheet of wood but instead am getting 2 Barzilay cabinets to go under my plasma in the LR to hold the AV gear plus my Carver preamp, amp, CD player and SACD player.

Good luck with your project David. If I were closer, I'd be glad to help you out as I have the woodworking tools, etc.

I've had no problems with the hardware at all. A local Ace has all size rods up to 15/16ths I believe and the hardware for each.

I'm considering using 3 quarter inch MDF glued together for the shelves. I can then take the inner one, put cutouts in it and fill with sand or other dampening agents.

Just a thought.

Anyone else have any interesting variations on the theme?

Going to Ace hardware today to have a look at the materials needed....

I am thinking that 3 shelves would be better than 2, with one shelf for a TV and video system. It would make life a lot easier.

if that makes any sense at all.....:D

I have a figure bouncing around of $300 for both shelves, 5/8" steel threaded rods, 1" MDF and all hardware.......

6 feet high.

Does this sound reasonable, or am I using stuff that is too expensive?

I would be coupling together 2 3' rods with a large nut. rods are $8 each.

It also looks like I will be paying for them myself, as my father does not have the money, but I am selling my JBL 4311's, and I can prolly get $200 to go to this project from them and have $50 left over to put towards other projects.

I like the idea. All the shelves will be 2 feet square to facilitate whatever I might have coming, and my Teac A-3340S with 10.5" reels on it.

$300 huh ouch. I built a 3 foot flexy once and used John Boos butcher block I got on closeout and 3/4" rod off craigslist. Probably kept it under $150 for a bit sturdier and nicer rack. Just trying to say start scrounging. around. Scrap plywood with scrap hardwood flooring and some 1x for the edge. Could end up costing nothing. Instead of using threaded rod you can attach 1x3 or 4 to the sides of the aforementioned 1x for the edge. Either 2 a side or 2 and 1 on one side if you like. I'll try to post a pic later. Here's an example of why I think you might do better with your limited budget though I think you can do even better by yourself. Just 3 shelves though. Ikea lack tables have been used also. $20 for the side table.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1215539934

$300 huh ouch. I built a 3 foot flexy once and used John Boos butcher block I got on closeout and 3/4" rod off craigslist. Probably kept it under $150 for a bit sturdier and nicer rack. Just trying to say start scrounging. around. Scrap plywood with scrap hardwood flooring and some 1x for the edge. Could end up costing nothing. Instead of using threaded rod you can attach 1x3 or 4 to the sides of the aforementioned 1x for the edge. Either 2 a side or 2 and 1 on one side if you like. I'll try to post a pic later. Here's an example of why I think you might do better with your limited budget though I think you can do even better by yourself. Just 3 shelves though. Ikea lack tables have been used also. $20 for the side table.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1215539934

I am talkin about $300 for the WHOLE deal. BOTH Flexys. 6 feet high. As many shelves as I want. That would cost a fortune any other way.

Here are a couple. The second you could build with the Lack side tables.

Attachments

• 1155818474.jpg
    1155818474.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 159
  • krack.jpg
    krack.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 169
By the way there's nothing wrong with your plan I just wanted to show you a potentially cheaper way and some different ideas. Us older guys always have lots of scrap supplies around! I could build those for free, ha!

SLEEP?!?!?!?!

What is this sleep you speak of....and where can I buy some? :D

Seriously, between the prodigious posting, the projects, school, the girlfriend, how much sleep do you get? Seems that you are always online here, and have numerous things going on! I don't know how you do it!

Back
Top Bottom