DIY Folded-Horn Speaker Design from 1955

Very interesting design.....

I love the pictures of that amp too.. .I wish schematics looked like the bottom picture of the amp... I know I could build that with no problem if schematics were drawn like that.. :D

That's pretty cool. Wish I had a couple of Lowther drivers for a project like that.

Think something like this might work?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-010

Dayton PA130-8 5" Full Range PA Driver $16.98 each.

Frequency range: 90-15,000 Hz * Magnet Weight: 20 oz. * Fs: 92 Hz * SPL: 90.0 dB 1W/1m

I was even looking at this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-020

Galaxy Audio S5N-8 5" Neodymium Full Range Driver 8 Ohm $49.00 each.

*Frequency response: 150-18,000 Hz *Fs: 130 Hz *SPL: 95 dB 1W/1m

Very efficient!

Thoughts?

I can't tell in the specs if those are actual volume dimensions for the drivers or Thiel small parameters. You would have to see if the drivers are appropriate for that kind of volume. Have you looked into transmission line speaker DIY as an alternative?

I can't tell in the specs if those are actual volume dimensions for the drivers or Thiel small parameters. You would have to see if the drivers are appropriate for that kind of volume. Have you looked into transmission line speaker DIY as an alternative?

No, I'm just a neophyte here, playing around with interesting plans from the past. Since the cabs are all flat panels you can cut out on a table saw without much else in the way of cabinetmaking expertise, I thought it might be something I could try. No math on speaker parameters, it's all Greek to me at this point.

No, I'm just a neophyte here, playing around with interesting plans from the past. Since the cabs are all flat panels you can cut out on a table saw without much else in the way of cabinetmaking expertise, I thought it might be something I could try. No math on speaker parameters, it's all Greek to me at this point.

Contact PE and find out the volume of cabinet they will operate in. I will attest that a folded horn sounds very good as I have heard many examples. Not sure what your budget is but I also wouldn't rule out trying to find Lowthers for that design- you will not regret it and will have a pair that will last you the rest of your life. I'm sure some of the TL speaker guys will chime in too. I guess what I am really trying to say is go for it- the project is very worthwhile. I will continue to watch this thread and offer up any help I can.

This is a Back Loaded Horn, using Fostex 126e. This cabinet will actually use a few different 4" drivers because the compression chamber is adjustable. I've had no reason to change out the original Fostex drivers since I think they do an adequate job.

IMG_0144.jpg

If you would like to use a vintage horn enclosure, Dr. A. Busch's Buschhorn is probably one of the older designs. Unfortunately, the enclosure was modeled for a driver no longer available but could be reverse engineered to accommodate different drivers.

Two websites that are a must for horn building:http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2 and http://www.planet10-hifi.com/.

Hmmm, I have a pair of Frazier 4" full rangers that would be perfect for some of these folded horns. Methinks it's time to start another speaker project. I even have the T/S parameters somewhere for them.

I appreciate it, and I've been looking at them for a long time now. No disrespect intended, but it's precisely that kind of thing I'd prefer to avoid.
I'm sorry, what is it you're trying to avoid?

Hmmm, I have a pair of Frazier 4" full rangers that would be perfect for some of these folded horns. Methinks it's time to start another speaker project. I even have the T/S parameters somewhere for them.
Are these the same drivers I have on my shelf? Lol, I can't remember who I got them from. If you do run across the T/S params, I'd sure like to know what they are.

I'm sorry, what is it you're trying to avoid?

I'm not sure I know exactly how to explain, but I'll try.

When I cut the tail lights out of my 1972 Ford Maverick and modded a set of junkyard 1969 Lincoln Cougar tail lights to fit in the holes, I was pursuing a goal that seemed likely to yield something interesting, unique, and cheap. It was DIY in the hands-on and risky sense; it might have failed miserably and looked bad, or not worked, and left me with a sense of regret. On the other hand, since it did work, and got lots of positive comments from people, it gave me great joy.

They also made fiberglas kits at the time to modify how your car looked. Sure, it was DIY, but it had been done, it was pretty much guaranteed to work and to look good. It was more about your skills with bondo and sanding and painting than your intuition and inventiveness. The goal was not just to to DIY, but to do it just like the instructions called for, using parts which were guaranteed to fit.

I have been looking at the various speaker-building websites for a long time, because certain speaker concepts fascinate me; full range drivers and open enclosures and folded horns and so on. And this takes me into learning more about the history of these things; where did they come from? What were they like originally? So I have an historical curiosity, not just a desire to build a set of speakers that are pretty much guaranteed to sound very good, if I can cut wood products and follow instructions and purchase the right bits.

It's not the speakers so much as the road to getting there. Speakers that sound good are very cool; I love to listen to them. And perhaps one day I'll build a set from plans that are community works like those found on the websites you mentioned, and I'll buy the right drivers and the right crossovers and spend time making all my carpentry and laminating skills work well, and I'll have something incredible-sounding as a result. But that's really not what I want at the moment.

I like the old Popular Mechanics and Popular Science articles because they're imprecise; they're a starting place. No speaker parameters, no anechoic testing, no computer modeling. Plenty of room for error, room to hack and make changes based on gut feelings and hare-brained ideas and just play. Throw in cheap drivers, change 'em out. Turn the angle on a board, make it shorter or longer or thicker or whatnot. Experiment with damping materials and construction materials and drivers and wire and crossovers (for multi-drivers, etc).

What I'm looking for is not nearly as likely to produce something known to be good. Perhaps that's the point for me. Does that make any sense?

I'm not sure I know exactly how to explain, but I'll try.

When I cut the tail lights out of my 1972 Ford Maverick and modded a set of junkyard 1969 Lincoln Cougar tail lights to fit in the holes, I was pursuing a goal that seemed likely to yield something interesting, unique, and cheap. It was DIY in the hands-on and risky sense; it might have failed miserably and looked bad, or not worked, and left me with a sense of regret. On the other hand, since it did work, and got lots of positive comments from people, it gave me great joy.

They also made fiberglas kits at the time to modify how your car looked. Sure, it was DIY, but it had been done, it was pretty much guaranteed to work and to look good. It was more about your skills with bondo and sanding and painting than your intuition and inventiveness. The goal was not just to to DIY, but to do it just like the instructions called for, using parts which were guaranteed to fit.

I have been looking at the various speaker-building websites for a long time, because certain speaker concepts fascinate me; full range drivers and open enclosures and folded horns and so on. And this takes me into learning more about the history of these things; where did they come from? What were they like originally? So I have an historical curiosity, not just a desire to build a set of speakers that are pretty much guaranteed to sound very good, if I can cut wood products and follow instructions and purchase the right bits.

It's not the speakers so much as the road to getting there. Speakers that sound good are very cool; I love to listen to them. And perhaps one day I'll build a set from plans that are community works like those found on the websites you mentioned, and I'll buy the right drivers and the right crossovers and spend time making all my carpentry and laminating skills work well, and I'll have something incredible-sounding as a result. But that's really not what I want at the moment.

I like the old Popular Mechanics and Popular Science articles because they're imprecise; they're a starting place. No speaker parameters, no anechoic testing, no computer modeling. Plenty of room for error, room to hack and make changes based on gut feelings and hare-brained ideas and just play. Throw in cheap drivers, change 'em out. Turn the angle on a board, make it shorter or longer or thicker or whatnot. Experiment with damping materials and construction materials and drivers and wire and crossovers (for multi-drivers, etc).

What I'm looking for is not nearly as likely to produce something known to be good. Perhaps that's the point for me. Does that make any sense?
That makes total sense and touches a few of my preferences as well. I collect older craft, hobby, and DIY books, stuff from periods in history where simplicity ruled and function was a lot more important than form.

The horn box you linked to is attractive in that it doesn't take up a lot of room and should be a good jumping off spot. Really, once you understand the principles and geometry involved, a builder can tweak a proven design or invent his own with little trouble. The adjustable compression chamber of the horn I pictured is just such a tweak.

In the articles section of the full-range driver forum there are a few articles by Ron Clark, the designer of the horn I built and a few others. In a few of those articles he lays out a lot of the principles of getting the most out of a given size of horn and the physics involved. One particular attribute that is not used by others (at least I haven't seen it), is the radiusing of the mouth by cutting the side panels in arcs. This simple design aspect allows the horn to produce more lower frequency reinforcement.

Good luck with your horn build and enjoy the journey of the path less travelled.:thmbsp:

Are these the same drivers I have on my shelf? Lol, I can't remember who I got them from. If you do run across the T/S params, I'd sure like to know what they are.

More than likely, yes. I got mine from Stephen J a while back. I'll get you those parameters if I ever find them.

Thanks, yes, something goofy with my puter. None of the "google books" loads for me.

Not sure what the issue is. Running a virus scan, but, don't really think that is the problem. Windows 7, still need to figure it out. Thanks, YD

Webpage error details:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MAAU; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 01:03:35 UTC

Line: 45
Char: 767
Code: 0
URI: http://books.google.com/books/v2mcore_cedfd6745506b484612a5c3dd7b95a45.js

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, something goofy with my puter. None of the "google books" loads for me.

Not sure what the issue is. Running a virus scan, but, don't really think that is the problem. Windows 7, still need to figure it out. Thanks, YD

Webpage error details:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MAAU; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 01:03:35 UTC

Line: 45
Char: 767
Code: 0
URI: http://books.google.com/books/v2mcore_cedfd6745506b484612a5c3dd7b95a45.js

I think it doesn't like your installation or version of Firefox. If you still have Internet Explorer installed try it with that. If it opens, it's your Firefox. It may need updating or a new plug-in. (I know that IE s***s lemons but sometimes its useful to keep around.)

Good Luck

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom